LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 03-08-2015, 09:19 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Jacobsen Help

Bad winter here. By bad, I mean I just started working on snowblowers last year and have 6 ready to move, but we only needed snowblowers 3 times all winter! Bad for sales, good I guess for picking up cheap stuff this year, assuming I have storage space, (I don't!) Anyway, my neighbor just put an old Jacobsen at the end of his,driveway for free, so natrally, I took it. I'm getting great compression and spark and the gas in the tank just doesn't smell right, so I'd assume the carb needs work. My problem is that I can't find any info about this machine online. Does anyone know of some secret website with old Jacobsen info on it? It looks like a tecumseh 5 hp, which is awesome because I have an electric starter that might fit, 26" auger. Just kinda hoping for a pdf of owners manual or parts catalog. I'll include a picture of the model/serial # if I can figure out how. From what I'm seeing, it's a model 52611 with serial # 2273? Thanks in advance for any help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-08-2015, 09:20 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Pic of manufacturers info
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150308_190257_1425863998918.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	45857  
post #3 of 7 Old 03-08-2015, 09:35 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 29
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 66
what to do..

Just need to get the old gas out of tank- get the carb cleaned good (especially the hole on side of main jet (Bolt going through float bowl w/ adjusting screw in center) and also if has shut0off valve under tank make sure gas runs out of it.. (can get plugged if really dirty/rust inside tank).. others may be able to be more accurate details but this is general direction to go. Very old gas smells like 'varnish' and it will just plug little orfices up or not fire as should. Free is good.. leaves room for buying parts if must.
post #4 of 7 Old 03-08-2015, 10:30 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 92
Likes (Given): 446
Likes (Received): 148
whats that scribed into the frame? also, it couldnt hurt to ask your neighbor if he has manuals for it
post #5 of 7 Old 03-08-2015, 10:35 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 239
Thanks (Received): 281
Likes (Given): 2858
Likes (Received): 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43128 View Post
whats that scribed into the frame? also, it couldnt hurt to ask your neighbor if he has manuals for it
Looks like it was originally owned by a city, county or state of Minnesota.

Toro 8/24 (38080) 1989
Toro 721-QZR (38743) 2015 (Hemi Predator Power)
Toro 421-E (38585) 2008 (New Owner)
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
post #6 of 7 Old 03-08-2015, 11:06 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 553
Thanks (Received): 234
Likes (Given): 584
Likes (Received): 604
There's a couple of places you can try. First, that number 52611 is the model number, and 2273 is the serial number.

According to this web site, it is a 26" Jacobsen Imperial Snow Jet that was manufactured in 1971.

Hit & Miss Model's Jacobsen serial number lookup for products made before 1975

You can use this web site to look up the year of manufacture of most pieces of Jacobsen outdoor power equipment manufactured prior to 1975.

Another place you can try is the customer service web site of Jacobsen/Textron. Check the Technical Support button. They've always been very helpful to me on questions regarding vintage mowers from the 40s and 50s that I've written them about. They checked their archives and were able to get me pdf copies of manuals and parts lists. They may be able to help you out on this one too.

Jacobsen - Renowned for Turf Maintenance Solutions

This manual on ebay claims to be a service manual covering models 51610 through 52642. You might check further to see if yours is in fact in there.

I'm pretty much retired from the forum thing, but I check in every now and then.
post #7 of 7 Old 03-09-2015, 07:57 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 17
Likes (Received): 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by cs42778 View Post
Bad winter here. By bad, I mean I just started working on snowblowers last year and have 6 ready to move, but we only needed snowblowers 3 times all winter! Bad for sales, good I guess for picking up cheap stuff this year, assuming I have storage space, (I don't!) Anyway, my neighbor just put an old Jacobsen at the end of his,driveway for free, so natrally, I took it. I'm getting great compression and spark and the gas in the tank just doesn't smell right, so I'd assume the carb needs work. My problem is that I can't find any info about this machine online. Does anyone know of some secret website with old Jacobsen info on it? It looks like a tecumseh 5 hp, which is awesome because I have an electric starter that might fit, 26" auger. Just kinda hoping for a pdf of owners manual or parts catalog. I'll include a picture of the model/serial # if I can figure out how. From what I'm seeing, it's a model 52611 with serial # 2273? Thanks in advance for any help

I hear you there...if it wasn't for February, we would have had no winter i.e. snow to speak of. Nov-Dec-Jan were snow dud months. what did fall in those months, melted in a day or 2.
this was the winter of the heavy, wet snows...

just say NO to Chinese made ANYTHING !
1967 S-242 Snowbird 4/24
AMF Dynamark Luminaire 5362 8/26 3-stage
Craftsman Drift Breaker 10/32 3-stage
Gilson 55012 8/26 gear drive
Ariens 910010 8/32
Cub Cadet 268 8/26
Yard-Man Snowbird 7040-0 5/22
Ariens 10M-L35 3.5/24
New Holland/Gilson Unitrol 8/26
(2) AMF Polar Bear 7/26 3-stage project/parts machines
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page