LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 02-03-2015, 05:01 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 10
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Given): 4
Likes (Received): 3
MTD 45 inch snowblower question

Hi guys..I am looking at picking up a one year old mtd 45 inch 420cc blower tommorrow. I have a retarded large driveway and parking lot to clear and was wondering if these blowers are built to last or if i should keep looking. The guy said he paid close to 2500 for it and i am going to pay him 1200 for it. Is finding tire chains a problem for these units? All i have for a snowblower now is a 25 year old craftsman 32 inch cut with a 14 inch impeller..dont get me wrong that thing is a beast too but i like to have two blowers on hand and i gernaded my other main one earlier this year.. Any tips comments or concerns i would apprciate..i dont wanna buy this thing and regret it..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	21.4 KB
ID:	39073   Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed.1.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	39081   Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed.2.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	39089  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 02-03-2015, 05:42 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 24
Thanks (Received): 34
Likes (Given): 15
Likes (Received): 23
Too big for its own good imo, and why is selling, willing to take such huge hit on price? Seems like a lot of bling with the double tires. Would think chains are going to be difficult to mount too in that configuration. For $1200 I think you can do a lot better, maybe not 45" wide, but a lot better with a 30"or 32" machine.

Ray
1962 Ariens 10ML60
1979 Toro 524
1975 MTD Snowflite 4/22
post #3 of 14 Old 02-03-2015, 05:54 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 196
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 250
For 1200 I would think you could get an old tractor and blower.

Please direct all snow blower questions to the forums and not to me with PMs.
post #4 of 14 Old 02-03-2015, 06:01 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 142
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 291
How exactly big of an area are we talking, in terms of cars, are we talking about?

You may be in the realm of a ride-on piece of equipment to reasonably get the job done.

That said, now on to answer some of your other questions on the machine:

1. The price does seem like a drastic reduction, so I would definitely would wary.
2. I think that the lasting question, would for you to actually see and feel the difference between this and other machines. Some would offer Toro, Ariens, Honda, and possibly Yamaha, depending on where you are located. I would pay particular attention to the thickness of the bucket material, and quality of the hardware bits and pieces.
3. Tire chains would probably not necessary with this machine. Between the weight and the x-trac tires, you should be fine.

Lastly, for half that money, you could find a great used machine that will far outlast and outperform it in every way shy of width.

Garage:
MTD....2 stage(modern 8.5 HP) not my favorite
Honda HS622 TA-B - acquired at an auction- nice machine for it's size.
Toro S-140- Picked it up on trash day... it runs, sort of.
Yamaha YS 240 TB "Ricky" latest Craigslist find- on the bench now.
post #5 of 14 Old 02-03-2015, 06:09 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 510
Thanks (Received): 681
Likes (Given): 3844
Likes (Received): 1477
Garage
I'd put some of that money into the Craftsman as it will eat snow like crazy when in proper form. I have a 32" with a 14" impeller so I know.

The 45" would get it done but it's a much newer and cheaper made MTD. I would be worried if parts are available or how long they will be available as you don't see many of those machines. Not sure how much of the stuff might be shared with the smaller machines.

IMHO I'd keep the sears for the main machine and pick something up for a backup or use the money to get a riding tractor with a blower.
If you really have a big area the rider makes more sense than the 45".

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 14 Old 02-03-2015, 06:30 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks guys. thanks to you i passed on the machine..but for good reason. The componets inside are the same as the smaller 28 inch machines...i can only imagin how long the drive wheel and belt would last on a machine that size if they are the same as the smaller machines..I love my old craftsman and it gets the job done but if something happens to it and i have no back up i in a world of hurt..my driveway is about 3/4 km long with a parking lot by the shop. I use to have a 50hp tractor with a 6 foot blower and that is the best way to get her done but hard times finiacially took care of that option. now i have lots of time to do it with a snowblower tho..usually take 4-6 hours depending on snow amount and type.
post #7 of 14 Old 02-03-2015, 06:45 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 88
Thanks (Received): 69
Likes (Given): 306
Likes (Received): 135
Just asking, I have never seen a blower with dual wheels I am guessing that it is not a very common unit. Does any one else make one like it??

2014,TORO 1128 OXE Power Max HD
post #8 of 14 Old 02-03-2015, 08:08 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 29
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 66
x1- 1200 will buy decent used tractor w/36" blower. Sounds like you do need good size blower as your 32 - but 4-5 hours is too much in my opinion to maintain any level of fun. Even if you were to get a older 14-16hp cub cadet or bolens that needs small amount of work? I'd stay far away from the 45" for reasons you mentioned as well as others. Just impressive to look at. For that amount of snow coming in you need everything else beefy too- Don't think that is the case. Seen one couple years ago at our Farm and Fleet store, Not strong enough for what it is intended to be. I can see flexing and welds breaking in time. I base this only on the one time looking though- I thought a member or non-member posted here once who had one? might be in archives.
post #9 of 14 Old 02-03-2015, 08:20 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 9
Likes (Given): 7
Likes (Received): 4
I know you passed on this 4 wheel machine. Just wondering if it had some type of auto turn.
post #10 of 14 Old 02-03-2015, 08:27 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
it did have a trigger on each side which would disengae the wheel on each side to turn depending on direction..the kicker however is that they freeze up in the snow/ice and leave you with no drive...it really is a bad unit..i am starting to relalize that i hate everything built in recent years..its all so cheep..gotta go to 70s and 80s to get anything decent..

and yeah..snowblowing has a zero fun factor for me...just gotta get it done..i spend 6 months moving snow here..lol...i want my heated cab tractor back..LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page