Throwing in the towel with my Toro 828 LXE. What should be next? - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 Old 02-22-2015, 05:27 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Throwing in the towel with my Toro 828 LXE. What should be next?

I've had a Toro 828 LXE for about 8 years and it has never worked well for me. It almost never starts when the temperature goes below around 15 F (which has been fairly often in Central NY where I live) and I've often had problems with either the wheels or the augers not turning (perhaps 4 times over the 8 years). I have it serviced by the dealer I bought it from and I've had no complaints about them, but the bottom line is that at least once per winter I've found myself with lots of snow and no snowblower. So it's time to replace it.

Based on this experience, I was fairly decided to go with an Ariens. I cannot afford a Honda and there don't seem to be any used ones around here. My hesitation with the Ariens is the engines. I see that the Toros still use Briggs & Stratton engines. So, now I'm torn between the two. Should I give Toro another chance?

I'd like to spend around $1200, but could go up to $1500 or so.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 02-22-2015, 05:33 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 213
Thanks (Received): 293
Likes (Given): 1645
Likes (Received): 581
hello paul, welcome to SBF!! how handy are you with a wrench? there are service manuals on the forum to help you get your toro in tip top shape, seems like the dealer is missing something. your owners manual could help also and if you don't have an owners manual anymore you can download it free on toro's website. my favorite new ariens is the sho 24

current machines
1-toro2450E-38419. 1-toro3000E-38435. 1-toro 3650E-38445
2-toro 521E-38052. 1-toro xl824pt 38086
1-.............,TORO XL 624ps..............
1-............, TORO XL 824ps..............
william
post #3 of 31 Old 02-22-2015, 05:51 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 7
Likes (Received): 5
Briggs are Chinese engines now.
post #4 of 31 Old 02-22-2015, 05:58 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 70
Thanks (Received): 57
Likes (Given): 425
Likes (Received): 139
Welcome Paul , this is a great place to help you get your toro running up to par . Lots of good help here
Tough time of year to be buying new , so if that is your plan I hope you are just planning ahead for next year.

Phil

Ariens 2 foot SHO
post #5 of 31 Old 02-22-2015, 06:41 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
While I'm OK with a wrench, I avoid working on my machines mostly because I don't have a garage or other suitable place to work. It's also not where I'd prefer to spend my time.

I really need something that is just going to work basically every time. My wife is a nurse and taking a snow day isn't an option. It's really a problem when I wake up to a driveway full of snow and my blower doesn't start. Is it unreasonable to expect that with maintenance / service done by the dealer each fall (and fuel stabilizer added at the end of each winter) my snowblower would work every time?
post #6 of 31 Old 02-22-2015, 06:58 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 123
Thanks (Received): 117
Likes (Given): 257
Likes (Received): 138
I only have about 25-30 hrs on the 306cc engine on my 2014 Ariens Platinum SHO but it hasn't missed a beat.
I have blown snow with the temp around zero 3 times and it has always started on the first pull.

Today it took me four pulls and after it started I realized that
I forgot to hit the primer (3 times) before pulling the cord.
post #7 of 31 Old 02-22-2015, 07:11 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 213
Thanks (Received): 293
Likes (Given): 1645
Likes (Received): 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Ebert View Post
While I'm OK with a wrench, I avoid working on my machines mostly because I don't have a garage or other suitable place to work. It's also not where I'd prefer to spend my time.

I really need something that is just going to work basically every time. My wife is a nurse and taking a snow day isn't an option. It's really a problem when I wake up to a driveway full of snow and my blower doesn't start. Is it unreasonable to expect that with maintenance / service done by the dealer each fall (and fuel stabilizer added at the end of each winter) my snowblower would work every time?
my garage is very small more like a tall shed and there is too much stuff in there. I try and do as much as I can when time allows in the spring, summer, and fall. while I like the ariens sho 24 I'm not willing to part with the cash to buy one. I've gotten all my snowblowers up and running with minimal help from a shop just by spending an hour or two here and there

current machines
1-toro2450E-38419. 1-toro3000E-38435. 1-toro 3650E-38445
2-toro 521E-38052. 1-toro xl824pt 38086
1-.............,TORO XL 624ps..............
1-............, TORO XL 824ps..............
william
post #8 of 31 Old 02-22-2015, 07:14 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 17
Likes (Received): 79
Quote:
I've had a Toro 828 LXE for about 8 years and it has never worked well for me. It almost never starts when the temperature goes below around 15 F (which has been fairly often in Central NY where I live) and I've often had problems with either the wheels or the augers not turning (perhaps 4 times over the 8 years). I have it serviced by the dealer I bought it from and I've had no complaints about them, but the bottom line is that at least once per winter I've found myself with lots of snow and no snowblower. So it's time to replace it.

Based on this experience, I was fairly decided to go with an Ariens. I cannot afford a Honda and there don't seem to be any used ones around here. My hesitation with the Ariens is the engines. I see that the Toros still use Briggs & Stratton engines. So, now I'm torn between the two. Should I give Toro another chance?

I'd like to spend around $1200, but could go up to $1500 or so.

If I had to buy a snowblower, instead of tinkering with machines that are 40 years old, I would buy an Ariens. If it acted up on me, I'd address those issues and straighten it out. To be honest there's rarely a problem with a small machine that can't be fixed, it's a matter of determination. You'd be much better off with an Ariens that needed service in the future, rather than a Toro that needed service, IMHO. The truth is, they ALL need service sooner or later. There's no magic bullet.

just say NO to Chinese made ANYTHING !
1967 S-242 Snowbird 4/24
AMF Dynamark Luminaire 5362 8/26 3-stage
Craftsman Drift Breaker 10/32 3-stage
Gilson 55012 8/26 gear drive
Ariens 910010 8/32
Cub Cadet 268 8/26
Yard-Man Snowbird 7040-0 5/22
Ariens 10M-L35 3.5/24
New Holland/Gilson Unitrol 8/26
(2) AMF Polar Bear 7/26 3-stage project/parts machines
post #9 of 31 Old 02-22-2015, 07:20 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 85
Likes (Given): 27
Likes (Received): 82
Quote:
I really need something that is just going to work basically every time. Is it unreasonable to expect that with maintenance / service done by the dealer each fall (and fuel stabilizer added at the end of each winter) my snowblower would work every time?
You are definitively right on this one as anyone who looks after his machines like you do should expect reliability and more so because of your wife's occupation and wish you good luck on your next purchase of either Ariens or Toro as both make good snow blowers.

Snow Removal Apparatus I own:
Ariens ST1530DLE, and good ole arm powered scrapper.
The 15 HP is a new Ducar engine sold
by Princess Auto in Canada.
post #10 of 31 Old 02-22-2015, 08:57 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
So, perhaps I got a lemon and/or perhaps my dealer isn't that good at servicing. Since reliability is rather critical, maybe the best thing is for me to become self-reliant at keeping my Toro or its replacement running. Are there tests I can do or things I should check to indicate if the Toro is in good enough shape that it's worth investing in keeping it running versus buying a new one?

I really appreciate the replies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page