Hello from Westchester, NY Need help choosing a blower - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 03-07-2015, 11:28 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Hello from Westchester, NY Need help choosing a blower

Hi,A newbie here, I'm hoping I can get a little help. I am the furthest thing from a motor head. I just destroyed my first snowblower by not checking the oil (yes, stupid me)and it's seized up. The repair shop tells me it's not worth fixing. It's too bad because it was fine for my needs. It was a Craftsman 28" with tracks. I got it used and had it four seasons. I have a long driveway, maybe a tenth of a mile, and then it winds around the house and gets real wide when it gets to the two car carport, so even the oil truck can turn around. And it's got two pretty steep hills, and both bend, and both are where the sun never shines. The local shop that told me the machine isn't worth fixing also says I don't need tracks. They've seen it when they picked it up. Whadya think? Wheels with chains will work?

And whadya think about this?
SNOW BLOWER MTD 10HP 33"PATH
or this?
Snow Blower

Thanks all, for any advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 03-07-2015, 11:36 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 122
Thanks (Received): 116
Likes (Given): 254
Likes (Received): 137
Hello Canoejon, sorry I can't be of any help, but I can offer you a hearty, WELCOME ABOARD!!
post #3 of 17 Old 03-08-2015, 12:41 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 510
Thanks (Received): 681
Likes (Given): 3844
Likes (Received): 1478
Garage
Welcome to the forum Canoejon

If your drive is fairly flat you might be better served with tires and no chains. Depending on the hills tires should be ok but how did you feel using the tracks ?? Newer tires have very good grip and the chains tend to shake the machine.

They might not think it's worth putting an engine on it but you could always sell it to someone on Craigslist who does.

That 10hp 33" is likely damaged. It looks like the piece of wood on it's left side is to reinforce the bucket from it bending.

That and the augers are on backwards so it would be pushing snow to the sides of the bucket instead of to the center and out the impeller
Whoever buys it has to pull the auger/impeller assembly out of it and swap those augers.

The MTD is a lighter duty, homeowner machine but the price vs it's condition looks like a much better deal.

The Yellow monster is likely a little heavier construction but I'd be worried who's been using it, how it's been maintained and who the clutz was that put the augers on backwards.
If they were both $200 I'd lean more towards the MTD snowflite.

I'd suggest looking for a good used Toro or Ariens. At $600 you might even run into a Honda.

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Kiss4aFrog; 03-08-2015 at 09:54 AM.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes detdrbuzzard liked this post
post #4 of 17 Old 03-08-2015, 01:23 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 30
Thanks (Received): 40
Likes (Given): 27
Likes (Received): 44
+1 on the vote for a good used Toro or Ariens... and add Simplicity to that list, the ones with model 860/870 style frame (squareish tubing leading up to handlegrips) they are nicely built machines. Throw a set of tire chains on one and it will do well.

The meltdown is under way ...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

91' Toro Powershift 824/Predator 301cc
05' Toro 3650/ 6.5 RTek
post #5 of 17 Old 03-08-2015, 06:35 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 5
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 27
For quality brands, there is a HATS acronym, which stands for Honda, Ariens, Toro, and Snapper / Simplicity. Craftsman is generally viewed here as middling quality, and MTD doesn't get a lot of love here. Personally, I like Toro because it is good quality and there are a lot of them on the used market, but that is my personal take.

If we are really done with the snow for the season (as i hope for the area) prices will likely tumble in the coming months, if cost and value are important to you. Where in Westchester are you located? Generally a little more snow if you are north of 287, and another step up in snow as you get to 84.

Toro 3650 (primary)
Toro 2450 (recent purchase)
Toro PowerLite (3hp)
Craftsman 3/20 (also recent, will likely flip)
Toro 1800 electric (gone)
Shovels (and aspirin)
Likes RoyP liked this post
post #6 of 17 Old 03-08-2015, 08:26 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 480
Thanks (Received): 348
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1142
get the BLOODY yellow 1. ALOHA from the paradise city. here in the unfrozen TUNDRA.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #7 of 17 Old 03-08-2015, 08:57 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 177
Thanks (Received): 156
Likes (Given): 1636
Likes (Received): 381
Welcome to SBF neighbor! (I'm across the River in Orange county).

+1 on what the other guys said already.

this one pops-up in our area:

Toro 828 Powershift (Briggs) for $500...been on the market awhile, bet you can get him down a bit especially with it being the end of the season.

('72 Sears 3520)

('89 Toro 824)

('70 Allis-Chalmers Tracker-7)

('80 Toro 724)

('95 Ariens ST724) --> Sold

('71 Ariens 910965 SnoThro 524)
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes detdrbuzzard, POWERSHIFT93 liked this post
post #8 of 17 Old 03-08-2015, 09:14 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 17
Thanks (Received): 11
Likes (Given): 13
Likes (Received): 12
Welcome from the Garden State

Toro Snow Commander
Toro Powerlite
post #9 of 17 Old 03-08-2015, 09:49 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 118
Thanks (Received): 277
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 633
Welcome! Sorry to hear your other machine died.

What kind of snow do you get, and how much at a time? Storms that are 4" of fluffy snow would let you get away with a wide bucket, and low power (say 32", 8hp, if anyone made that combo). If you get 12" of wet heavy snow, you will want more power, and you may still need a narrower bucket, to avoid overwhelming the machine (say 26-28", 10hp+).

What is your budget, roughly?

Does your driveway get icy? How did the tracks do for you so far, in terms of traction?

There are a lot more wheeled machines on the market than tracked. I use chains on my tires, I don't have any complaints about traction, even when it gets icy.

Kiss4aFrog is right about the augers appearing to be backwards on the big yellow beast. Unless they rotate in the opposite direction to most machines, which is probably possible, though quite uncommon, I believe. Most machines have the front of the augers rotating down, so they should screw the snow in, towards the middle of the machine.

I'll second the HATS suggestion. Ariens and Toro make very good machines, and they are more common, and cheaper, than Honda and Simplicity.

I had a used mid-90's MTD, 8hp, 26". It was good, and I used it for about 10 years. But I bought a used Ariens ST824 (8hp, 24") after that, and was impressed with the differences. Thicker steel, better designed and built, bigger augers, bigger impeller, and a differential to make turning easy. I now have another used Ariens, which I'm also very happy with.

The red MTD in the CL ad has very small augers. As Kiss4aFrog said, it strikes me as an inexpensive, home-use type machine. Whereas you have a lot to clear. Big augers and a big impeller will help process & throw more snow.

Do also consider support and parts availability. The big yellow beast may be a less common machine. If documentation is tough to find, you may have difficulty figuring out replacement parts, and/or buying them. I'm sure Toro is similar, but manuals and parts support for Ariens machines, even old ones from the 60s-70s, is very good. An awesome machine, brought down by a part you can't obtain, is unfortunate.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
post #10 of 17 Old 03-08-2015, 09:54 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 213
Thanks (Received): 293
Likes (Given): 1642
Likes (Received): 579
Quote:
Originally Posted by POWERSHIFT93 View Post
get the BLOODY yellow 1. ALOHA from the paradise city. here in the unfrozen TUNDRA.
hello jon, welcome to SBF!! don't get the yellow one, it has problems and pass on the craftsman and get something a bit more heavy duty. the end of snowblower season is near so you have all spring, summer, and fall to find something better

current machines
1-toro2450E-38419. 1-toro3000E-38435. 1-toro 3650E-38445
2-toro 521E-38052. 1-toro xl824pt 38086
1-.............,TORO XL 624ps..............
1-............, TORO XL 824ps..............
william
Likes Kiss4aFrog liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page