Should I Give Up Or Wait For Another Storm? - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums
View Poll Results: What should I do?
Keep it 6 54.55%
Give it 1 more try 2 18.18%
Sell it, upgrade to something better 3 27.27%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 01-24-2015, 11:15 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Red face Should I Give Up Or Wait For Another Storm?

EDIT:
I sprayed some "snow blower spray" (Silicone spray) onto the chute and other snow contact points a few hours ago. I put 2 oz of Seafoam into the tank and ran it through. After that I took the main jet off as well as the "cup" where the float sits. I used carb cleaner and some copper wire to clean everything. Reinstalled it all, started up the machine, adjusted the carb screw until it ran better than it has run before. Took a few passes in some really slushy stuff and.. WOW! Completely different machine now. Absolutely worth the $200 I paid. 100% happy with it now. Thanks for all the recommendations as well.

Hey all,

I have an older Noma 8/24, pull start unit. I picked it up in Fall for $200 so I would not have to deal with another winter of shoveling snow. Changed the spark plug, made sure everything was in decent running condition as best as I could. Oil looked good. Fuel was topped off. Up to this point we've had minor dustings to an inch of snow. Last night we received approx. 4" of snow, then .15" of ice, then rain on top of all that as temps were rising.

This morning I started the machine, let it idle for several minutes, walked it to the front yard and began trying to clear the driveway, path and some road in front of the driveway:

The slushy mess that was there kept throwing out really hard cylinders of ice that didn't break when they hit the ground. At other points it was clogging up the chute to the point where the machine would almost shut off. I had to back out of the auger, take a broom handle and clear the chute, then proceed. I did this multiple times, every 30-60 seconds it seemed. Eventually the machine started to shut off and I had to restart it with the choke on. It was to the point where it ran better with the choke on than off, but wouldn't throw snow unless the choke was off (too much fuel of course).

So, after spending a good 2 hours barely clearing my driveway I broke out the shovel to finish the job. Now the Noma is sitting outside to think about things:

I'm on the verge of throwing in the white flag on the Noma and picking up something newer. My neighbor across the street has a small Honda, and that worked well for them. Should I give 'er one more try with a lighter snow or just sell the Noma now and get something else?

Example here on my local Craiglist, and Ariens 926le for $550:

Thanks!

-Rick

-Rick R

Last edited by PAFirefighter11; 01-24-2015 at 05:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 01-24-2015, 11:20 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 159
Thanks (Received): 296
Likes (Given): 390
Likes (Received): 973
If I were you I'd install an impeller kit and keep it and start advertising it next year, about November. Nobody is buying blowers now. As another forum member just posted in another thread, they're all thinking grills and jet skis. Snowblowers are the last thing people are buying.

Joe
Sent from my wife's old Toshiba
Ariens 921001
Toro 38074- sold
Toro CCR 3650E-sold
Toro 5/21 sold
Ariens 5/22 ss
Ariens Sno Tek 7/24 sold.
Old green plastic snow shovel... Sent.to shovel Heaven
Old quarry shovel for ice.
New.green shovel
post #3 of 16 Old 01-24-2015, 11:28 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 197
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 251
Yea, sounds like it needs an impeller kit. Could also be that the valves on the engine need adjusted. Might need the carb cleaned too. No snow blower works well in the conditions you mentioned.

Please direct all snow blower questions to the forums and not to me with PMs.
post #4 of 16 Old 01-24-2015, 11:44 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 522
Thanks (Received): 690
Likes (Given): 3909
Likes (Received): 1502
Garage
I'd suggest the impeller kit and that you check the engines RPM to see if it's up where it should be, usually around 3600-3900. Make sure your belt(s) are adjusted correctly as heavy wet snow is hard to toss even with everything perfect.
I'd wait for a lighter snow to see how it performs before you list it as it should be capable of clearing your driveway and with the impeller mod should do the wet stuff too.

If you don't have a big driveway and from the photos it doesn't look like one, that Noma should get the job done.

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 16 Old 01-24-2015, 11:49 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 29
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 66
I'd take belt cover off and make sure impeller belt is indeed getting tight enough and not slipping under load. As far as engine sounds like carb needs good cleaning (main jet)- Impeller kit is a plus.
post #6 of 16 Old 01-24-2015, 11:55 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 214
Thanks (Received): 293
Likes (Given): 1691
Likes (Received): 586
I had those conditions last year after a snow rain mix. I started out with the 521E but it got sooo icy traction became a problem. I got the 826 out cause it has chains ( I didn't have the 824 at the time ), it had traction but the snow changed to rain. after awhile the slush was too heavy to be blown. keep the noma and add an impeller kit. if you want another snowblower get it

current machines
1-toro2450E-38419. 1-toro3000E-38435. 1-toro 3650E-38445
2-toro 521E-38052. 1-toro xl824pt 38086
1-.............,TORO XL 624ps..............
1-............, TORO XL 824ps..............
william
post #7 of 16 Old 01-24-2015, 12:07 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 522
Thanks (Received): 690
Likes (Given): 3909
Likes (Received): 1502
Garage
Missed adding that getting a newer and or bigger more expensive unit doesn't guarantee it's going to do any better in the slush than the Noma.

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 16 Old 01-24-2015, 12:09 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks for all the responses! This is what I saw back in Fall when I popped the bottom cover off:

I'm heading to Home Depot to pick up some silicone spray and new skids (Figure that might help things slightly):

Seems they do not have impeller kits so I'll look into that as well on here. Any recommended sources or make it myself? I do need to open up the carb and see what's going on in there. I'm not a huge carb fan in terms of knowledge, though. All my vehicles are fuel injected and I've only owned one vehicle with a carb. My motorcycles that had carbs didn't last long before I sold them to upgrade to MPI or other FI'd bikes.

FWIW: My driveway is approx. 65 feet long by 7-9 feet wide at spots. I have my 4 vehicles parked there and my fiance's 1 vehicle. So I'd say only about the first 30 feet are what I want cleared.

Thanks again,

-Rick R
post #9 of 16 Old 01-24-2015, 12:19 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 214
Thanks (Received): 293
Likes (Given): 1691
Likes (Received): 586
hopefully you've replaced those skids, if the noma were mine I would get armor skids for it
you can buy a clarance impeller kit or make your own if you have the materials needed ( I bought mine )
there are a few visa posted on the forum and on you tube on how to clean a carb

current machines
1-toro2450E-38419. 1-toro3000E-38435. 1-toro 3650E-38445
2-toro 521E-38052. 1-toro xl824pt 38086
1-.............,TORO XL 624ps..............
1-............, TORO XL 824ps..............
william
post #10 of 16 Old 01-24-2015, 12:27 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by detdrbuzzard View Post
hopefully you've replaced those skids, if the noma were mine I would get armor skids for it
you can buy a clarance impeller kit or make your own if you have the materials needed ( I bought mine )
there are a few visa posted on the forum and on you tube on how to clean a carb
We have these:
Arnold Universal Slide Shoe Set-490-241-0010 - The Home Depot

And these:
Ariens Steel Skid Shoes for Ariens Snow Blowers (2-Pack)-72101100 - The Home Depot

In stock at my local Home Depot, so I am going to measure what distance I need then head out to pick them up.

Thanks on the carb & impeller info as well.

-Rick R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page