Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 3
Generac engines

Portable Generator FAQs

• Where is the engine made?–

The engines used on the Generac XP and XG Series of portables are manufactured at our Generac Power Systems,Inc. factory in Whitewater, WI. Generac engines are industrial grade engines designed to provide the ultra-quiet, longer-lasting performance required of portable generators. They also run 30-50 degrees cooler, are 5% more fuel-efficient and reduce oil consumption by 25%.

OK, this is directly from Generac's site under the PORTABLE Generator FAQ section...... does anyone actually believe this?
I'm not sure if they are playing fast and loose with the term "manufactured" or whether they seriously meant that the engines are designed, cast, assembled and produced in Wisconsin, USA at one of the Generac factories.

There is sure a lot of web confusion about Generac small aircooled engines....I personally have owned and run a 1995 GN220 engine with excellent results, but even back then this motor was desiged by Generac but produced in Japan. AKA known as the "Nagano" engine or Generac 7.8HP. This engine was also used on 90's Craftsman generators. Generac also produced Caterpillar portable generators until they had a falling out.

So then, moving on...Generac portable products division was sold to a private equity group who sold it to B&S in 1998...B&S folded the GPP into it's own portable products division.
In 2006 The rest of Generac was bought by CCMP of NY and upon the expiration of the former non-compete agreement in 2007, started again producing Portable power Generators and Pressure washers and other products.

In 2010 Generac goes public.

Here's a brief description of events from the PW FAQ

• Why Generac power washers? Isn’t Generac a generator company?–

You’re right—Generac’s primary focus has been designing and manufacturing generators for residential, commercial and industrial applications.
    Nonetheless, back in the early 1990s, we applied our knowledge of air-cooled engines and portable product design to power washers—it was a natural evolution. And for the first time power washers were readily available to consumers at a price they could afford. Along the way, we were granted several patents that have since changed the industry. We also managed to capture about half the US market for power washers.
    About ten years ago, we sold our portable products business—which included power washers—so we could focus our resources on developing Generac home standby generators. It was a strategic decision that yielded fantastic results; we’ve grown to be the world’s largest provider of home standby generators. It’s an achievement we earned in no small measure by addressing the needs of our customers. Now we’ve applied those same listening skills to an entirely redesigned family of power washers—products specifically designed to meet your needs.
  • So forward to now. They mount an engine on some of these generators and PW's that they call the Generac's OHVI® engine
It's made in 3 different flavors...And they have straight shafts unlike the generator taper engines

ENGINE
Manufacturer
Generac
Displacement (in³/cc)
12.9/212 -

18.4/302 -

25.6/420-

Hmm 212cc? 420CC? Are these not clone sizes? Does importing a bunch of clone parts and assembling them in Wisconsin constitute "Manufactured in the USA"? Or, are these motors truly designed by Generac and built in the USA, like they imply?

I use the old 1990's 220cc engine on one of my blowers, Lots of power, very quiet, low vibration, pressurized oil, low oil shutdown, screw on oil filtration. It is built like a mini Vanguard engine and is NOT a Honda clone. Clone parts will not bolt onto it.

Interesting thread from 2011...
Generac engines

If anyone else has any experience with these newer Generac engines please chime in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 01-31-2015, 09:25 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 92
Likes (Given): 446
Likes (Received): 148
they are the same as the predators, made by loncin
post #3 of 24 Old 01-31-2015, 09:39 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 27
Likes (Given): 48
Likes (Received): 74
I have a 212cc propane fueled Generac, and the engine is made in China. It runs awesome, and has 70 hours on it. No complaints!

The smaller engines are Chinese. The larger house generator engines are US made.

Cub Cadet 2X 524 SWE
Ariens 922008, 922018 - Project
Previous: Ariens 624E, Toro CCR2000
post #4 of 24 Old 01-31-2015, 09:56 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43128 View Post
they are the same as the predators, made by loncin

The engines used on the Generac XP and XG Series of portables are manufactured at our Generac Power Systems,Inc. factory in Whitewater, WI.

That quote is right from their website

HERE: Generac Power Solutions | Service and Support | FAQs | Generac Power Systems

XP4000 is 216CC
XP6500 is 407CC
XG10000E is 530CC

These are the engines they are claiming as American made.

They are also using Subarus on their high end Pressure washers

On their big stuff they use Izusu, John Deere, Fiat industrial, and maybe Kubota, amongst others.

Last edited by HillnGullyRider; 01-31-2015 at 10:14 PM.
post #5 of 24 Old 01-31-2015, 10:44 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 8
Likes (Given): 5
Likes (Received): 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by HillnGullyRider View Post
The engines used on the Generac XP and XG Series of portables are manufactured at our Generac Power Systems,Inc. factory in Whitewater, WI.

That quote is right from their website

HERE: Generac Power Solutions | Service and Support | FAQs | Generac Power Systems

XP4000 is 216CC
XP6500 is 407CC
XG10000E is 530CC

These are the engines they are claiming as American made.

They are also using Subarus on their high end Pressure washers

On their big stuff they use Izusu, John Deere, Fiat industrial, and maybe Kubota, amongst others.

This is correct. I work for Generac and can add more detail to any further questions if necessary.
if the engine says OHVI, then they are made in Whitewater, WI and are very very good engines with full pressure lube.
if the engine says only OHV then they are imported engines.

Current machines-
1978 Bolens 8/24 (Loncin 420cc engine upgrade)
1986 toro powershift 6/24 ( 212cc Predator upgrade)
1988 Simplicity 860 (Predator 301cc upgrade)
1995 Honda HS 621
post #6 of 24 Old 01-31-2015, 11:01 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 27
Likes (Given): 48
Likes (Received): 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttchet View Post
This is correct. I work for Generac and can add more detail to any further questions if necessary.
if the engine says OHVI, then they are made in Whitewater, WI and are very very good engines with full pressure lube.
Is the entire genset imported, or just the engine? I have the LP3250.

Cub Cadet 2X 524 SWE
Ariens 922008, 922018 - Project
Previous: Ariens 624E, Toro CCR2000
post #7 of 24 Old 01-31-2015, 11:10 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
OK, Thanks for clearing that bit up...

Now, I do have more questions

------------------------
XP, XG

A) Where is the casting foundry located?

B) Are these XP, XG engines available with straight PTO crankshafts and sold on Pressure washers?

C) Are they available as replacement motors with quiet generator mufflers?

D) Who makes the carburetor?

----------------------------------------
GN220

E) Was the old GN220 made in Nagano Japan (if so, by what company?)

------------------

I've gotten great use and I'm happy with the GN220 but it's almost 20 years old and there is no electric start provision or charge coil on the flywheel.
post #8 of 24 Old 01-31-2015, 11:12 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by caddydaddy View Post
I think the LP3250 also has the Nagano GN220 engine...They just use a propane carb.

On edit: Doh, forgot you said you had the 212cc...that one is a Chinese clone, The 220 was mid 90's era.

220cc=Japan
212cc=China
216cc=USA (as per Buttchet's post)

Last edited by HillnGullyRider; 01-31-2015 at 11:41 PM.
post #9 of 24 Old 01-31-2015, 11:31 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 480
Thanks (Received): 348
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1144
Quote:
I got that 33HP engine on the 17,000 watt. where is that made.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #10 of 24 Old 01-31-2015, 11:32 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 8
Likes (Given): 5
Likes (Received): 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by caddydaddy View Post
the LP series of portables are designed and engineered in the U.S. but made over seas.

Current machines-
1978 Bolens 8/24 (Loncin 420cc engine upgrade)
1986 toro powershift 6/24 ( 212cc Predator upgrade)
1988 Simplicity 860 (Predator 301cc upgrade)
1995 Honda HS 621
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page