Have Ariens Single Stage Thinking of Adding 2-Stage - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 02-02-2015, 06:42 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 2
Have Ariens Single Stage Thinking of Adding 2-Stage

I've been getting away with an Ariens single for ~13 years in Rochester, NY. Main reason was my wife is intimidated by 2-stage and would rarely use it when I'm out of town which is frequent.

The little Ariens is a champ but not for > 8" or heavy snow - chute clogs easily.

My son-in-law works at Sears so I'm torn between Sears and my loyalty to Ariens. I don't want a huge 2-stage. Simple driveway that's pretty level. Something like the Ariens Compact?

What do you guys recommend?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 02-02-2015, 07:03 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 213
Thanks (Received): 293
Likes (Given): 1642
Likes (Received): 579
hello shacky, welcome to SBF!! follow your heart

current machines
1-toro2450E-38419. 1-toro3000E-38435. 1-toro 3650E-38445
2-toro 521E-38052. 1-toro xl824pt 38086
1-.............,TORO XL 624ps..............
1-............, TORO XL 824ps..............
william
post #3 of 19 Old 02-02-2015, 10:42 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 196
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 250
The new Sears machines are MTD. I would say wait until spring / summer and start searching craigslist for an older model Ariens or Toro. There are plenty of fans of both brands from the 60's to the 80's here and when it is warm out you should be able to find one for under $100. That assumes you don't mind getting a little dirty and changing some bearings and such.

As for your single stage, it could be giving you issues if the rubber paddles are worn out and in need of being replaced.

Please direct all snow blower questions to the forums and not to me with PMs.
post #4 of 19 Old 02-02-2015, 12:56 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Just heard back from dealer. My carb bowl had water in it and rusted through. As well as need belt/bearings. Going to fix it for now then look for 2-stage as you suggest.

I'm not a fan of MTD : (

Last edited by shacky; 02-02-2015 at 01:04 PM.
post #5 of 19 Old 02-02-2015, 01:20 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 336
Likes (Given): 148
Likes (Received): 764
Hey Shacky,
welcome to the forum!
Im also in Rochester, and im using a 1971 Ariens as my main machine,
bought it 6 years ago for $250, and it's served me very well..

its only issue has been some carb adjustments, but I didnt know how to properly adjust it myself..I had a friend adjust it, and now it runs like a champ..I suspect it has several more decades in it..

If you want to buy new, I would suggest one of the smaller Ariens 2-stage machines.
At this point in the season, I would just wait..supply is low and limited in the stores right now..might as well do your research, decide exactly what you want, then buy when the machines hit the stores again next Autumn..

and go to a dealer! not a Big Box..
any specific questions you have, ask away..

Scot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 19 Old 02-02-2015, 01:36 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 94
Thanks (Received): 84
Likes (Given): 219
Likes (Received): 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by shacky View Post
Have Ariens Single Stage, Thinking of Adding 2-Stage
I've spent some time in Rochester and it seems like a bigger two stage machine would be mandatory

I struggled along with a single stage machine for a long time, years, in fact. It really wasn't the best decision but it was my first snow thrower experience.

I hear ya about the issue with the wife running it...I've heard the same. My wife does seem to almost "enjoy" running our SS Ariens She certainly isn't afraid of it but I don't think she'd get it started on her own. She'd never run our bigger Ariens. Too intimidating, I guess

Keep an eye on CL, etc. for a used machine, as suggested. I see tons of stuff for sale in my area.

Welcome aboard, Shacky!

2014 Ariens 21" Path Pro 938030
2015 Ariens 24" SHO 921038 | poly skids
post #7 of 19 Old 02-02-2015, 01:57 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 336
Likes (Given): 148
Likes (Received): 764
Quote:
Originally Posted by uberT View Post
I've spent some time in Rochester and it seems like a bigger two stage machine would be mandatory
I wouldnt say a bigger two stage is mandatory, but I would say a "medium sized" or "normal sized" two stage is mandatory!

Hearing about a single-stage in Western NY is unusual..they do sell them in the stores around here, but they only sell them because people will buy them, not because its a good idea! (same with lots of other products, anywhere..)

Syracuse, Rochester and Buffalo get a LOT of snow, thanks to lake effect snow off of lakes Erie and Ontario, but most of our high annual snowfall numbers build up 4 inches at a time..In an average winter week, we can get 2" one day, 4" two days later, 3" three days later, etc., all winter long..

Today we are getting a solid 12", which will probably end up being the largest snowfall, in one "event", of the winter. We can get the occasional 2 footer or 3 footer, but those are the exception..I would say 80% of our annual snow comes in batches of 6" or less..there is just a LOT of those 6" or less snowfalls! adding up to 96 inches, about 8 feet, a year on average..

I would not recommend the smallest of the 2-stage machines..which in the Ariens lineup is represented by the 2 stage 939000 series:

other brands have similar "tiny" 2-stage models..those are too small and under-powered for Western NY..

I would go for the "compact" 920000 series, at least a Compact 24 minimum:

or if you can afford it, the "full size" 921000 series:

Dont need the "top of the line" Pro series..
A nice "Compact 24", "Deluxe 24" or "Platinum 24" would do the job nicely, and should be easy to handle for anyone..not too big, not too small..just right!

Shacky, how big is your driveway and any others areas you need to clear?

Scot

Last edited by sscotsman; 02-02-2015 at 02:00 PM.
post #8 of 19 Old 02-02-2015, 03:04 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 94
Thanks (Received): 84
Likes (Given): 219
Likes (Received): 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by sscotsman View Post
I wouldnt say a bigger two stage is mandatory, but I would say a "medium sized" or "normal sized" two stage is mandatory!
I can live with that and it was in-line with what I was thinking

2014 Ariens 21" Path Pro 938030
2015 Ariens 24" SHO 921038 | poly skids
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes sscotsman liked this post
post #9 of 19 Old 02-02-2015, 05:21 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Standard length two car garage straight driveway. Pretty level. Have sidewalk to front door with step down area. I can drop and lift the SS to get that but not a 2-stage.

I just busted my a$$ clearing driveway with the SS 522. I have to keep the belt tensioner real tight then work, work, work at the side of drivway after clearing from center.

I need a 2-stage!
post #10 of 19 Old 02-02-2015, 05:52 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 3
I let my my mom use the 939001, she's 75 , has no cartilage in her knee and walks with a cane. She had a blast using it, did the whole double driveway, took her an hour or so but she had no problem. It moves very slow (single speed, no reverse) and as long as she has something to support her she gets around on two legs. She had no problem pulling it backwards. She likes getting out of the apartment so she's always up for doing yard chores when she visits.

I highly recommend the small compacts or sno-tek 24 for someone intimidated by the big machines, and their driveway is suburban sized. They are super light, easy to control, and will cut a path in 12" drifts like butter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page