post #1 of 26 Old 12-21-2014, 09:30 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
Which Ariens do I need?

Hi,

I'm looking for some advice. I live in South Eastern CT and while we don't get as much snow as other parts of CT, it is usually wet (due to the proximity to the ocean). I have been mulling over buying an Ariens for years. Of course, I want the 420cc engin (28" pro). I think it is more machine than I need if you look just at the length of my driveway. But we get wet snow here and the plow dump on my driveway is significant. I worry a lesser machine can't handle it. The other factor is that I want a Briggs engine. All the other (smaller) Ariens come with LCT engines. Assuming the LCT engine is good enough, what size engine/torque would work for me? I don't want to get stuck with a machine that can't handle the most important part of blowing snow, which is the compacted snow the plow leaves behind.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 12-21-2014, 09:37 AM
pfn

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 13
Thanks (Received): 6
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 11
A 28" Pro should handle just about anything you might get.
I have a tracked Pro and I would strongly advise avoiding tracks. Tracks are too difficult to maneuver and unnecessary in nearly all cases. Wheels are, imho, the way to go and if you need additional traction they make chains.
Save your money and back.
post #3 of 26 Old 12-21-2014, 09:47 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfn View Post
A 28" Pro should handle just about anything you might get.
I have a tracked Pro and I would strongly advise avoiding tracks. Tracks are too difficult to maneuver and unnecessary in nearly all cases. Wheels are, imho, the way to go and if you need additional traction they make chains.
Save your money and back.
But could I fare well with a smaller (and cheaper) machine? The 420cc machine would eat pretty much anything in CT, but my question was more of if it is overkill and if a smaller machine will work. I have never had a snowblower, so not sure if dropping $2100 on the pro is wise.
post #4 of 26 Old 12-21-2014, 09:53 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 10
Likes (Given): 21
Likes (Received): 25
Ed take a look at a Ariens 24" SHO (921038)

http://www.knightsinc.com/ariensplatinum24sho.htm

2018 Ariens 938025 Professional 21 inch
2018 Ariens 921050 Platinum 369cc SHO 24"
2011 John Deere X728/47" Quick Hitch Snowblower

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Life is too short to sweat the petty stuff

Last edited by vmaxed; 12-21-2014 at 12:13 PM. Reason: add link
post #5 of 26 Old 12-21-2014, 10:08 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 36
Thanks (Received): 45
Likes (Given): 65
Likes (Received): 94
Hay Eddie. Welcome to the forum. Lots of good information and "opinions" here.

In my "opinion" I would look at the deluxe 28 +. That has the LCT 291 engine, them same engine I have in my deluxe 30. Here in Minnesota the first couple of snow falls are wet and heavy before the real cold weather sets in, then it is very dry. My 30" does a good job in the wet heavy stuff. Our first snowfall in November we got 9" of what I call "white cow chit". I have a driveway that is 3 cars wide at the top and tappers to 2 cars wide at the bottom. At the top I was not able to throw the full width of the drive like I could at the bottom. Still pretty good, as my neighbors with a Toro, Troy, Craftsman, and MTD where having huge issues with clogging, let alone throwing it with any distance. In fact one neighbor came over (the one with a brand new Craftsman) to see what motor I had as he was surprise with what I was accomplishing.

I also feel part of moving white cow chit is your technique of finding the fine line of keeping the impeller full of snow, with out plowing. Keeping the impeller full of snow keeps the snow moving thru the housing and has less chance of getting hung up or clogging. My "younger" neighbors have yet to figure this out. Kids,,,,,,,,, haha.

2014 Ariens Deluxe 30 #921032 w/Armor skids, LED's, Hand warmers.
2015 Ariens Path Pro SS-21 # 938033
2010 Toro 1800 Power curve (electric, for the deck)
2009 Toro Power Shovel (electric, for deck steps)
post #6 of 26 Old 12-21-2014, 10:10 AM
pfn

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 13
Thanks (Received): 6
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 11
I don't know what you have to clear but a 28' machine is big enough for the biggest jobs. A smaller machine would be preferable unless you have very large areas to clear.
The bigger the machine the heavier it will be and more difficult to handle.
I don't have a lot of experience with smaller machines but there are many folks hare have them and seem very satisfied. I bought a large blower and I now wish I had gone smaller and trackless even though I am clearing a steep, 600' drive with parking for 10 cars.
Give you decision a lot of thought as you will live with it for a long time. Unfortunately, we don't get younger and stronger.

Last edited by pfn; 12-21-2014 at 10:12 AM.
post #7 of 26 Old 12-21-2014, 03:14 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 5
Likes (Given): 5
Likes (Received): 8
You say you want a Briggs engine, but I highly recommend you think otherwise. I am a welder and do a lot of work for two engine repair shops/dealers, and talk to the mechanics all the time. Briggs has outsourced almost all their manufacturing to China as has just about every other company, that's no different. What is different is that they have laxed their quality control and parts materials in an effort to maintain their margins and reduce costs. The effect has been they now have a failure rate higher than any other brand on the market today. The two shops I work with are filled with Briggs. Top brands have been Kawasaki and Honda, and Kohler has improved their new designs (stay far away from the Courage engine). The LCT made AX engine Ariens now uses isn't as well known, but they have been earning very positive feedback. I recommend you look at the larger Deluxe and Platinum models, they are pretty solid machines.
post #8 of 26 Old 12-21-2014, 04:46 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks all. I will take your comments into consideration.
post #9 of 26 Old 12-22-2014, 02:41 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Likes (Given): 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxed View Post
Ed take a look at a Ariens 24" SHO (921038)

Knight's Inc. Ariens Platinum 24
if i were to buy a brand new blower i would seriously consider this one. 14'' inch impeller, bigger motor, has a few bells and whistles such as hand-warmers. Larger tires as well.

at only 24 inch wide you get the power of a bigger machine yet the small storage profile of a smaller machine.

Ideally i always liked the 28'' models as a good compromise between size and storage but this model is pretty sweet.

Honda HS 828 (Shoe-less significant restoration)
Honda HS 1132 TAS (simple restoration)
Ariens ST7524E
post #10 of 26 Old 12-27-2014, 03:50 PM

Post Thanks / Like
I have had the Deluxe 28 for about 1-1/2 years and with only about 8 hours on it. I live in South Windsor, CT, and I feel that it is completely adequate for my location. We get more snow than you, so I think it will be more than adequate for you IMHO. Good luck in whatever you choose!
Bruce
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page