John Deere 826 Snow Blower age? origins? - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 Old 11-20-2013, 08:56 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 3
John Deere 826 Snow Blower age? origins?

I picked up an older but beefy snow blower from the local farm implement. Needed something a little more robust than the Honda for the area around the machine shed and office. How old is this JD exactly? It's got an 8 hp Tecumseh Engine with electric start and canopy. I believe it's 26" as well. I'm not sure if JD made these in house or out-sourced these blowers.

Anyone know when this may have been built? She definitely has some get-go to her.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 11-20-2013, 09:27 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 197
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 251
It was built by Ariens in the 1980s.

The Ariens 1960's and 1970's Sno-Thro info site.
post #3 of 24 Old 11-20-2013, 09:54 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 166
Thanks (Received): 299
Likes (Given): 402
Likes (Received): 993
Thumbs up

You got a good one. Not all of them are. Nice machine.

Joe
Sent from my wife's old Toshiba
Ariens 921001
Toro 38074- sold
Toro CCR 3650E-sold
Toro 5/21 sold
Ariens 5/22 ss
Ariens Sno Tek 7/24 sold.
Old green plastic snow shovel... Sent.to shovel Heaven
Old quarry shovel for ice.
New.green shovel
post #4 of 24 Old 11-20-2013, 10:12 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Ariens built that machine? So it is made in the USA after all?

I'm confused after reading that site. Did Ariens make snow blowers before or after 1991 for John Deere?

Anything else I should know about these machines? Any quirks? Tips? Any parts I should stock up on ?
post #5 of 24 Old 11-20-2013, 10:22 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 197
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 251
Yea, reading that confused me. I think Ariens made the early ones, than maybe JD made a few of their own and then in 91 Murray started making them?

jtclays has the same blower has you. I bet he could give you some insight next time he is around.

Give a quick look at the impeller and make sure all 4 blades are bent properly. They seem to get bent backwards on those machines pretty easily.
post #6 of 24 Old 11-20-2013, 10:51 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 47
Thanks (Received): 75
Likes (Given): 66
Likes (Received): 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shryp View Post
It was built by Ariens in the 1980s.

The Ariens 1960's and 1970's Sno-Thro info site.
It is in real nice shape and the old tear drop bucket designed John Derre machines are quite nice. It is made out of thicker guage steel as well and should hold up really well. How does the engine run?

I restored a old Gilson made Montgomery Ward 8/26 and it is certainly built well with the steel body of the snow blower but I am not too impressed with the tired old 1972 Briggs 8hp that is on it. I may still replace the engine on it. It will idle all day fairly well but run it at top speed and it will puff some blue smoke once and a while, may be the valve guides since the cylinder bore was nice and smooth with out any scratches when I checked it and compression tested at about 65psi on my compression guage when I pulled it over when cold. It just runs rather loudly and vibrates a fair amount and the chute adjustment wheel spins while it is running as you can see in my video. It just doesn't run anywhere near as smoothly and quietly as the Predator 212cc. I do not like poor running stuff and maybe an old Briggs 319cc Flat head will never run as nice as a modern OHV engine either so whats the point of my even mentioning it. Sort of like comparing a really old car engine to a modern high tech car engine. New OHV engine is much quieter and has better fuel efficiency with easy 1 to 2 pull starting. The Briggs is tired and I do not know if I really want to throw any more money into it to fix it some more since I will still have an old Briggs flathead. I have seen lots of repowers of old machines like Shryp's machine as well as a few others with new engines on them and dang near all the owners say they love the new engine better and would never go back to the old one.
My old Tecumseh was given away about a week ago. I could not see putting it on another snow blower only to never use it since it alway was difficult to start. Plus that engine too was much louder and rougher running than the Predator 212cc too. I still may get a Predator 212cc to put on it since they are on sale for $99.99 now at Harbor Freight.
post #7 of 24 Old 11-20-2013, 11:23 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 67
Thanks (Received): 377
Likes (Given): 171
Likes (Received): 864
It's confusing? really?
what is confusing about:

Quote:
Ariens also made snowblowers for John Deere! But much later than the Cub's.

Ariens made snowblowers for JD in the 1990's (1991 to 2001)

John Deere made their own snowblowers until 1991.

seems pretty straight-forward to me!
The page then goes to clearly (or so I thought) describe what the JD-built models before 1991 look like,
What the "murray built" JD's look like..then what the Ariens-built machines look like..
there are photos of all three versions..

Matty,
yourt JD snowblower was *not* made by Ariens..it was made by John Deere..Its a "real" JD-built machine, before they started having them made by other companys..dont know the exact age, but its before 1991..Take a look for the model and serial numbers on the side of the engine, and post them here if you find them..that will tell us the model year probably..

(it might have sounded above, that I was being "defensive" about my webpage..but i honestly thought it was very clear! So I am am genuinely curious: what did people find confusing about the JD section on the Ariens website? if there is something unclear or confusing, I will work to make it better..I dont mind taking "constructive criticism" if it will improve the webpage! I do want that page to be as helpful as possible, and it seems it failed this time..)

thanks,
Scot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by sscotsman; 11-20-2013 at 11:35 PM.
post #8 of 24 Old 11-20-2013, 11:31 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Engine runs awfully well. I hit the primer about 3-4 times..choke and one or two pulls is all it takes..I've yet to take it through snow but I'm guessing that will come soon. It's lively
post #9 of 24 Old 11-20-2013, 11:35 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Any idea which JD plant it was made in? My cousin used to work at the JD plant down in Waterloo Iowa back in the 80s

That's pretty cool it was actually made by John Deere. Not too many of those around from what I gather.

What confused me was that the site said they were made by Ariens after 1991 to whenever and then Ariens AND Murray after a certain date....and he stated that it was an 80s era machine...so I wasn't sure

I missed the part where it said JD actually made their own machines.

I've got this old JD Snow blower parked right next to the ancient John Deere 4010 we keep in the shed as well.

Last edited by Matty74; 11-20-2013 at 11:37 PM.
post #10 of 24 Old 11-21-2013, 12:04 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 67
Thanks (Received): 377
Likes (Given): 171
Likes (Received): 864
No one really knows enough about JD snowblowers to know where they were made..we dont even know when JD started making them! JD has always been rather mysterious..

Im sure the information is "out there" somewhere, but no one in the "snowblower hobby", outside of the JD company itself, has ever gathered it all together anywhere..

We now have three snowblower "hobby" webpages dedicated to three brands: Gilson, Ariens, and the start of a Snowbird page.
No such pages exist for any other brands yet..

Scot

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page