so for those of you getting tons of snow on the east coast ... - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 Old 02-13-2015, 03:00 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 3
so for those of you getting tons of snow on the east coast ...

So for those of you getting tons of snow on the east coast, what's your general impression?

Some of you are obviously snowblower junkies -- tinker with them, buy/sell them, tear them apart, modify them, watch vides of them online, etc.

So with as much snow as you're getting, are you sick of it? Or you can't get enough?

When you think about next season, do you hope there's no snow at all?

Around here, it's been an extremely light snow season, except for a 20" blizzard last week, and people here were bitching and moaning.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 02-13-2015, 05:37 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 9
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 4
I'm a bit anal retentive when it comes to snowblowing, or everything, for that matter. The snow lines have to be straight, 3" away from my lawn's edge, the piles have to be in the right location, etc. As a result, I've been operating under survival mode lately. Maybe it's just me, but I find it hard to relax and capture videos in blizzard conditions with over a foot of snow on the ground. After the initial pass, I'm more at ease. But by then, there's not much left to video.

-Ken

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2011 John Deere 1330se

post #3 of 32 Old 02-13-2015, 06:21 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 27
Likes (Received): 42
Running out of places to put snow on my small in-town property. More snow on the way. MH

1960 Ariens 45-10M
1961 Ariens 10M55
1977 Ariens 22000
1972 Ariens 10000
1990 Ariens ST724
1987 Toro 724
Murray Ultra 522
MTD Single stage
8 hp MTD hybrid plow
post #4 of 32 Old 02-13-2015, 06:50 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 94
Thanks (Received): 84
Likes (Given): 219
Likes (Received): 134
While I love getting out there, being immersed in the snow falls and fighting back with the machinery, I'm quite concerned about the snow loads on the roof, ice dams and the safety of the school kids and other pedestrians forced to walk in the streets. A few people have been killed during these past weeks and roofs are starting to collapse.
post #5 of 32 Old 02-13-2015, 07:30 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Received): 9
It's a little over the top - too much too quickly. I spent 3 hours moving snow around so I'd have a place to put the 12+ inches that's coming-in Valentines Day. Haven't had to do that but maybe twice before. Sheesh.
post #6 of 32 Old 02-13-2015, 08:03 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 10
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 6
hey theres another foot or so coming this weekend right??? aaaaaarrrrggggg lol i love my snowblower but ya know??? enough is enough lol

2014 ariens deluxe 28+

post #7 of 32 Old 02-13-2015, 08:19 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 80
Thanks (Received): 17
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 15
Well this is my first year in the house. 115' x 8' and then a 40x40 section ...decent size driveway.
I started off with the Deere, now have 4 total and working on a 5th. I think these will become toys for the summer where I can take some time and clean up. Possibly repower and sell some.

As far as where to put it. I try to take everything from the 40x40 and blow it to part of the 100ft strip...then I blow that to a little marsh/swap area we have where it wont get in to any foundations or leachfield area

96 Mustang - Race car
2005 Mustang - Daily Driver
15 Grand Cherokee Altitude - Mall Crawler
2007 Anderson Open Deck 19ft Trailer
1998 828D John Deere
1996 828D John Deere
2015 D110 John deere
ST724 Ariens not sure of year
1978 Ariens 924000
1964 10ML60D
post #8 of 32 Old 02-13-2015, 08:54 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 5
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 27
We're not too bad here in NJ.. got enough to test the toys, but not so much as to be inundated. It sucks to have to deal with a lot of snow, but at least it is satisfying to be prepared for it when it happens.

Still, I am looking forward to spring.

Toro 3650 (primary)
Toro 2450 (recent purchase)
Toro PowerLite (3hp)
Craftsman 3/20 (also recent, will likely flip)
Toro 1800 electric (gone)
Shovels (and aspirin)
post #9 of 32 Old 02-13-2015, 10:09 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 26
Likes (Received): 98
WestminsterFJR, I am in the same club. But your 3" off the edge of the grass is my 3' over the edge of the grass to allow for the whole winter season of clearing. And it's 10' in the back yard.

My dad gives me a hard time about treating the clearing of the snow like it's a science. I tell him, "dad, it is a science." He says just go out and clear it and be done with it. I just laugh my DUPA off when he tells me that.

Anyway, there is a lot of planning on how to clear your property.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestminsterFJR View Post
I'm a bit anal retentive when it comes to snowblowing, or everything, for that matter. The snow lines have to be straight, 3" away from my lawn's edge, the piles have to be in the right location, etc. As a result, I've been operating under survival mode lately. Maybe it's just me, but I find it hard to relax and capture videos in blizzard conditions with over a foot of snow on the ground. After the initial pass, I'm more at ease. But by then, there's not much left to video.
post #10 of 32 Old 02-13-2015, 10:12 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Received): 12
I couldn't love it more! I enjoy every minute I am outside snowblowing so this winter (last 3 weeks really) has been great. At this point I am hoping we crush the all time snow record for Boston.

As for next year, there is no way we can duplicate what's happening now, but I will still enjoy cleaning any of the smaller systems we may get.

1961 Ariens 10ML-35
1963 Ariens 10M-L60D
1969 Ariens 10970
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page