old ariens snow throw information needed - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 02-09-2015, 04:01 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
old ariens snow throw information needed

well im new to the site ,,,,, well i bought a old ariens snow thro id like some info on what motor is on it ,,,,, the connecting rod snapped into pieces and id hopefully like to find a replacement for it ,,,,,, here is the model number 10970 and serial number is 009978 ,,,,, i found a thread on this site with same model number and was dated 1969 and looks like the one i just bought ,,,,,, id post a pic but not familiar how to on this site ,,,,, any insight ? thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 02-09-2015, 04:13 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 196
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 250
You can go to Harbor Freight and get a $100 212cc Predator engine brand new or you can look around for other options. Other choices would be more expensive unless you go used, but some people prefer to keep them more original. You could probably find something used for around $40 - $60 if you look around on craigslist.

If you got lucky and the rod didn't crack the block you could just clean the crank up and put a new rod in her and put it back together.

Please direct all snow blower questions to the forums and not to me with PMs.
post #3 of 18 Old 02-09-2015, 04:49 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 7
Hi Malibu,

there is a fine Info-site which helped me in the past two years to get informations on my Ariens ST 832

The Ariens 1960's and 1970's Sno-Thro info site.

maybe that will give you infos to type, equipment an date of manufacture for your sno-thro.
Good luck while repairing.

Greetings from far away Germany

Markus

Ariens ST 832, Modell No.: 924054, Serial No.: 001631, Tecumseh HM80-155207C
MTD E640F S/N: 31AE640F678, Tecumseh HMSK80-155692V
Mercedes-Benz L 406 D (1973) with Diesel-Engine OM 615 (2,2 Ltrs)
Mercedes-Benz MB 310 (1989), ex. Firebrigade Van, Gasoline-Engine M 102 (2,3 Ltrs)
Renault R5 (1990) Gasoline-Engine C3J (1,4 Ltrs)
post #4 of 18 Old 02-09-2015, 04:53 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Received): 2
I'm rebuilding a Tecumseh H60 6-HP now that threw the rod. It actually did crack the block behind the starter. Brazed it up with some Aluminum brazing rods and a LP torch, seems like it will be good.

It's sitting on my bench waiting to be finished. Came out of a '60's Craftsman blower given to me from a neighbor. I also bought new rings some gaskets and seals will be into the whole blower for about $50.00

I did it to keep it original and I like old stuff.
post #5 of 18 Old 02-09-2015, 05:31 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 3
It's $100 for a predator (pull-start), $150 for a Chinese universal snow engine(e-start) and about $170 for an LCT snow engine (208cc), prices go up from there to about $320 for a 420CC.

Some Briggs engines might still be found new but expect to pay a premium...If you want Tecumseh H engine, you'll have to go used.
post #6 of 18 Old 02-09-2015, 06:36 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 29
Likes (Received): 66
welcome to the site Malibu. The used tec's are out there (just sold a 78 complete blower for $100- not the norm) but you got to watch cl several times/day and move fast if it is good deal. Some other things like tillers, ect might have a motor for you too..out of season so might get lucky. I've seen some tillers where a tec motor was put on , so all you'd need to do is switch the carb cover stuff over- most though have B&S on older ones. Just saying used is option- but not as easy anymore.. takes more looking to find a running one than few years back. The HF motors better option by what I hear they are good. Just not original.

Last edited by Geno; 02-09-2015 at 06:38 PM.
post #7 of 18 Old 02-09-2015, 07:45 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
thanks for the info ,,,,, i was thinking about the preditor 212cc ,,,,, i found connecting rod on amazon for tucumesh motors but theres several with different part numbers ,,,, just dont know if original motor is ,,,, a buddies father has a ariens he bought new in 1972 he said he has a tucumsen 5hp ,,,,so was thinking thats what i might have thanks again i will dig around the site see what i can find
post #8 of 18 Old 02-09-2015, 07:48 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 196
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 250
To get your correct connecting rod we would need the numbers stamped on the top of your engine. Probably something like H50-xxxxx SER 1234X. To be successful you will have to know that the rod breaking didn't break anything else in the engine.

Please direct all snow blower questions to the forums and not to me with PMs.
post #9 of 18 Old 02-09-2015, 08:16 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
well using the link markus posted i found owners manual and parts manual ,,,,, via model number and serial number ,,,,found out my model is 1969 ,,,,checked motor found a serial and model numbers on motor its a tecumseh h60 ,,,,,, found a connecting rod on amazon for 27 bucks ordered one going to toss it in and see what happens shot gun build ,,,,, im new to small engine repair do these engines have rod bearing ? like a car ,,,,i didnt see any indication of one on teardown ,,,thanks

Last edited by malibu79; 02-09-2015 at 09:06 PM.
post #10 of 18 Old 02-09-2015, 11:01 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 3
The rod is the bearing...You're going to have to inspect that motor really well, If the cylinder is damaged you'll need a piston and a bore. Lots of times the rings wear, and then lots of unburnt fuel gets into the oil, weak or low oil causes catastrophic failure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page