LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 61 Old 02-19-2015, 10:32 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 5
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 2
Smile Best Snowblower Ever, In Your Opinion

After seeing the Worst Snowblower Ever thread, I figured a Best Snowblower Ever one would be appropriate for discussion. While the "best" is always subjective, I think it'd still be fun to have the discussion.

In my limited experience, I'd vote for the mid to late 80s version of the Ariens 924050 ST824. I set up both my SIL and FIL with one a couple of winters ago, and while the in-laws are in Florida I get to use his. The machine is a brute, but still somehow very balanced so moving it around is quite easy. Very little effort is needed to lift the bucket off the ground, and with the differential disengaged it rolls and turns almost effortlessly. But on the other hand, the bucket is still heavy enough that it doesn't ride up on the EOD pack either. The 16" auger (I think) makes quick work of larger depths of snow and the 12" impeller really moves it out the chute fast.

The 8hp Tecumseh still runs like a champ on both machines, and they both came with the better tires with the traction lugs so no need for chains. The chute rotation control being on the dashboard is a nice feature, and now it's a requirement for any blower that I intend to buy.

The chute design is nice, too in that it's taller than most I've seen in the 8hp range of that era and the shape of the chute makes a really nice and tight snow stream that won't blow around in the wind. The skid shoes are very basic, yet reversible, and that keeps cost down and they don't seem to wear out quickly.

I just cannot think of anything on the machine that I would say could be better designed or built. I've been trying to get my SIL to trade hers for my Estate 523 and some cash, but she won't do it even though the 523 would be a more appropriate size for her small, cramped driveway.

So let's hear everyone's opinions on what they think is the "best" snowblower. This should be interesting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 61 Old 02-19-2015, 10:36 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 480
Thanks (Received): 345
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1134
THE POWERSHIFT!!!!!! like you really did not see that 1 coming. 3,419

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #3 of 61 Old 02-19-2015, 10:40 AM

Location: Magnetic Hill, New Brunswick Canada Average snowfall (111.0'')282.0cms
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 85
Likes (Given): 19
Likes (Received): 525
I think you will get as many opinions as there are models and owners except for maybe the Stanley ;( However I've had great luck and satisfaction from Yamaha over 35 years.

So I have to vote for Yamaha!

''Never drive faster than your guardian ANGEL can fly''
post #4 of 61 Old 02-19-2015, 12:15 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by POWERSHIFT93 View Post
THE POWERSHIFT!!!!!! like you really did not see that 1 coming. 3,419
Yep, I walked right into that one. I would have agreed with you a little while ago with owning one, but it's such a workout using mine that it's actually a relief going over and using the ST824 at the in-laws. With how heavy duty the Powershifts are, I thought they'd do most of the work themselves.
post #5 of 61 Old 02-19-2015, 12:19 PM
Mac

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Likes (Given): 3
Hondas are the best, expensive yes but you get what you pay for.
post #6 of 61 Old 02-19-2015, 12:29 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 92
Likes (Given): 446
Likes (Received): 148
i would say the honda hs1332 because of the build quality and reliability, and the hydro. Next up our the medium and large frame toro like my 38080 824, they are built like tanks and all though somewhat lacking in features they throw very well, are hard to break, and all major parts are still readily available and relatively inexpensive, including major gearbox components, unlike some of the older ariens st and 10,000 series parts which have been discontinued for quite a while
post #7 of 61 Old 02-19-2015, 12:30 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 30
Thanks (Received): 40
Likes (Given): 27
Likes (Received): 44
I got three nominees to consider. Best may be only by a small margin over the beloved Ariens and Toro... but my three nominess would indeed be Honda, Yamaha and my old favorite the late 60's-early 70's Gravely Snow-canon.

If I had a nice long driveway I'd find me a gravely and do a restore.

That said, for my size driveway I still love my Powershift.

The meltdown is under way ...

91' Toro Powershift 824/Predator 301cc
05' Toro 3650/ 6.5 RTek
post #8 of 61 Old 02-19-2015, 12:54 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 136
Thanks (Received): 268
Likes (Given): 361
Likes (Received): 905
No brand allegiance really. The very best snowblower I've ever used is the one that is doimg what I need it to do at the time. I had an MTD for 17-18 years and it performed flawlessly. Old Gilson, the same. Have owned half dozen Toros. All good. A few Ariens..... 522ss let me down big time. Have a Sno Tek now and happy with it.
If I'm using it and it works it's my favorite.

Joe

Sent from my junky old Hisense 7" tablet that I can barely see.
Toro 724
Toro CCR 3650E
Toro 5/21 sold
Ariens 5/22 ss ..Sold
Ariens Sno Tek 7/24 sold.
Old green plastic snow shovel... Sent.to shovel Heaven
Old quarry shovel for ice.
New.green shovel
post #9 of 61 Old 02-19-2015, 04:33 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 213
Thanks (Received): 293
Likes (Given): 1635
Likes (Received): 571
everyone expects their 8+hp snowblower to be a beast but I am most impressed with my toro 521 team and that's without an impeller kit next up would be my ccr2450E, we have been through every winter snowfall since the year 2000 without a breakdown or any other problem

current machines
1-toro2450E-38419. 1-toro3000E-38435. 1-toro 3650E-38445
2-toro 521E-38052. 1-toro xl824pt 38086
1-.............,TORO XL 624ps..............
1-............, TORO XL 824ps..............
william
post #10 of 61 Old 02-19-2015, 04:40 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 30
Thanks (Received): 40
Likes (Given): 27
Likes (Received): 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by micah68kj View Post
No brand allegiance really. The very best snowblower I've ever used is the one that is doimg what I need it to do at the time. I had an MTD for 17-18 years and it performed flawlessly. Old Gilson, the same. Have owned half dozen Toros. All good. A few Ariens..... 522ss let me down big time. Have a Sno Tek now and happy with it.
If I'm using it and it works it's my favorite.
OH GOD.. I forgot about the Gilsons They had some nice machines indeed, and large impellers, I hear some were cast too and thick metal. Yeah, cannot forget those.

The meltdown is under way ...

91' Toro Powershift 824/Predator 301cc
05' Toro 3650/ 6.5 RTek
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page