LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 02-01-2015, 05:11 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
metal screw "studs" in X-Trac ?

I found a discussion on ice fishing and a couple guys put 3/8 hex head sheet metal screws in their boots. So... I did the same and it works well. I do have a couple ice patches and I prefer to remain vertical.

Has anyone every put screws in X-trac tires? As long as the screw is shorter than the height of the tread I should be OK.. correct?

The tires work well but if I can have a little more grip that wouldn't hurt.

thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-01-2015, 05:20 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 196
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 250
People have done it with solid rubber tires. Not sure how well it would work with pneumatic tires. You have to be careful not to punch a hole in it.

Please direct all snow blower questions to the forums and not to me with PMs.
post #3 of 9 Old 02-01-2015, 05:29 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
>You have to be careful not to punch a hole in it.

Yup, it would be my luck to fix one problem and break another. I'm a bit hesitant but there does look like I could get away with a 3/8 screw... maybe

post #4 of 9 Old 02-01-2015, 05:47 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 29
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 66
screws..

In my opinion (for whatever it's worth).. I wouldn't. Too much risk for putting hole in a expensive snow tire. Even if didn't puncture after putting in.. it might after excessive pressure on it.. like bumping curb or maybe going off a sidewalk drop/edge of some sort. If you go 'too short' the screw might work back and forth and come out from ice chunks lodging between them and the tread..once it is out and buried in the snow you can put it through a window Just my opinion here- but if x-track isn't enough.. I'd look at sanding or something? I hear you on the vertical thing- last year I flat landed on my back and hurt all winter.

Last edited by Geno; 02-01-2015 at 06:16 PM.
post #5 of 9 Old 02-01-2015, 05:55 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks, the consensus is leaning against... I think that's wise. The boots should keep me out of trouble.
post #6 of 9 Old 02-02-2015, 02:36 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 10
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 6
one other thing you guys didnt mention is what if they fall out and you run over them with your cars?? now thats an expensive tire fix !! i wouldnt do it. go for better tires. logic prevails

2014 ariens deluxe 28+
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 9 Old 02-02-2015, 04:35 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Received): 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by fixer5000 View Post
one other thing you guys didnt mention is what if they fall out and you run over them with your cars?? now thats an expensive tire fix !! i wouldnt do it. go for better tires. logic prevails

Not enough solid meat to keep a screw in those tires . You can put them on tractor tires quiet well though. Problem comes with black top and being stuck with Mr Tractor. Get that wheel spinning in one spot and it won't be a big deal till you look at it in Spring. Been there done that with a snowmobile just once and those damned studs. I could maybe see studs scratching someone's precious driveway if you get hung up with studs but there's not enough weight there to do all that much clawing. The best solution for regular snow blower tires is still chains I would think.
I did my drive for 18 years with an old ferguson TO 20 tractor and back blade. Pretty worn and hard ag tires from day 1. It wouldn't do much of anything on any slippery surface until I brought out the chains. Then it was fine even though the chains were ancient worn out and cobbed together with countless add ons and repair links.

2002 Ariens 932-101
post #8 of 9 Old 02-02-2015, 10:27 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 7
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Received): 4
that's how we make ice racing tires

it's super fun, but I don't think I'd need it for my snowblower. If I did, I'd get a second set of rims and use some old crappy tires and use an innertube. Just be sure to put a liner against the heads of the nuts so it doesn't puncture the innertubes (kinda like how you use rim tape on a bike tire).

1995 Ariens ST724E (932027)
post #9 of 9 Old 02-02-2015, 11:13 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 5
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 2
I'd suggest going to a snowmobile shop and ask for their hardened hex head screws that they put in the track. I had some in mine for a while and they are a good compromise between full studs and nothing. They go in pretty shallow, so they might keep you from puncturing the snowblower tire.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page