LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 Old 03-01-2015, 07:31 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 29
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 66
dare I 'dismantle' the beast?

I'm trying to get a 18-24hp Honda for my mini skid steer and not much luck unless buy new.. and new twin Honda is- well over my budget. I did buy a 18hp Kohler command but the shaft is too big for the special triple groove pulley. Not likely I'll do it- but considering taking the 20 hp Honda off the blower and putting in the Kohler? This means 'all' the work into shrouding (ss), scoop, exhaust,ect would have to be re-done as well as adding a rewind to the Kohler, and paint..- EEK! ok.. I just talked myself out of it! anybody got a used big Honda?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 03-01-2015, 07:57 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 46
Thanks (Received): 67
Likes (Given): 57
Likes (Received): 106
Geno. How about using this instead of dismantling the Beast? You need to be the first to power something with the Harbor Freight V twin Predator engine for $699.99

http://www.harborfreight.com/engines...epa-61614.html

Last edited by GustoGuy; 03-01-2015 at 08:07 PM.
post #3 of 27 Old 03-01-2015, 08:19 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 90
Thanks (Received): 71
Likes (Given): 307
Likes (Received): 138
Geno do Not 'dismantle' the beast?....That could bring Jail time for even thing that.

2014,TORO 1128 OXE Power Max HD

Last edited by Hanky; 03-01-2015 at 10:50 PM.
post #4 of 27 Old 03-01-2015, 08:22 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 24
Thanks (Received): 34
Likes (Given): 15
Likes (Received): 23
I read the title and dropped my phone in disbelief, lol. All I have to say is thank God you talked yourself out of it by the end of your post! There is another power plant out there, a man with your skills will surely find something. Please don't ever talk that way again about that piece of art you built!

Ray
1962 Ariens 10ML60
1979 Toro 524
1975 MTD Snowflite 4/22
post #5 of 27 Old 03-01-2015, 08:23 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I thought about that but after reading some reviews (50/50) I thought I'd rather have a Honda as it has awesome track record. It is going to be very tight fit with custom exhaust work so want a tried and true performer as I'd have to pull motor to work on it.. Not saying it wouldn't be good but just rather let it get some time on it by others before being sold on it. I know the smaller predator's seem to be working out good for folks. I'll get the right engine but will take time. Might even go diesel in the skid. Not going to touch the blower. Thanks
post #6 of 27 Old 03-01-2015, 08:26 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 36
Likes (Given): 62
Likes (Received): 85
Why not just bore out the pulley to mate with the larger shaft and broach a new keyway?

About a 30 minute job for me, including cleanup of the lathe, broach and arbor press.

2015 Ariens Deluxe 28+ 921037, 414cc LCT (now son's)
2014 Ariens Platinum 30 921029, 414cc LCT (mine forever)
post #7 of 27 Old 03-01-2015, 09:04 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 46
Thanks (Received): 67
Likes (Given): 57
Likes (Received): 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by PixMan View Post
Why not just bore out the pulley to mate with the larger shaft and broach a new keyway?

About a 30 minute job for me, including cleanup of the lathe, broach and arbor press.
Lots of Talented individuals here on the Forum. Machinists nonetheless. No problem too big or too small to overcome with ingenuity. I am a tinkerer by heart too.

Geno. Only 2 people had issues with the Predator V twin 22hp and one was only for it's idle speed too high for the clutch. You could buy the extended warrenty and Harbor Freight is great about honoring their warrenties. I find that all my Predator 212cc engines run more like a Honda 196 GX engine then the Tecumseh it replaced and that's a good thing because I had nothing but trouble with the Tecumseh. Most finicky engine I every had the displeasure to own. Now my Briggs engines on both of the lawn mowers are working great and start every time and run well so I will keep them. If the Tecumseh had worked well it would still be sitting on the snow blower because I belong to the if it's not broke do not fix it club. I use Amsoil and I take good care of my stuff and I cleaned the carb on the Tecumseh and rebuilt the carburetor too and it never seem to want to run all that well despite my great level of care. Use a good synthetic oil in it and it will last and last.

Last edited by GustoGuy; 03-01-2015 at 10:03 PM.
post #8 of 27 Old 03-01-2015, 09:10 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
ya.. I too don't care a lot about Tecumseh. But some sure are survivors. The skid motor is a 16hp ohv tec.. not running well and noisy. Thinking I'd replace rather than re-build. I'll think on that pred motor. I got to pull engine to see for sure shaft size. Just to crazy cold right now.
post #9 of 27 Old 03-01-2015, 09:56 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 139
Thanks (Received): 270
Likes (Given): 372
Likes (Received): 912
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geno View Post
ya.. I too don't care a lot about Tecumseh. But some sure are survivors. The skid motor is a 16hp ohv tec.. not running well and noisy. Thinking I'd replace rather than re-build. I'll think on that pred motor. I got to pull engine to see for sure shaft size. Just to crazy cold right now.
Geno, have you thought of the possibility of a small Diesel?

Joe

Sent from my junky old Hisense 7" tablet that I can barely see.
Toro 724
Toro CCR 3650E
Toro 5/21 sold
Ariens 5/22 ss ..Sold
Ariens Sno Tek 7/24 sold.
Old green plastic snow shovel... Sent.to shovel Heaven
Old quarry shovel for ice.
New.green shovel
post #10 of 27 Old 03-01-2015, 10:45 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 3
What about a Briggs oppy? They have torque, the horizontals usually have pressurized oil and PTO bearing, and they can be found fairly cheap used.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page