LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 02-15-2015, 07:38 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 2
Slick tool to clear a roof..

Anyone see this video yet. It shows what looks like a homemade roof clearing tool, and it works pretty darn good.

Looks like something that should be sold in stores....

What do you think?

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10152569390321933
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 02-15-2015, 08:17 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 5
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 27
Same idea as the rake posted earlier. The sheet metal slices thru the snow nicely. Looks like maybe a foot is about the max depth that is designed for.. If the snow is much deeper, the 'column' might not break off as cleanly. If you are making one yourself, you could design it to whatever depth you want.. maybe adding an upright 'knife' to the leading edge, sticking up like an antenna, could allow it to still be effective in 18", maybe more.

Also, as I am reading a little about clearing roofs, roof raking sounds like a somewhat common practice. As I am reading, I am wondering if the leading edge of the rake can catch on the bottom of the shingle and do some damage. Trying to clear the snow right down to the shingles probably increases the odds of catching a shingle, as opposed to leaving a little snow on the roof.

I don't have the huge snow here like some others, but my gutters look like they are taking a beating this winter. As the snow thaws and refreezes, it migrates south like a glacier and the ice is really pushing on the gutters in a few spots. Really wish I had some way of clearing from a second story roof (bottom edge about 25' off the deck, on small lots with tight spacing between houses) without having to get up on a ladder.

Toro 3650 (primary)
Toro 2450 (recent purchase)
Toro PowerLite (3hp)
Craftsman 3/20 (also recent, will likely flip)
Toro 1800 electric (gone)
Shovels (and aspirin)

Last edited by time2time; 02-15-2015 at 08:31 AM.
post #3 of 23 Old 02-15-2015, 08:26 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 18
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 26
Just built my version, actually on the second after a few tweaks, Really does work way better than a regular roof rake.

Slice and slide...ver 1.

Slice and slide...Ver. 2. Lighter, stronger and uses a standard roof rake handle.

Video of Ver. 1.

Ariens Pro Hydro 28 Rapidtrak
Toro 2450
Toro 3650
Toro powerclear 1800
post #4 of 23 Old 02-15-2015, 09:04 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 27
Likes (Received): 42
The ladder part is scary. I'll stick to my conventional rake and what I can reach. MH

1960 Ariens 45-10M
1961 Ariens 10M55
1977 Ariens 22000
1972 Ariens 10000
1990 Ariens ST724
1987 Toro 724
Murray Ultra 522
MTD Single stage
8 hp MTD hybrid plow
post #5 of 23 Old 02-15-2015, 09:54 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 29
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 66
I like the rollers on side.. can adjust just enough not to catch the shingle edge. Looks like a great idea. I can tell you with someone who has a bad back as mine- reaching up and pulling hurts far more than pushing. I always am conscious of pulling too much or I'm down for several days.
post #6 of 23 Old 02-15-2015, 10:21 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 336
Likes (Given): 148
Likes (Received): 764
Quote:
Originally Posted by time2time View Post
Same idea as the rake posted earlier. The sheet metal slices thru the snow nicely. Looks like maybe a foot is about the max depth that is designed for..
But here is something I dont understand..
there is absolutely no need to remove one foot of snow from a roof! ever!
so I dont get it..

but that leads me to an interesting question..
Here in Western NY, Rochester area, no one rakes snow from the roof..ever..in my 46 years on the planet, living in this area, I have never once seen, or even heard of, anyone removing snow from a roof..it just doesn't happen. and we very often get 3-feet or more at a time..parts of my roof probably have 3 feet of snow on it at this very moment..I am not the least bit concerned about it.

Do different parts of the country have different building codes based on annual snowfall amounts? it seems they must..because raking the roof is simply a non-issue around here, no one does it, ever.

and I just cant imagine that anyone would ever need to need to be worried about a foot of snow..to me, 12" is no different than 1".

I might start to worry about the roof at 4 feet of snow..
but less than that, nope..simply not a concern.

Is there a "building standards" issue going on here?
Scot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 23 Old 02-15-2015, 10:26 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 18
Likes (Received): 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead64 View Post
The ladder part is scary. I'll stick to my conventional rake and what I can reach. MH
It's all good, it's a nice platform ladder, about 6' to the platform, just enough to get where I need to reach.

Ariens Pro Hydro 28 Rapidtrak
Toro 2450
Toro 3650
Toro powerclear 1800
post #8 of 23 Old 02-15-2015, 10:32 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 8
Likes (Received): 5
Roof raking became common in my area after 2010-2011. We had a lot of snow with high water content that year and roofs were collapsing throughout the state.
Barn roofs, warehouse roofs, supermarkets, schools, and even some single family ranch houses. It was pretty scary, and lots of people still remember that winter.
Another reason is to prevent ice dams that can cause leaks. Currently I have several friends this year that are having that problem.
Even eight inches of heavy wet now can cause ice dams that create roof leaks if the owner did not have an ice barrier put on the roof or does not have a well insulated attic.

Last edited by Surge; 02-15-2015 at 10:37 AM.
post #9 of 23 Old 02-15-2015, 10:43 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Received): 0
I live in Buffalo in Western New York and I use a roof rake. It's used on a low slope garage roof and a rear one story addition to the house that the snow likes to collect on. My main hose is 1 1/2 story with a healthy 7/12 pitch. They showed on a segment on TV where you may have one foot of snow on the roof but in time it gets saturated with moisture and becomes much more heavy.

Had a neighbor 2 car garage collapse during our recent 4-6 foot snow storm in November. Also had a one story house roof collapse in Alden, NY during the storm. The people cleaned their driveway BEFORE working on the roof.

People will re-shingle their roof and not strip off the old layer. You can do up to three layers by code. The problem is the weight. One layer is 3600 lbs and add additional layers, etc. Then add the snow weight.

Got a Garant roof rake , from ACE hardware. A poly blade and no harm to my roof in 5 years of use.

Removing the snow help in preventing ice dams, where the water backs up under the shingles and goes into the house causing water damage.

It's fairly rare but I have seen (smart) people using roof rakes in my travels in the area.

My 2 cents.

Last edited by Lakota; 02-15-2015 at 11:00 AM.
post #10 of 23 Old 02-15-2015, 10:52 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 5
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by sscotsman View Post
But here is something I dont understand..
there is absolutely no need to remove one foot of snow from a roof! ever!
so I dont get it...

...Do different parts of the country have different building codes based on annual snowfall amounts? it seems they must..because raking the roof is simply a non-issue around here, no one does it, ever.

...Is there a "building standards" issue going on here?
Scot
That would be my guess, that things like zoning and building codes are largely based on local, rather than national standards. By the same logic, I would imagine that buildings art required to have greater earthquake safeguards built in in Calif than in Fla

I think people who use such tools tend to clean the roof as it accumulates, and not let it get to 4' before clearing it.

Toro 3650 (primary)
Toro 2450 (recent purchase)
Toro PowerLite (3hp)
Craftsman 3/20 (also recent, will likely flip)
Toro 1800 electric (gone)
Shovels (and aspirin)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page