My first experience with my new 24" Ariens Deluxe Two-Stage - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 01-24-2015, 03:50 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
My first experience with my new 24" Ariens Deluxe Two-Stage

Thought I'd provide some first-timer feedback. I live on Long Island.

Got my new Ariens 24" Deluxe Two-Stage snow blower a week ago. No snow then so just played with it a bit to get used to it.

Last night we got our first accumulation...just a few inches, but it was wet and mixing with rain creating a slush. Confirmed oil, checked the fuel (mixed with Sta-bil) and took it out.

Never used any type of snow blower before or even a gas lawn mower so this was all new to me. Definetly takes a little getting used to but overall a decent experience.

Items I'd appreciate some feedback on:

* My lower back is aching. It was last week when playing with it too, but then I didn't realize it was the snow blower use. I see a chiropractor once a month for the last two decades, so it is a bit sensitive, but the snow blower definetly triggered spasms. The machine occassionally needs to be tilted up and back when it gets stuck or to get over an uneven surface. I keep the machine in the back of the house and there is a ramp going up four steps to get my 92-year old mom and her wheelchair up the stairs. So I have to go up that ramp with the blower and that requires tilting it up a bit. So, in retrospect after I realized this is what was causing my back-ache, I think I'm lifting with my back instead of just my arms. I'm going to have to try and get used to doing it with just my arms. I'm not entirely sure I'll have enough strength using just my arms, but if I put my back into as I did today and last week, the back ache is going to be as bad as if I was shoveling manually. Is this a common problem "first-timers" have?
Is this just "getting used to it"?

* It plowed through higher stuff well (like the bottom of the driveway where the street plows always accumlate the highest amount and block the mini-van in). But everything else was not "down to the surface". Cleared, but not like doing it manually and really scrapping the concrete. I'm guessing the machine probably needs an adjustment to get lower. Any suggestions on "what needs to be adjusted" and "how that is done"?

* I have a narrow driveway, barely wider than the mini-van. I've got one area where I'm coming out of the carport and have to get past the side of the mini-van on the driveway. The clearance amount of concrete on the driveway between the mini-van and the grass is only about 12" wide so I have to go up on the grass to get around the mini-van to the driveway behind the vehicle. The grass is also on a slight incline. The snowblower did not go through that area easily. I have to tilt it backwards, lifting the front up, to get past that area and back onto the driveway behind the mini-van. I thought about maybe placing the mini-van on the bottom of the driveway next storm and doing the top part of the driveway first. Then if pulling the mini-van up, I'd still have to go around the mini-van and onto the grass further down the driveway on the side to get the snow-blower behind the mini-van.

I don't care about cutting into the grass. I'm prepared to re-seed the area come Spring. But it really required physical force to get it past that area. And I felt like I was coming dangerously close to the van many times...almost sliding into it. In addition to grass there, there are rubber "pepples" and rubber steps matts. It's a bit of a walk area right to the side of where you get out of the mini-van onto the grass. Grass tends not to grow there, so we put these rubber elements there. So the grass and rubber is what the blower is having a problem getting past.

Other than that, it worked OK. Because of the weight of this thing, even though motor powered, it still felt like it required alot of physical exertion to work with it. The 24" Ariens Deluxe two-stage has power-steering and "Auto-Turn", so I expected it to be easier all the way around. Again, I have no basis of comparison, but I was still huffing more than I thought I probably should be. I'm not muscled, and don't weight lift, but I'm in reasonable shape overall.

As I said, any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

I own a 2015 Ariens ST24LE Deluxe 24" Snowblower (921024)

Last edited by brvid; 01-24-2015 at 04:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-24-2015, 04:04 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 213
Thanks (Received): 293
Likes (Given): 1642
Likes (Received): 579
if you have the stock skids most of them are not very good with uneven surfaces you may want to upgrade to armor skids, they are worth the extra $$$ to me. I blow snow at my sisters and the narrow section in your driveway around the minivan sounds like hers. to make it easy for me she put down some of those fancy paving stones to get me around her car

current machines
1-toro2450E-38419. 1-toro3000E-38435. 1-toro 3650E-38445
2-toro 521E-38052. 1-toro xl824pt 38086
1-.............,TORO XL 624ps..............
1-............, TORO XL 824ps..............
william
post #3 of 10 Old 01-24-2015, 04:17 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 85
Likes (Given): 27
Likes (Received): 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by brvid View Post
Other than that, it worked OK. Because of the weight of this thing, even though motor powered, it still felt like it required alot of physical exertion to work with it. The 24" Ariens Deluxe two-stage has power-steering and "Auto-Turn", so I expect it to be easier all the way around.
To resolve the Auto- turn for the better and going through rough asphalt there one thing many members here do and they say their problem is solved. You have to buy and install Armor skids, it seems Ariens have not so far addressed this slight but annoying problem.
That said, normally you should adjust the skids with a paint stick under your scraper and lower both skids to hard surface then tighten, this way you will leave approx. 1/8" of snow and have a nice ride over the bumps and or grass, plastic mat. Good Luck

Snow Removal Apparatus I own:
Ariens ST1530DLE, and good ole arm powered scrapper.
The 15 HP is a new Ducar engine sold
by Princess Auto in Canada.
post #4 of 10 Old 01-24-2015, 04:28 PM

Post Thanks / Like
With the ramp, you may want to try going up backwards if it's not snowcovered. Then there's no need to lean over. Just a thought "out loud."

-Rick R
post #5 of 10 Old 01-24-2015, 04:29 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thank you both for your responses. I will look into the Armor skids. Will this help with the physical exertion I indicated it seems to currently require or just get a cleaner clear to the concrete?

post #6 of 10 Old 01-24-2015, 04:33 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 213
Thanks (Received): 293
Likes (Given): 1642
Likes (Received): 579
with the skids ( even stock skids ) properly adjusted your machine will not leave you with bare pavement if it does you would tear up the auger and housing, its just how the machine is designed

current machines
1-toro2450E-38419. 1-toro3000E-38435. 1-toro 3650E-38445
2-toro 521E-38052. 1-toro xl824pt 38086
1-.............,TORO XL 624ps..............
1-............, TORO XL 824ps..............
william
post #7 of 10 Old 01-24-2015, 04:35 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Hmm. That's an interesting idea. I already come back down the ramp backwards when putting the machine away because when going forward I have to hold it back from rushing at me down the ramp. I don't really have the strength to do so. So I go backwards and use the motor to "regulate" it down. I can try that next time in the other direction. Problem is, it's ALWAYS going to be snow covered it if snows and I'm taking the blower out.

Last edited by brvid; 01-24-2015 at 04:38 PM.
post #8 of 10 Old 01-24-2015, 04:36 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Ah. So I shouldn't expect "down to the pavement entirely?"

post #9 of 10 Old 01-24-2015, 04:41 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 85
Likes (Given): 27
Likes (Received): 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by brvid View Post
Thank you both for your responses. I will look into the Armor skids. Will this help with the physical exertion I indicated it seems to currently require or just get a cleaner clear to the concrete?
By your original description you mentioned having to exert force over small obstacles and perhaps the snow blower was acting squirrelly, the Armour skids are made longer as it helps to float over different surfaces whether rough or not. As I mentioned you have to adjust the height of your skids for keeping snow left at a minimum over hard surface just make sure you understand my previous post. Are you very tall? As it might explain trying to wrestle with the unit.

Snow Removal Apparatus I own:
Ariens ST1530DLE, and good ole arm powered scrapper.
The 15 HP is a new Ducar engine sold
by Princess Auto in Canada.
post #10 of 10 Old 01-24-2015, 05:01 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I'm not tall: 5' 5".

Last edited by brvid; 01-24-2015 at 09:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page