LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 12-18-2014, 02:03 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 70
Thanks (Received): 57
Likes (Given): 425
Likes (Received): 139
Techniques

Being basically new to the world of snow blowing and buying my first new snow blower ( Ariens 24" sho ) this year , I don't want to abuse my machine. It will get used hard over the years , but cutting down the learning curve a bit will help a lot ,both in the short term as well as in the long run.
I changed the oil already at just under 5 hours of engine running time and plan to do that again after the next 5-10 hours.
I've learned how to go slow and if needed take less than a full width bite cutting back the piles from the plow along the length the driveway / road.
So my first question is regarding the snow at the end of the road and the corners of my driveway where the plow puts them.
I don't see an easy way not to take a full bite in those areas ( for the first pass) , what I did was to use the drive clutch and just tap it forward , wait a second or three to clear out the bucket and impeller , rinse and repeat .
Am I doing it wrong ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-18-2014, 02:08 PM

Location: Magnetic Hill, New Brunswick Canada Average snowfall (111.0'')282.0cms
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 123
Likes (Given): 42
Likes (Received): 873
Lowest gear if gear driven and your idea is the right one. You will eventually get the feel for different snows and will quickly get the hang of it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
''Never drive faster than your guardian ANGEL can fly''
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 Old 12-18-2014, 02:49 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 72
Thanks (Received): 397
Likes (Given): 182
Likes (Received): 928
yep, that sounds right, thats how I do it.
for the "first bite" of the EOD snow, (End Of Driveway) you have no choice but to do a "full bite"..
just take it slow..
then for the rest of the EOD I usually do half bites, just because that snow is often wetter, denser and heavier than the "normal" snow, because of the road salt.

then for the "normal" snow in the rest of the driveway, I can generally go for 3/4 bites.
My technique is:

Start at the garage (where the snowblower lives) Do the first pass right down the middle of the driveway, throwing to the right. (most snowblowers throw better to the right than they do to the left.)

Get to the EOD, do that first bite, as discuused above.
then I clear out ALL of the EOD first! because of the salt.
by clearing the EOD first, and doing the rest of the driveway after, all that unsalted "clean" snow can help clear out the salty snow from the blower.

After the EOD is done, then I go back up the right side of the first center strip, blowing to the right. back down to the road on the opposite side, still blowing to the right..
the center strip gets gradually wider on both sides, going out to the edges from the center.

Sometimes the snow throwing direction needs to be modified if winds are heavy, but most of the time I can throw to the right on both sides..

Scot

Last edited by sscotsman; 12-18-2014 at 02:52 PM.
post #4 of 7 Old 12-18-2014, 04:12 PM
Retired Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 197
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 251
If you needed to do half passes at the end of your driveway you could always go sideways instead. You will just need to clear out some working room for you.

The most important things to remember are blow with the wind and always start furthest away from the direction you are blowing. You should never try blowing snow over top of an area you already did because then you end up doing double work.

Some people start in the middle and blow to both sides while some people have to start on one side and can only blow to the other side. Also, the lower you keep the top diverter the less the wind is going to blow the snow.

Try to clear your area of any rocks, sticks and toys before it snows so you don't hit anything buried in the snow.

The other thing that can be helpful is get as much snow away from the street as possible. Also consider cleaning out a big spot in the tree lawn on the house before yours in the direction the snow plow comes from. This empty hole will create a spot for the snow on the plow so it goes somewhere else besides into your driveway.

If you are pushing the snow, riding up on the snow, spilling over the sides or constantly fighting to keep the front end down you are going too fast. Let the machine do the work and not you, but don't try to kill it.

Please direct all snow blower questions to the forums and not to me with PMs.
post #5 of 7 Old 12-18-2014, 04:35 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Given): 11
Likes (Received): 11
I do what Shryp suggested. I go from left to right and do half cuts at the end of the driveway. Basically I always travel down the right side of the driveway. About 10ft. from the end of driveway I turn the thrower left on a 45 degree angle so that I end up on the left side of the driveway. I also turn the chute to throw the snow to the left side once I cut to go on the 45. Then I clear from left to right the untouched snow before the end of driveway. Then I start in on the end of driveway stuff doing half to 3/4 cuts depending on ts consistency.

Like someone also said, If its windy, lower the chute so it does not blow back into you or create a drift. The speed of your machine is predicated on the type of snow you are trying to throw.
post #6 of 7 Old 12-19-2014, 11:16 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 70
Thanks (Received): 57
Likes (Given): 425
Likes (Received): 139
Thanks , better to ask than to learn the hard way
post #7 of 7 Old 12-19-2014, 11:18 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 172
Thanks (Received): 308
Likes (Given): 450
Likes (Received): 1027
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1894 View Post
Thanks , better to ask than to learn the hard way
Smart man. The wisest people are the ones who aren't afraid to ask.

Joe
Sent from my wife's old Toshiba
Ariens 921001
Toro 38074- sold
Toro CCR 3650E-sold
Toro 5/21 sold
Ariens 5/22 ss
Ariens Sno Tek 7/24 sold.
Old green plastic snow shovel... Sent.to shovel Heaven
Old quarry shovel for ice.
New.green shovel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page