Snowblower Forum banner

Need Help to Acertain What Model Tecumseh Engine

4K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  Ray 1962 10ML60 
#1 ·
Hey Folks,

I picked up this bad boy for $30 this morning off CL. It has good compression and with starter fluid she fires up. The carb is incomplete and it needs a heater box as well. Supposedly this is a 8 HP engine that came from a 1980's Simplicity Orange Monster. I haven't cleaned it up or really looked at the governor linkage as of yet. But all moves freely and there isn't a tag on it any where except on the recoil cover that states it is a Tecumseh. No HP badge or other markings. Would one of you more learned folks take a stab at what it may be? I'd love to give her some new respiration and keep it on reserve. I'm old skool Ariens guy, and have no idea what all those wires are?

Got a complete working starter for $30.

Kindest,

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Take the electric start button assembly off the top of the shroud, your engine numbers should be under there stamped into the sheet metal.
The wires seem to be the kill wires coming out from under the shroud connecting to the throttle so when you throttle it all the way down it kills the engine.

#4 ·
Ray,

As always, you are correct. I can read enough of the number with my old eyes to get that it is an HM80------ the rest will take some doing. For the most part all the HM80 parts "SHOULD" be similar. I'm not planning on rebuilding it from the ground up, but I'd like to get it running and maybe flip it for a couple bucks. I'm not used to that shaft and pulley configuration though.

Thanks Man!

Attachments

#8 ·
Geno,

You are the master of modifications! I am enamored with the machine you built. Very Sexy!!!

What do you think about me removing that double pulley and repowering my Ariens 10m5 with this engine (single pulley/short shaft)? Should I flip it and go another route? The 10M5 runs as the factory made it to function and I'm usually all for that. But if I can make the Binford 1000 I'm all in.

#9 · (Edited)
Geno,

You are the master of modifications! I am enamored with the machine you built. Very Sexy!!!

What do you think about me removing that double pulley and repowering my Ariens 10m5 with this engine (single pulley/short shaft)? Should I flip it and go another route? The 10M5 runs as the factory made it to function and I'm usually all for that. But if I can make the Binford 1000 I'm all in.
I'd say give it whirl, the frame of the 10M5 can definitely handle the 8 HP. You can keep the 5 as a backup then.

#10 ·
Ray,

I'll think about it... The original engineers spec'd it out and it does what it should. No 50' foot rooster tails and starts up when I need her to. I might just leave well enough alone. Now if I come across a machine with a blown engine on the cheap...

#11 ·
Very true, and prob the better option in the long run. Save it for an engine-less chassis and build from there. I hear you one the 50 ft rooster tail being unnecessary, that's why I won't do an impeller kit on my Ariens, it throws far enough for me. (I did, however, put one on the Toro and what a difference!)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.