LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 12-29-2014, 12:31 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 7
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 4
Likes (Received): 4
need more power?

I know this has been featured on many other forums, but i couldn't find a link for one here.

For your viewing pleasure, the Chevy big block walk behind snowblower:

So the next time you're thinking whether the bigger blower might be too much, you're probably wrong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 12-29-2014, 01:59 AM
Retired Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 197
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 251
Waste of space, gas and engine. This is all you need:

Please direct all snow blower questions to the forums and not to me with PMs.
post #3 of 11 Old 12-29-2014, 02:25 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 50
Thanks (Received): 76
Likes (Given): 70
Likes (Received): 137
I agree, Why not put a Predator 420cc engine on with an airtight impeller kit and increase the top pulley size a bit and it would throw 50 feet easily. A Chevy 454 is way too big and simply a waste of power and an engine.
post #4 of 11 Old 12-29-2014, 05:11 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 17
Thanks (Received): 7
Likes (Given): 59
Likes (Received): 26
I'm impressed and I'm jealous. That dude got skills!
post #5 of 11 Old 12-29-2014, 08:52 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 16
Likes (Received): 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by GustoGuy View Post
I agree, Why not put a Predator 420cc engine on with an airtight impeller kit and increase the top pulley size a bit and it would throw 50 feet easily. A Chevy 454 is way too big and simply a waste of power and an engine.
Exactly. Mine would toss snow well over 50 feet, and the motor only cost $280

1972 Ariens 13/32 restored & repowered
1971 Ariens 7/24 (retired)
2011 Ariens Deluxe 24
1980 Ariens st7/24 (retired)
1985 Ariens st10/36
post #6 of 11 Old 12-29-2014, 09:43 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 587
Thanks (Received): 767
Likes (Given): 4350
Likes (Received): 1734
Garage
I think every new person posts that snow blower like they discovered something new. With enough time and money you can top it using a Jaguar V12 or something but what's the point. It's like having the time and money to build a pumpkin chunkin machine. Expensive bragging rights.

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 11 Old 12-29-2014, 10:37 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 172
Thanks (Received): 308
Likes (Given): 450
Likes (Received): 1027
Dude has more dollars than ...sense. Nice vid but what a waste of horsepower, fuel, machinery, etc. I think I'll stick with my slightly modified Toro 5/21.

Joe
Sent from my wife's old Toshiba
Ariens 921001
Toro 38074- sold
Toro CCR 3650E-sold
Toro 5/21 sold
Ariens 5/22 ss
Ariens Sno Tek 7/24 sold.
Old green plastic snow shovel... Sent.to shovel Heaven
Old quarry shovel for ice.
New.green shovel
post #8 of 11 Old 12-29-2014, 12:56 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 29
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 66
I enjoyed my modifying project. It wasn't because I need more power or that the 8hp tec couldn't do the job.. It was because I wanted the challenge to see if I could do it and see if it would perform. Of course the looks is part too. If I was younger I would not of had the time as I was working all the time. I was a kid who couldn't afford high dollar Hot rods but loved the hp of the 70's muscle cars. I did have couple Cudas and vette- but them days are long past- but still liked the power and the sound of those old cars.. So give me a snowblower/big motor/little extra cash to spend/right tools and wild imagination..and the way I go. Beats sitting in a chair then dragging out a blower that is stock and gets the job done, but not much fun doing it. I 'enjoy' the performance increase and knowing the idea you had and time put in- actually 'worked'. I think we all got a little 'kid' in us and in my case my snowblower is the result. Now the 454 v-8 is way more than needed- But then again- his time, his money, his desire to make it work.. so guess it's up to him. I respect everyone's project whether it be just going to better skid shoes or changing to a predator motor or restoring to stock. It is theirs bought and paid for so it is their choice. I actually tip my hat off to those restoring oldies back to their original shape just like it was leaving factory- a big undertaking for sure. I think their is a place for every venture and a group of people who will like each one whichever direction you go with it.. Now.. only if we could get some snow!

Last edited by Geno; 12-29-2014 at 01:10 PM.
post #9 of 11 Old 01-04-2015, 01:33 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 50
Thanks (Received): 76
Likes (Given): 70
Likes (Received): 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geno View Post
I enjoyed my modifying project. It wasn't because I need more power or that the 8hp tec couldn't do the job.. It was because I wanted the challenge to see if I could do it and see if it would perform. Of course the looks is part too. If I was younger I would not of had the time as I was working all the time. I was a kid who couldn't afford high dollar Hot rods but loved the hp of the 70's muscle cars. I did have couple Cudas and vette- but them days are long past- but still liked the power and the sound of those old cars.. So give me a snowblower/big motor/little extra cash to spend/right tools and wild imagination..and the way I go. Beats sitting in a chair then dragging out a blower that is stock and gets the job done, but not much fun doing it. I 'enjoy' the performance increase and knowing the idea you had and time put in- actually 'worked'. I think we all got a little 'kid' in us and in my case my snowblower is the result. Now the 454 v-8 is way more than needed- But then again- his time, his money, his desire to make it work.. so guess it's up to him. I respect everyone's project whether it be just going to better skid shoes or changing to a predator motor or restoring to stock. It is theirs bought and paid for so it is their choice. I actually tip my hat off to those restoring oldies back to their original shape just like it was leaving factory- a big undertaking for sure. I think their is a place for every venture and a group of people who will like each one whichever direction you go with it.. Now.. only if we could get some snow!
I am looking forward to seeing your 22 HP Honda Twin powered Ariens toss the snow greater than 50 feet. My Neighbor who has a newer 2 stage blower was shocked at how well my repowered blower worked. I wish I would have put the 301cc 8hp Predator on the old Mongomery Ward 8/26 along with a 4 inch diameter top pulley. His machine is total overkill but it looks nice with the flames carved into the drift cutters and the radiator with the V8 emblem on it. I only used my blower twice this year. One was for a 1 foot snowfall the other was about 2 to 4 inches. I only put 48 miles on my Polaris and I am getting the itch to go on a serious ride soon so lets have some snow.
post #10 of 11 Old 01-04-2015, 12:30 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 12
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 39
I think the bigger engines are fun to watch but after a V-twin 22HP, what's the point? That V8 suffered from lack of a governor for sure among other things.

'77 Ariens 924032 "Brick House" Re-Powered with a TEC 10HP and oversize auger pulley
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page