Ariens out of box experience from snow blower direct. - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 63 Old 11-22-2011, 08:53 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Ariens out of box experience from snow blower direct.

Good new and bad news, first the Ariens 30" Platinum arrived today, about a week early. It arrived with the box in excellent condition and R&L the shipping company was wonderful (very cooperative) to do business with.

Then the nit picking starts, the two bolts that hold the chute in place were missing. I called Ariens and tech support told me they were 5/16" x 1.75" NC, they are not, the two bolts are 3/8.

Of course Lowes does not sell 3/8 x 1.75 so the 2" long bolts do work.

It took a while to work out the chute turning control. The direction are abysmal. The directions also tell you to put the snow blower in service position. Then the oil fill stick was not tight so all the oil runs out. If you are not going to tighten that, at least tell me to check it before "assuming the position".

The assembly directions are full of meaningless important warnings like: "Be careful not to damage the cable spring hooks when the rotating the handle bar upward." Ok, what is a "cable spring hook" what does it look like? Where is it located and what would it look like if it is or is not damaged?

Did I mention that I have a large unattractive sticker in 19 languages telling me not to catch any of my vital bit in the auger?

How is it that when I go to the Ariens website and down load a quick set up for my year and model the photos don't match my year and model?

The assembly instructions frequently refer you to one page or another in the manual for details that you must check and when you do the illustrations in the manual are not the same as the model you own. For example I know how to firm up the chute swivel by tightening up the nut under the spring. Fine my model is not like that and my chute flops all over the place and I don't know how to fix it. (Ariens support closes at 4:30 pm)

Then the directions were just flat out wrong for the drift cutters showing the wrong bolt in the slotted hole. I worked it out but how about some accurate, useful directions for anything?

Then I purchased Ariens non abrasive skid shoes for my Ariens snow blower, the new shoes don't come with bolts and the OE bolts will not work because they are too short to work with the thicker non abrasive skid shoes. How hard would it be to ship these with 4 longer bolts?

Would you believe the Briggs & Stratton operators manual does not tell you where the engine SN and model is? (I know it is on the cylinder head, I found it on my own.) Does this motor have an air filter? That and whole lot of useful stuff just is not included in the Briggs & Stratton operators manual. It might be nice to know where the air filter is, the part number and how to clean or replace it?

I have not started on the weight kit or deluxe snow blower cab. I purchased tire chains but pray I will not need them.

Maybe for a retail small engine shop whose mechanic who preps 2 every hour this is easy. But for a do-it-your-selfer it was a lot harder that it needs to be; mostly because of very poor and incomplete instructions.

The engine did start on the second pull and long term this should all work out. But Ariens has a lot of work to do on their out-of-box customer experience.

Last edited by Buford; 11-22-2011 at 08:57 PM. Reason: additional info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 63 Old 11-23-2011, 05:50 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 196
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 250
Sorry to hear about all your problems. Only think I can do to help is tell you that most snow engines do not have air filters. The cold and snowy air in the winter doesn't have all the dust and dirt blowing around like summer does. Also so melting on the air filter can freeze solid and choke your engine out. And that is why you shouldn't use your snowblower to pick up leaves
post #3 of 63 Old 11-23-2011, 07:55 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 553
Thanks (Received): 234
Likes (Given): 584
Likes (Received): 604
Sounds like you can give yourself a big pat on the back for getting it put together despite problems!

Not that I'm defending Ariens, or any other manufacturer, but given the number of different models and their variants, together with the product liability issues these companies have to deal with, it really is a wonder they are able to put together a usable manual that isn't bigger than the box the machine comes in! As you noted, there are warnings galore, and actually very little to do with the operation and maintenance when you come right down to it.

Like Shryp said, winter engines don't have air filters on them. Being winter, dust is not the consideration it is in summer months, but snow and freezing condensation on the element that would effect the engine's ability to run is.
post #4 of 63 Old 11-24-2011, 09:23 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Ariens out-of-box experience

You need to contact the robots that built and packaged the machine. The real-live-people are too busy counting the "beans" that were made on the sale of this snowblower!! Thank God for good-old-fashioned ingenuity or we would never get anything to work properly. Just my two cents worth, (or, adjusted for inflation:$200.00) These forums are a real savior to those of us who like the way things work and how to keep them that way! HAPPY THANKSGIVING!! Jack
post #5 of 63 Old 11-30-2011, 03:41 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
A strange thing happens with putting on the "universal" snow cab. I guess if you have a narrow snow blower the mounting brackets that attach the snow cab frame to the handles will stick out sideways like ears.

The wider the unit the mounting brackets must rotate forward to be narrow enough to fit the descending snow cab frame. I don't know if the cab can be made to fit a 36" or wider unit?

When I called the manufacture and said "It doesn't look like the photo in the assembly manual" I was told: "It is an official Ariens accessory but it is a universal product to fit all makes, models and sizes and some field adjustments may be necessary." Ya think?

I took a few photos, put them in my album. It may be helpful for others considering a Ariens snow cab, with the caveat: "some field adjustments may be necessary."
post #6 of 63 Old 11-30-2011, 12:39 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Received): 1
I looked at your pictures and see what you mean about "ears" ........ I think your machine looks great. Maybe Ariens was figuring on aerodynamics when they designed the cab
post #7 of 63 Old 11-30-2011, 07:15 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
As a new guy and I can be dumb about some things. This is the first time I ever setup a new snow blower. I guess it stands to reason, some reason, any reason that if no snow blowers have air filters. It must be because someone knows something I don't.

I am very active in a car club. One day we all gathered for a dyno day and my car was the only new model year with very significant engine changes. We futz around to see if modifying the intake would make any HP. For a short time on the inside of a clean, I made one or WOT dyno runs sans air filter. I only use Mobil one oil and every oil change has its own oil analysis. My next three ail changes indicated high % Si. My wear metals shot up for the next 15k miles because I ran with out an air filter for 5 minutes, after that I learned a valuable lesson.

I may not want air filter problems but airplanes at 35,000 feet, tanks in Siberia, trucks in the Baja all use air filter systems. It should not be all that difficult to devise a reliable air filter for a snow blower, and if the filter lasts 15 years because it is not necessary that is even better. Just run the air through an air centrifuge, some bull dozers, agricultural equipment use them as a pre air filter to at least keep out the big stuff.

I did want to thank each and every one who answered my initial post with new information, that is very helpful and I am very grateful.
post #8 of 63 Old 12-01-2011, 07:55 AM

Post Thanks / Like
I have used clone engines on snowblowers and so far the air filters haven't caused any problems. I always tell myself I'll remove it if I have problems and so far I haven't. In Ohio we don't get the super wet stuff they get on the east coast nor do we get the super cold and wind they get north and west of here.
post #9 of 63 Old 12-01-2011, 09:59 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thank you for the helpful report of your personal experience.

Airplanes and autos can have problems with carburetor icing at low temps. As the gasoline evaporates it chills the air and can potentially freeze the carburetor/choke controls in place.

That has never happened to me in 58 years even when I have physically isolated the carburetor/ MAF from warm air and/or warm coolant for a performance increase. It could be dangerous when it happens when one is trying to land an airplane. I am guessing I could still operate a snow blower safely if the throttle plate froze in place.

I could still "land" my snow blower.
post #10 of 63 Old 12-01-2011, 10:19 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Snowblowers generally have a "heater box" in place of the air filter. It covers the carb and part of the muffler. This is suppose to prevent freezing.

If your throttle ever does stick wide open turn the engine off immediately
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page