LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 02-11-2015, 09:30 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 10
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 35
My snow blowing winter so far

After the first storm my ariens performed perfect. I had about a 30" drift as a driveway. I bolted on the drift cutter and got to work, blowing snow upwind to my front yard. By the time I got to the other side of my 2 car driveway, it was deeper and far more packed but my machine chewed it like hotdogs at the Nathan's contest. Then I had to do my father's 50' driveway and even brought it to my girlfriend's apartment complex and helped people dig their cars out.

After the next storm, again it performed flawlessly until I left it sitting in the truck overnight under 10 degrees. It took 10 minutes of pulling to get it to start (usually first pull) because it was so cold and hard to pull. Then it wouldn't move. I tipped it up in the snow and pulled the bottom plate and the drive wheel wasn't moving to touch the friction disk!! I beat and pryed on it with a snow brush until it moved, then I worked it for a few minutes and I was in business!! I left the heat on in the garage for a few hours to thaw it after that.

This last storm I was again doing well. I had changed the oil with synthetic because it's on sale at Napa and it was absolutely ripping snow. Things were great until it ate a branch which stopped the impeller for half a second before it shredded it and threw it. From then I couldn't stop the impeller. I took the belt cover off and found the belt had flipped. I straightened it hoping it would hold until I was done but no luck!! I spent a few hours tracking a belt down and got back to work, then up to dads to clear his place without another hitch.

All in all pretty good so far. Been keeping an eye on engine oil, keeping it 1/4" overfull, and the auger lube because the seals leak a bit.

'77 Ariens 924032 "Brick House" Re-Powered with a TEC 10HP and oversize auger pulley
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 02-11-2015, 09:41 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 9
Likes (Given): 7
Likes (Received): 4
Sounds like you have a beast there.....good luck for you in the Boston area.
post #3 of 10 Old 02-12-2015, 04:57 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 213
Thanks (Received): 293
Likes (Given): 1642
Likes (Received): 579
i'll bet you made lots of people happy at your GF's apartment complex

current machines
1-toro2450E-38419. 1-toro3000E-38435. 1-toro 3650E-38445
2-toro 521E-38052. 1-toro xl824pt 38086
1-.............,TORO XL 624ps..............
1-............, TORO XL 824ps..............
william
post #4 of 10 Old 02-12-2015, 08:19 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
The people at the complex loved it. The "plow guy" runs through a few times and pushes a path that piles up behind cars. A guy who is supposed to come run a tractor and move it all always shows up at least half a day later than I think he should. Ariens to the rescue!!

'77 Ariens 924032 "Brick House" Re-Powered with a TEC 10HP and oversize auger pulley
post #5 of 10 Old 02-12-2015, 08:31 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 24
Thanks (Received): 34
Likes (Given): 15
Likes (Received): 23
Good to see you're out there blowing snow with avengance. Would love to see pic of the beast in action.

Ray
1962 Ariens 10ML60
1979 Toro 524
1975 MTD Snowflite 4/22
post #6 of 10 Old 02-12-2015, 08:39 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Received): 9
Nice story. Ha! And for your exact experience, that's the reason I keep two spare belts and a friction disc for my two stage and paddles, belt, and scraper bar for my single stage. The only times they'll break is when you need them. Sorry but im a what if guy
post #7 of 10 Old 03-08-2015, 01:54 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Now I understand the price of my generosity in such a harsh winter. I've had 2 driveways to clear, helped people at my GF's apartment, and I also took a couple jobs widening some driveways, shoveled some roofs, chopped channels in an ice dam, and even fixed a few plow trucks. Now I have Carpal Tunnel Syndrome symptoms in my left hand. I think it will subside now that winter is finally winding down. Be careful out there.

post #8 of 10 Old 03-08-2015, 03:11 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 510
Thanks (Received): 681
Likes (Given): 3844
Likes (Received): 1478
Garage
Where are the photos ??

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 10 Old 03-08-2015, 03:24 PM
wdb

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 22
Thanks (Received): 23
Likes (Given): 43
Likes (Received): 69
Great job, doing well by others. Congratulations and well done!

This is the second thread I've seen where someone mentions an impeller jam causing belt issues. Is it that the shear bolt does not break quickly enough? Or maybe there is no shear bolt on the impeller on some machines?
post #10 of 10 Old 03-08-2015, 06:27 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 118
Thanks (Received): 277
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 633
On the machines I've had, there is no shear bolt on the impeller itself, no. Frequently the impeller itself (the "fan") rusts solidly to the impeller shaft anyhow. So even if there was a shear bolt there, in these cases, it would not be able to break anyhow.

Removing the rusted fan from the shaft often requires heat and a hydraulic press, from what I've read. Not just a hammer, etc.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page