Anyone capitalizing on the storm to thin the herd? - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 01-27-2015, 12:53 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 5
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 27
Anyone capitalizing on the storm to thin the herd?

If I were to come up with a saying for investing / flipping used blowers, perhaps it might be something along the lines of:

Buy into apathy (summer), and sell into fear (right now).

Suddenly lots more people are asking ungodly high prices for used blowers (IE: $400+ for something worth $200 now, or $125-$150 in the summer). Assuming ones priced a little high are moving, while blowers that are reasonably priced are likely going like hotcakes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-27-2015, 01:06 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 46
Thanks (Received): 67
Likes (Given): 57
Likes (Received): 106
I bet Jackmels will do well with the storms. Here in Minnesota is is 37 degrees and no snow. Last year I was getting tired of blowing my driveway and I had put on nearly 400 miles on my snowmobile by now. This year nothing.
post #3 of 10 Old 01-27-2015, 06:18 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 139
Thanks (Received): 269
Likes (Given): 371
Likes (Received): 912
I posted this ealier, in another thread but I sold everything early. Very happy I did. Am happy with the prices I got for them too. There's some guy in East York who has had a half dozen blowers for sale for a long time. No pictures, lots of messpelled words and extremely brief descriptions. He's had the same ads running for at least three months.

Joe

Sent from my junky old Hisense 7" tablet that I can barely see.
Toro 724
Toro CCR 3650E
Toro 5/21 sold
Ariens 5/22 ss ..Sold
Ariens Sno Tek 7/24 sold.
Old green plastic snow shovel... Sent.to shovel Heaven
Old quarry shovel for ice.
New.green shovel
post #4 of 10 Old 01-27-2015, 08:33 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 44
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by micah68kj View Post
I posted this ealier, in another thread but I sold everything early. Very happy I did. Am happy with the prices I got for them too. There's some guy in East York who has had a half dozen blowers for sale for a long time. No pictures, lots of messpelled words and extremely brief descriptions. He's had the same ads running for at least three months.
I had the same thing here in Michigan. Sold a bunch in late summer and fall. And now I haven't been able to sell anything. We've barely had any snow here.

Ariens ST11528LE
Honda HS720
post #5 of 10 Old 01-27-2015, 08:17 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 40
Likes (Given): 10
Likes (Received): 149
It sounds like it may be another year when the likes of Toro, Ariens and Simplicity will have to pack up the prototypes and travel to find snow. That happened a few years back. Usually it just storms at the factory and they go out to play.
post #6 of 10 Old 01-28-2015, 11:20 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 41
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor City View Post
I had the same thing here in Michigan. Sold a bunch in late summer and fall. And now I haven't been able to sell anything. We've barely had any snow here.
After a year like we had last year I made sure to get one, and get it long before the snow fell, and now that I have one I only used it twice
post #7 of 10 Old 01-28-2015, 12:02 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Our local Lowe's sure did capitalize! All winter long they've had a display two rows deep out in front. I just got back from there and they have... 3 blowers out there, and a few more inside. Gonna be a bunch of returns, I bet. We got a total of 3" + - m .5" .

Joe

Toro 724
Toro CCR 3650E
Toro 5/21 sold
Ariens 5/22 ss ..Sold
New.green shovel
post #8 of 10 Old 01-28-2015, 12:37 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 158
Likes (Given): 95
Likes (Received): 302
Joe, I used to work corporate loss prevention for a big box (shipping crates rarely came in with the correct count type stuff). They run to a certain time frame and then ship store lots to areas of likely sales. Some have agreements to return (like a lease program), others move them to storage and retail them again never cutting prices the "no snow" year end.
HD (not one I worked) would discount left over if overstocked by certain date. Feb. they'll all be renewing contracts to get lawn equipment. Retail is a Vegas game marred by idiots that want corporate cars and credit cards, and travel miles. Only thing worse is pharmaceutical co.'s, or insurance co.'s. If anyone has worked the interior of either and is offended, you likely have a corporate car and credit card
post #9 of 10 Old 01-28-2015, 02:01 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Wow! J.T.,I never had a high powered job with perks and etc such as co. car or card. I was never that motivated. I do know an individual who chose that path ( pharmecuticals) and he happens to be about the most miseable person I know. He is so bitter and really very unhappy. Makes me feel very fortunate that I chose the path I did. He has a fine big house, nice cars and.... Emptiness, it seems.
All that aside, I really do believe they were all sold during the hype from this last storm scare. I've seen it happen so many times.

Joe

Toro 724
Toro CCR 3650E
Toro 5/21 sold
Ariens 5/22 ss ..Sold
New.green shovel
post #10 of 10 Old 01-28-2015, 09:47 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 142
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtclays View Post
Joe, I used to work corporate loss prevention for a big box (shipping crates rarely came in with the correct count type stuff). They run to a certain time frame and then ship store lots to areas of likely sales. Some have agreements to return (like a lease program), others move them to storage and retail them again never cutting prices the "no snow" year end.
HD (not one I worked) would discount left over if overstocked by certain date. Feb. they'll all be renewing contracts to get lawn equipment. Retail is a Vegas game marred by idiots that want corporate cars and credit cards, and travel miles. Only thing worse is pharmaceutical co.'s, or insurance co.'s. If anyone has worked the interior of either and is offended, you likely have a corporate car and credit card

If you think that is obscene, I worked hospital security while going to college, and beyond. Between the pharmaceutical, equipment, supply, and insurance companies, and then all of the purchasing agents that are in-house, it was eye opening.

And then there were the psych patients and drunks in the ER...... Never a boring day.

Garage:
MTD....2 stage(modern 8.5 HP) not my favorite
Honda HS622 TA-B - acquired at an auction- nice machine for it's size.
Toro S-140- Picked it up on trash day... it runs, sort of.
Yamaha YS 240 TB "Ricky" latest Craigslist find- on the bench now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page