LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 01-17-2015, 09:14 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 5
Simplicity thoughts?

I know simplicity makes top-notch mowers, but what about sno-throwers? Most talk on this forum seems to be Honda, Ariens, Yamaha. Are new ones o.k., or were the old ones good? Not looking for one,have a Husqvarna that I am very happy with , just curious what your thoughts are.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-17-2015, 10:14 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Received): 1
I considered them when I was searching since my friend has a 26" he got a few years ago and is very happy with it. His drive is close to 500 ft and it does a nice job. But what got me away from it and toward an Ariens is the bigger impeller on the Ariens and the number of positive reviews, and I don't like the Simplicity dealer by me. The price for the 24" simplicity pro was $1800, while my 24" Ariens SHO (with the same 306 cc engine) was $1400. Granted the simplicity comes with the BS engine while mine is the Ariens (LCT) engine. Performance wise, they should be comparable.
post #3 of 11 Old 01-17-2015, 10:20 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 13
A couple years ago I really was thinking of Simplicity or Snapper (same thing) but in the end, the price really became to large of an obstacle for me. Plus I was not crazy about the electric chute rotation as to me, it seemed like a needless chance for something to go wrong.
And the one other thing that put me off was seeing some really cheap looking Snapper mowers on the dealers floor. It made me a bit nervous of where Briggs and Stratton was taking the brand.

I ended up taking what I considered the safe route and buying an Ariens
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes osrental liked this post
post #4 of 11 Old 01-17-2015, 11:19 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 30
Thanks (Received): 40
Likes (Given): 27
Likes (Received): 44
Those two brands are great indeed but not the only choices out there if you cannot find a deal you like around you. There are also Toro and Honda that are widely available, Toro is in similar price range and of course Honda a bit more but when you look at them you'll see what sets them apart. I don't have a big enough driveway to justify it but if I did I would consider a Honda in a heartbeat.

The meltdown is under way ...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

91' Toro Powershift 824/Predator 301cc
05' Toro 3650/ 6.5 RTek
post #5 of 11 Old 01-17-2015, 11:29 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Received): 5
About 18yrs ago I was looking at single stage blowers and wanted the simplicity but the J.D. was a lot cheaper so I bought it. Still works like a champ. Sounds like the price is still an issue. So far I am very happy with the Husqvarna LCT engine on mine. I was thinking of buying an old blower to restore and was thinking Ariens or Simplicity.
post #6 of 11 Old 01-18-2015, 05:44 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Received): 1
I love my Simplicity blowers. I live off the eastern end of Lake Ontario, right in the lake effect snow belt, and they handle snow like a champ. I bought both of them used, and the only issues have been due to their previous owners.

I personally wouldn't buy a new one, though, mostly due to price. (I also prefer the manual chute controls.) Around here, you can find good used ones on Craigslist all day long for $200-$500. Not just old ones, either.

I guess everyone's experience is different though...they only new blower I've ever owned was a Husqvarna, and it was the biggest pile of garbage I've ever owned.

1990 Simplicity 824
2008 Simplicity 1060
post #7 of 11 Old 01-18-2015, 07:53 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 9
Likes (Given): 8
Likes (Received): 9
I like these models of Simplicity a lot. built like a tank and very good quality components. I upgraded mine to a new 8hp harbor freight engine and it throws awesome. I wouldn't touch a new one though.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20141230_135922.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	206.7 KB
ID:	36393  

Current machines-
1978 Bolens 8/24 (Loncin 420cc engine upgrade)
1986 toro powershift 6/24 ( 212cc Predator upgrade)
1988 Simplicity 860 (Predator 301cc upgrade)
1995 Honda HS 621
post #8 of 11 Old 01-18-2015, 07:55 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 35
Likes (Given): 4
Likes (Received): 81
I don't have any experience with the newer ones (2000 and newer), but I have had a few older ones and they all performed well and were very well built.
post #9 of 11 Old 01-18-2015, 08:28 AM
AL-

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 7
Thanks (Received): 10
Likes (Given): 4
Likes (Received): 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmag View Post
About 18yrs ago I was looking at single stage blowers and wanted the simplicity but the J.D. was a lot cheaper so I bought it. Still works like a champ. Sounds like the price is still an issue. So far I am very happy with the Husqvarna LCT engine on mine. I was thinking of buying an old blower to restore and was thinking Ariens or Simplicity.
I'm restoring a 64 Bobcat, not so much to use but because its vintage and quite unique. I think a little older Simplicity, the commercial model with square frame would be my choice to restore to use. My neighbour tells me he now has an older Ariens that his father-in -law installed a Honda motor on. I haven't seen it yet but am hoping to get a pictures of it and post it.
The spec's on the new Husqvarna 300 series are up there with a very good warranty. the service center for these in my area is in the next town and is a family run hardware store as well. A lot of people take all makes of snow blowers to be serviced from other towns around. I have heard some bad news about Husqvarna on this forum but I would think anything the owner to this hardware sells works. Snow blowers are new to me though, so for now I'm mostly listening.

Last edited by AL-; 01-18-2015 at 08:44 AM.
post #10 of 11 Old 01-18-2015, 09:21 AM
GMH

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 6
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 41
Other than this issue, I am real happy with mine.
https://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum...tml#post177058
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page