LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 01-04-2015, 10:25 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 4
Likes (Received): 1
Little frustrated...

Not much you guys can do but I just needed to vent. I have an old 2 stage ariens that I sold my aunt for cheap. It ran fine for me you just have to give it time to cut through the snow. Its only a 3.5hp so not a ton of power. Just back off when it bogs down or take a smaller cut. I used it with no issues at my house.

Well the other night we got a solid 6-8" of snow. She sends me a text saying it runs and dies when she tries to use it. I ask her if she has it at full throttle with the choke off and she said yes. I know she is just trying to do too much with it.

She Said "My neighbor just used his with no issues. I went and asked him what he had and its a 15hp craftsman 2 stage" Well no $hit it worked better. Its bigger and more powerful. I didnt tell her that but I did tell her its more powerful and thats why it worked better.

Now I have to drive out to her house and see what the problem is, or just buy it back. Little frustrating.

Ford ST726
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 01-04-2015, 10:33 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 36
Thanks (Received): 45
Likes (Given): 65
Likes (Received): 94
I feel your pain.

I learned years ago to NEVER sell or give anything to family. Nutt'n but a hassel.

All I can say is good luck sir.

Edited to add:
The more I think about it, just buy it back. She will never be happy unless she has something that throws as good as the neighbors, cause she will continue to compare to that one, and you will be shamed to the rest of the family.

Unless you are like me and are already a family outcast.

2014 Ariens Deluxe 30 #921032 w/Armor skids, LED's, Hand warmers.
2015 Ariens Path Pro SS-21 # 938033
2010 Toro 1800 Power curve (electric, for the deck)
2009 Toro Power Shovel (electric, for deck steps)

Last edited by liftoff1967; 01-04-2015 at 10:37 AM. Reason: more thinking
post #3 of 19 Old 01-04-2015, 10:37 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 10
Thanks (Received): 19
Likes (Given): 9
Likes (Received): 59
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOTHEMAX View Post
Not much you guys can do but I just needed to vent. I have an old 2 stage ariens that I sold my aunt for cheap. It ran fine for me you just have to give it time to cut through the snow. Its only a 3.5hp so not a ton of power. Just back off when it bogs down or take a smaller cut. I used it with no issues at my house.

Well the other night we got a solid 6-8" of snow. She sends me a text saying it runs and dies when she tries to use it. I ask her if she has it at full throttle with the choke off and she said yes. I know she is just trying to do too much with it.

She Said "My neighbor just used his with no issues. I went and asked him what he had and its a 15hp craftsman 2 stage" Well no $hit it worked better. Its bigger and more powerful. I didnt tell her that but I did tell her its more powerful and thats why it worked better.

Now I have to drive out to her house and see what the problem is, or just buy it back. Little frustrating.
I would have told her, "Well no $hit it worked better. Its bigger and more powerful." Why didn't you tell her that?

Compare it to racing against a full blown out dragster on the quarter mile with a Volkswagen.

I hate shoveling SNOW!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Craftsman #536886141(Around 2000?)
5 Horse, Tecumseh HSSK50-67392S
22" Dual Stage
"Classic" 1963 S-226 Snowbird
4 Horse (orig) Briggs & Stratton#6305201
22" Dual Stage
post #4 of 19 Old 01-04-2015, 10:43 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 36
Thanks (Received): 45
Likes (Given): 65
Likes (Received): 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Ed View Post
Compare it to racing against a full blown out dragster on the quarter mile with a Volkswagen.
Or a camping stove to a household stove top. They both do the same thing, just one is a little more effective than the other.

2014 Ariens Deluxe 30 #921032 w/Armor skids, LED's, Hand warmers.
2015 Ariens Path Pro SS-21 # 938033
2010 Toro 1800 Power curve (electric, for the deck)
2009 Toro Power Shovel (electric, for deck steps)
post #5 of 19 Old 01-04-2015, 11:01 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 10
Thanks (Received): 19
Likes (Given): 9
Likes (Received): 59
Garage
Family or not I would have said.... "Well no $hit it worked better. Its bigger and more powerful."

Then offer to buy it back at HALF the price!

The guy behind me who cleans his carbs after every use () offered to fix the "witches" next to me lawnmower. She couldn't start it, half the problem is that she doesn't pull hard enough! He told her that the carb needs cleaning and a new plug would help her starting it. She buys the cheapest crap out there then does nothing to maintain it.
He offered to clean the carb for free and that she just buy the parts. She just bought a new plug...didn't want to spend the money on the carb kit.
So he GAVE her (free) a can of starting fluid and it starts right away. Not really good for the motor but she doesn't care.

But she had the nerve to complain to me about to his work!
She said all he did was give me a can of this starting fluid.

I told her that she should have had him rebuild and clean the carb as he had told me the whole story before hand.

Some people are just born to "witch" she witches about EVERYTHING.
And most of her problems are because of her own doings, I ignore her most of the time.

I hate shoveling SNOW!

Craftsman #536886141(Around 2000?)
5 Horse, Tecumseh HSSK50-67392S
22" Dual Stage
"Classic" 1963 S-226 Snowbird
4 Horse (orig) Briggs & Stratton#6305201
22" Dual Stage
post #6 of 19 Old 01-04-2015, 11:17 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 6
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 3
Send a message via AIM to SteelyTim
Weird, I get the opposite. The ones that kill me are the people that buy used scrap off CL, and when I check it out for them it becomes painfully apparent that they've never used a snowblower before. First thing they do is grab the recoil and yank like a friggin lumberjack.....so hard that you swear that recoil's gonna fly apart.

In fact I repaired a Toro for a friend that the bolts behind the flywheel that hold the recoil back cover came loose (one fell out) because of repetitive hard pulling, the cover became cockeyed on the engine, and the drive dog broke out of the recoil assembly.
post #7 of 19 Old 01-04-2015, 11:17 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 4
Likes (Received): 1
Yeah lesson learned. Ill buy it back and throw it on CL

Ford ST726
post #8 of 19 Old 01-04-2015, 11:32 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 225
Thanks (Received): 295
Likes (Given): 1878
Likes (Received): 661
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOTHEMAX View Post
Yeah lesson learned. Ill buy it back and throw it on CL
if there is still some snow to blow over your aunts way take her out and show her that the machine does work and explain that its not big enough to keep up with her neighbors craftsman, it just doesn't have the size or power. a few years before joining SBF i sold a ccr2000 to a friend and ended up getting the same type of call from him. i went over and we took the toro down to a vacant house and i showed him how to use it right, had to explain that wasn't a beast of a snowblower but could get the job done, he still uses it to this day and tells everyone that i saved his back

current machines
1-toro2450E-38419. 1-toro3000E-38435. 1-toro 3650E-38445
2-toro 521E-38052. 1-toro xl824pt 38086
1-.............,TORO XL 624ps..............
1-............, TORO XL 824ps..............
william
post #9 of 19 Old 01-04-2015, 11:49 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 29
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 66
Is She alone? reason I ask is if her 'better half mechanic' decided to make it cut faster and maybe played with carb adjust and got it to lean? just had to ask.. but sounds like not the case. Yea- I'd show her how to use and it's abilitys if taken slow. Or as you mentioned, just buy back and sell on cl.
post #10 of 19 Old 01-04-2015, 12:14 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 40
Likes (Given): 10
Likes (Received): 149
Offer to take her shopping for something that may meet her expectations. That will open her eyes to what she has. Then you can take it back and flip it. In fact you can flip it for her. Being prime season, if you gave her the family deal she should be able to turn a profit towards her new machine that has a local servicing dealer.

I agree, avoid selling to family. And what ever you do don't buy audio / visual equipment with any complexity for them either. Have you heard the term Perpetual Care?

Pete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page