LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 01-06-2015, 10:46 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
New engine!

Im the proud owner of a 1981 John Deere 1032 with a 10 horse Tehcumseh engine. Well last winter the engine threw a rod in the middle of a job, I was done for the year. I went to Harbor Freight last Oct, and bought a 8 horse predator engine for $130 on sale. I had to buy a new pulley and belts, another $60. So while I had the engine off, I went ahead and went over everything on the snowblower, but nothing else needed replaced on it. Long story short, I just used it for the first time today, WOW! It runs better than it ever has since Iv'e owned it, now granted it's not electric start anymore, but it starts on the first pull every time, and throws snow much futher. So for less than $200 and some of my time, I have a snowthower that is far better built than most any new one made today!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-06-2015, 12:33 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 35
Likes (Given): 4
Likes (Received): 81
I have repowered at least 4 snowblowers with both the 11hp and the 6.5hp harborfreight engines over the last 4 years or so. All are still running strong and still start on the first or second pull. I have one with a 6.5 and one with an 11 that i use and my brothers both use ones with the 6.5.
post #3 of 11 Old 01-06-2015, 09:39 PM

Post Thanks / Like
I kind of wish I would have gone the Predator route, but I put a Tecumseh 10HP Snow King on my 1980 JD 1032 instead, when my OEM engine gave up the ghost (threw a rod and punched through the side of the block). I'm not happy with the Tecumseh engine because it runs rough (occasional miss), vibrates, and is very loud. I've done everything under the sun to make it run smoother (rebuilt carb, no vac leaks, lapped valves), but the vibrations won't smooth out. Just not happy with the Tecumseh.
post #4 of 11 Old 01-06-2015, 10:32 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 50
Thanks (Received): 76
Likes (Given): 70
Likes (Received): 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolman_Johnny View Post
I kind of wish I would have gone the Predator route, but I put a Tecumseh 10HP Snow King on my 1980 JD 1032 instead, when my OEM engine gave up the ghost (threw a rod and punched through the side of the block). I'm not happy with the Tecumseh engine because it runs rough (occasional miss), vibrates, and is very loud. I've done everything under the sun to make it run smoother (rebuilt carb, no vac leaks, lapped valves), but the vibrations won't smooth out. Just not happy with the Tecumseh.
Did you use the 301cc Predator? I only have the 212cc Predators. Two are on snowblowers and one is on the Doodle Beast minibike. I heard that the 301cc can make 10hp or more just by fatting up the jetting and hogging out the stock restrictive air box. I nearly doubled the size of the opening to the carburetor on my stock Predator 212cc on the mini bike only. I then richened up the stock jetting and boy what a change!. My stepdaughter rode it and whisky throttled it and wheelied it over off the curb and bruised her hip. The next spring her boyfriend rode it in the yard and he too wheelied it over. I needed to do something so I added 18lbs of Steel to the front end to stop the unintentional wheeling. 6Lbs down low on the frame just in front of the engine and 12lbs on the name plate badge on the fork. Now it just goes forward and not over. I also added a much better Rebond Ultra dense heavy duty foam seat with red ribbing on the trim and red stiching to it because at nearly 40 mph the terrible stock seat was a weapon of a$$ destruction. I have a sticker on the back of the mini bike that says "Hot Rod Mini Bike"

Here are some pictures of the bike and the airbox mod.

Last edited by GustoGuy; 09-02-2015 at 12:48 AM.
post #5 of 11 Old 01-06-2015, 10:47 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolman_Johnny View Post
Is it a flat head? They were notoriously inefficient compare to modern OHV Honda engines. Back when I was going to school I did some maintenance for a Lawn and landscaping service.
One of the co-owners of the service was a mechanic by trade and he now owns an agricultural fertilizer company.
We had 4 42-inch walk behind hydrostatic mowers and 2 were powered with Briggs and Stratton Commercial engines and the other two were powered by Kawasaki commercial engines. We also had a seed spreader and a lawn aerator, which were powered by Honda engines. Well to make a long story short the Kawasaki and Honda engines were so much better than the poor running Briggs and Stratton commercial engines. They were much quieter and smoother and used less fuel. Maybe your Tecumseh will assist you in making a descision to get a new engine.
post #6 of 11 Old 01-08-2015, 08:33 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I believe that the 301cc Predator engine rates out to 9. something hp, if you trust that it's truly 301cc's. I do know that it is a Honda clone, but for the price, it's one heck of a lot cheaper than a real Honda engine or a new snowblower. It runs very smooth, starts easily (usually first pull), and is very strong!
post #7 of 11 Old 01-08-2015, 09:11 PM

Post Thanks / Like
The Harbor Freight predator engines run very strong. NR racing sells hop up kits that you can buy to increase the power of the engines. With the Stage 4 kit which includes low restriction exhaust and air intake billet connecting rod and billet flywheel rated at 8500rpms as well as heavier valve springs and a racing profile camshaft with forged racing pistons which increase compression put out 14 HP according to dyno tests. That is double the stock HP output. 14Hp out of just 212cc is similar power to CC ratio of what a liquid cooled car engine would put out. My 2-liter Hyundai 4 cylinder is rated at 140 hp. The 14/212cc =0.066037. So 0.066037 x 2000cc = 132HP for a 4 cylinder or for a 5 Liter V8 at this would be 0.066037 x 5000cc = 330.18HP. This is an air-cooled engine we are talking about not a liquid cooled one. Pretty impressive that they are able to get this much power out of such a small engine when you think about it.

Last edited by GustoGuy; 01-08-2015 at 10:00 PM.
post #8 of 11 Old 01-09-2015, 03:08 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by GustoGuy View Post
Is it a flat head? They were notoriously inefficient compare to modern OHV Honda engines.
Yep, the Tecumseh SnowKings are all flat heads (read: crappy, vibrating and loud).
post #9 of 11 Old 01-09-2015, 06:10 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 30
Thanks (Received): 40
Likes (Given): 27
Likes (Received): 44
Toolman, those are the primary reasons I swapped my old tecumseh out for a new 301cc...I just didn't like the vibrating noisy engine. New ine is under break-in period right now, it's all rejetted and will finish that up tomorrow idling in front of the garage then an oil change follows. New engine has noticeably less noisy, idles smoother, and doesn't shake the machine much. It was an impulse thing, bored and felt like aproject since we had no snow and the forecast for a week out was clear I felt I had a window of time to do the swap. Old Tecumseh 8 starts easy still,will go on CL for whatever I can get for it.
post #10 of 11 Old 01-09-2015, 08:43 PM
pfn

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 13
Thanks (Received): 6
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by GustoGuy View Post
Is it a flat head? They were notoriously inefficient compare to modern OHV Honda engines. Back when I was going to school I did some maintenance for a Lawn and landscaping service.
One of the co-owners of the service was a mechanic by trade and he now owns an agricultural fertilizer company.
We had 4 42-inch walk behind hydrostatic mowers and 2 were powered with Briggs and Stratton Commercial engines and the other two were powered by Kawasaki commercial engines. We also had a seed spreader and a lawn aerator, which were powered by Honda engines. Well to make a long story short the Kawasaki and Honda engines were so much better than the poor running Briggs and Stratton commercial engines. They were much quieter and smoother and used less fuel. Maybe your Tecumseh will assist you in making a descision to get a new engine.
Interesting.
Do you know if all the landscape equipment engines were of the same period? Hopefully, the Briggs was older? I'd be surprised if you remember, I'm sure I wouldn't, but...

Last edited by pfn; 01-09-2015 at 08:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page