Thanks (Received): 5
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 27
Rock, Paper, Scissors

Snow blower beats snow
Slop beats snow blower
Horsepower beats slop

(not quite that simple, but still..)
I am sure a strong 2-stage (espec with an impeller kit) would handle slop far better, but my point is that horsepower makes a big difference, espec with single stage blowers.

3" of snow here, followed by rain. We now have 3" of applesauce. That would have been too heavy for the little 3hp Powerlite, but it was cake for the 6.5 hp 3650. I have fresh paddles and scraper bar, and I was pretty pleased.

Temps today will be in the mid 30's, followed by a deep freeze tonight. Will make sure things are clean tonight, and lay down some calcium chloride before whatever remains turns to solid ice.

Toro 3650 (primary)
Toro 2450 (recent purchase)
Toro PowerLite (3hp)
Craftsman 3/20 (also recent, will likely flip)
Toro 1800 electric (gone)
Shovels (and aspirin)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 02-02-2015, 09:43 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 177
Thanks (Received): 156
Likes (Given): 1636
Likes (Received): 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by time2time View Post
Snow blower beats snow
Slop beats snow blower
Horsepower beats slop

(not quite that simple, but still..)
I am sure a strong 2-stage (espec with an impeller kit) would handle slop far better, but my point is that horsepower makes a big difference, espec with single stage blowers.

3" of snow here, followed by rain. We now have 3" of applesauce. That would have been too heavy for the little 3hp Powerlite, but it was cake for the 6.5 hp 3650. I have fresh paddles and scraper bar, and I was pretty pleased.

Temps today will be in the mid 30's, followed by a deep freeze tonight. Will make sure things are clean tonight, and lay down some calcium chloride before whatever remains turns to solid ice.
So glad that you're happy with the new-to-you machine T2T!!!! Stay safe out there man! We're getting snow, snow and more snow here in the Hudson Valley.

On my old chain-driven single-stage (in my sig), I had the opportunity to leverage torque and speed...by accident. Before I dorked the old auger, It threw OK.

A replacement auger that had a larger sprocket (because that's what ebay had that day) means a larger moment arm translating to more leverage for the power-plant ('71/'72 3.5hp tec) ...however it spun too slow as-is.

Sacrifice some of that torque for velocity by increasing the size of the drive sprocket and Bob's your uncle!!!

New head gasket & valve job probably didn't hurt either.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
('72 Sears 3520)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
('89 Toro 824)

('70 Allis-Chalmers Tracker-7)

('80 Toro 724)

('95 Ariens ST724) --> Sold

('71 Ariens 910965 SnoThro 524)
post #3 of 3 Old 02-02-2015, 09:58 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 5
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 27
On one of my little motorcycles (ninja 250 set up as a commuter), i changed the rear sprocket to slow down the 'frenetic' motor. Difference in personality was significant. I like taking things and tinkering with them to make them my own.

Got people in no westchester (13") and up in poughkeepsie (no word how much), but once you get inland, the amount of snow changes.. Pleased with the 3650, bit still itchy to see if i can turn up a 521 cheap this summer, just for fun

Toro 3650 (primary)
Toro 2450 (recent purchase)
Toro PowerLite (3hp)
Craftsman 3/20 (also recent, will likely flip)
Toro 1800 electric (gone)
Shovels (and aspirin)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page