LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 02-28-2015, 12:27 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
Noma Auger Thrown

Hi All, I am an old member (cannot remember my user name) and in need of advice. My GF used the snowblower to help me out and said it made an odd noise. When I look at the blower the Auger on one side is completely out of the metal frame and hitting on the walls of the snowblower. I know I am going to have to pull the belt and hope that the gear box is ok, but any tips on how to do this easily? Its a Noma 8/27. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 02-28-2015, 12:58 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 10
Likes (Received): 35
Sounds like the end of the auger popped out of the bearing? If so, you can just pop it back in and see if it works. Then for good measure, you might have to disassemble the housing and pull the auger, then bow the housing sides in to hold things better.

See if you can post a picture. And welcome back!!!

'77 Ariens 924032 "Brick House" Re-Powered with a TEC 10HP and oversize auger pulley
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Kiss4aFrog liked this post
post #3 of 17 Old 02-28-2015, 01:06 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Yeah. It popped out of the bearing and doesn't seem to want to move now at all. It has really not been my week!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1425146758078.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	44441  
post #4 of 17 Old 02-28-2015, 01:38 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 510
Thanks (Received): 681
Likes (Given): 3844
Likes (Received): 1478
Garage
If that plastic bushing isn't broken it might be a better idea to unbolt it so you aren't bending the side of the auger housing out trying to get the shaft back into it. Just unbolt it, slip it on the auger and push the auger and bushing back into place and bolt it down.

Did she say anything about running over anything or getting something jammed in there when this started making noise ??

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 17 Old 02-28-2015, 01:40 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 29
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 66
Can you or did you get it back into bearing? older ariens and I think most have a bolt and big washer that threads into outside of shaft so won't pop out. As far as not moving.. if still out it could be impellor binding. get it back in place first. Hoping didn't take the gears out of gear box. but if back in place and not moving.. and the belt area looks ok- then might be the gear box. Thinking it is binding though.
post #6 of 17 Old 03-01-2015, 11:02 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 196
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 250
Had someone with an MTD do that after hitting a brick or something. I had to separate the machine in half and remove the whole gearbox from the blower section to get it back together. There was not enough room to slide it back in in place without severely bending the outside housing out.

When I had the blower assembly out of the housing I bent both sides inward to get a nice tight fit. Also, with the plastic bushing make sure they are tight on the shaft. If they are worn or cracked it would be a good idea to replace them so it doesn't happen again so easily.

Please direct all snow blower questions to the forums and not to me with PMs.
post #7 of 17 Old 03-01-2015, 11:13 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 36
Likes (Given): 62
Likes (Received): 85
That seems to be a high stress area and strikes me odd that any maker would use polymer (plastic) materials there. I'd prefer to see steel flange mount bearings or bronze bearing blocks to help assure that when you engage an obstacle with the auger only the shear pins/bolts would yield and stop motion.

I'm going look closer at my Ariens machines to see just what they've done. I just have this small photo that appears to show metal on the left there.

2015 Ariens Deluxe 28+ 921037, 414cc LCT (now son's)
2014 Ariens Platinum 30 921029, 414cc LCT (mine forever)
post #8 of 17 Old 03-01-2015, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I took the front of the blower off and was able to remove the impeller and the bushing. The bushing was cracked and I used a plastic epoxy to try and fix it since I couldn't find anything that would fit it available at the local parts store. Going to try another one and see if they have something.
Reattached everything, but found the tension spring to the belt had been completely disconnected. Attempted to reattach but can't see the second attachment point, just the arm over the belt which is the easy one. Any one experience this? Once I do that I will take her out and see if gears are stripped or it works. Its a good day to try it as we already have 2 inches down and another 4-6 expected!
post #9 of 17 Old 03-01-2015, 06:52 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 196
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 250
I can't help with the spring, but I wonder if a hose clamp over the bushing will help hold things in place until you can find a replacement. Possibly also put it back in turned a different way to the weak spot is towards the back and doesn't get as much pressure on it.

Please direct all snow blower questions to the forums and not to me with PMs.
post #10 of 17 Old 03-01-2015, 08:21 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 36
Likes (Given): 62
Likes (Received): 85
Where are you located? If you were near me I could probably make you a new part in an hour with the aluminum, brass, bronze or Delrin (acetal) that I stock in my Worcester MA machine shop.

2015 Ariens Deluxe 28+ 921037, 414cc LCT (now son's)
2014 Ariens Platinum 30 921029, 414cc LCT (mine forever)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page