Advice on 10+ year old Simplicity Sno-Away 8 Large Frame - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 01-09-2015, 10:00 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Smile Advice on 10+ year old Simplicity Sno-Away 8 Large Frame

Hi guys,

First post here.

I'm going to be checking out this used snowblower:

snow blower

According to the seller, he's the original owner, he thinks it's approximately 10 years old (but he's not sure), and he said that it works great with very little rust. When I asked him about what preventive maintenance was performed on it, he said that he uses his "lawnmower guy" to pick up and service his mower and blower every year. He's an older guy, and says he's only selling it because maneuvering it hurts his back.

What is your opinion of this machine? Reliable? Moves snow well? I'm not as old as the seller, but I'm no spring chicken either (51 yrs old). Just how beastly are these large-frame blowers to maneuver?

Thanks!

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 01-09-2015, 10:17 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 18
Thanks (Received): 39
Likes (Given): 53
Likes (Received): 100
Those are top of the line blowers, very good one's

Scott
69 ariens
toro 721r
toro 926 hd oxe
78 powerking 1614/48'' haban snowblower
post #3 of 19 Old 01-09-2015, 10:25 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 24
Likes (Given): 5
Likes (Received): 33
Simplicity snow blower

That's a sweet deal if you ask me. Id buy that just because it's a cool machine. Of course I am biased<have a simplicity> but will admit there are more knowledgeable folks on here. Heck I'm the new guy.
post #4 of 19 Old 01-09-2015, 10:30 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 35
Likes (Given): 4
Likes (Received): 81
300 is a very good price for this machine. It is very well built and will last many years it properly maintained. It would be a no brainer for me if i was looking for another machine.
post #5 of 19 Old 01-09-2015, 10:36 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Received): 0
Thanks for the quick replies.

Does anyone have any experience using these machines? Just how hard are they to maneuver? The seller is selling because he can't handle this blower anymore. I'm sure I'm more fit than he is, but I'll be curious to see just how ridiculous it is to rotate when changing directions.

He told me that the little lever beneath the left hand grip releases traction from one wheel, which should make it easier to rotate the machine. But still, if this machine is super front-heavy, it still might be hard to do....
post #6 of 19 Old 01-09-2015, 10:37 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 231
Thanks (Received): 199
Likes (Given): 2041
Likes (Received): 517
Welcome Steve!

I can't say for sure but it looks like a Tecumseh OHV engine...not their bread and butter(L-heads) however OHV is generally a better motor design...just don't know how well the Tecumseh OHV's performed relative to Honda & Briggs. I'd like to have one just to play with it!

As far as the price...I think it's reasonable as long as it's in good shape & the engine is sound...hard to gauge with the blurry images.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
('89 Toro 824)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
('70 Allis-Chalmers Tracker-7)

('80 Toro 724)

('71 Ariens 910965 SnoThro 524)

('87 Toro 38150 826)
post #7 of 19 Old 01-09-2015, 10:48 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 24
Likes (Given): 5
Likes (Received): 33
using machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgoldste01 View Post
Thanks for the quick replies.

Does anyone have any experience using these machines? Just how hard are they to maneuver? The seller is selling because he can't handle this blower anymore. I'm sure I'm more fit than he is, but I'll be curious to see just how ridiculous it is to rotate when changing directions.

He told me that the little lever beneath the left hand grip releases traction from one wheel, which should make it easier to rotate the machine. But still, if this machine is super front-heavy, it still might be hard to do....
I have the 32 inch model and it is big but i let the machine do the work. I find it easier than my smaller 9 hp craftsman as it's heavier and moves thru snow with less effort. let the machine do the work as It's designed to do.
My simplicity displays no tendencies to ride up so far but to be fair last year was my first season with the machine.
We got quite a bit of snow in the Boston area last year and I cant ever remember having such fun with low effort clearing my Drives.

Oh and I'm 53 and in descent shape.
post #8 of 19 Old 01-09-2015, 02:02 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 35
Likes (Given): 4
Likes (Received): 81
I have a large frame 1984 large frame Cub Cadet that weighs over 235lbs that has a posi axle so it turns pretty easily and I am 61 years old and in good shape. You should not have any problems with the machine, as long as you let it do the work and don't try to muscle it around.
post #9 of 19 Old 01-09-2015, 02:35 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 8
Likes (Received): 5
I have the simplicity p1524e. I am 62 years old and have no problem using it. I just finished blowing about 3 fluffy inches this morning. It really shines when blowing the heavy wet stuff that other lesser blowers may struggle with. Love it. As others said, I would buy it in an instant. But of course I am biased. My blower is going on four years. Regular maintenance (new plugs, oil change, grease, etc). Hand warmers really helped this morning with the gusty winds and cold temps. Local dealer is close.
Only caveat is the blurry pictures, and no closeups of the engine. That might be a red flag, or just a lousy picture taker. My simplicity has a Briggs engine. So far no problems. Fire it up and try it out at different speeds, and turn it around a lot before buying it.

Last edited by Surge; 01-09-2015 at 02:57 PM.
post #10 of 19 Old 01-09-2015, 09:57 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 143
Likes (Received): 297
I have to agree with what everyone has said so far. It does not appear beat up, maybe a little dusty, but so am I. And if I am not mistaken, if you use the trigger axle disconnect while under power, it will allow for the machine to power around in one direction. That may take some getting used to, but manageable, as long as you plan ahead with your chute direction, it should be ok.

Garage:
MTD....2 stage(modern 8.5 HP) not my favorite
Honda HS622 TA-B - acquired at an auction- nice machine for it's size.
Toro S-140- Picked it up on trash day... it runs, sort of.
Yamaha YS 240 TB "Ricky" latest Craigslist find- on the bench now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page