LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 09-24-2016, 12:43 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Need help choosing

Hello, I've been in the market for a newer snowblower this upcoming season and I'm having a tough time deciding. I currently own a 06 hs 724 track. I love the machine but it's 16.5 auger height isn't enough for my needs anymore. I have been looking into a HSS 928 wheel model but don't like what I've been reading. Seems they aren't the same animals as the previous generation. So I've narrowed my choices down to two models. A Honda HSS 928 or a Simplicity p1728e. Would like to stay in the 28inch range. Normally I would be all over the Honda as I'm a huge Honda fan but don't want to buy a dog either. Hydro driveisn't a complete deal breaker although I have come to enjoy it over the years. Only thing I'm unsure of on the pro is the Briggs. Thanks for the help guys. I need to decide pretty soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 09-24-2016, 07:50 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 103
Thanks (Received): 375
Likes (Given): 466
Likes (Received): 477
You can add an extension to the auger housing and get 22-26...? auger intake height. You can also upgrade the engine to a GX270(9hp) if you feel you'll need more power, this way you can keep you trusty hydrostatic Honda.
post #3 of 11 Old 09-24-2016, 09:49 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I could see doing the extension but the motor would be way more then I would want to spend. I'm debating just keeping the Honda and buying the simplicity for the bigger snows we get where I'll need the extra power. Any opinions on that machine and anything else I should consider instead? The local dealer tried to tell me they are the best on the market..
post #4 of 11 Old 09-24-2016, 04:02 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 12
Thanks (Received): 38
Likes (Given): 11
Likes (Received): 63
Honda may be the best on the market but not the best for you, nothing wrong with having a snowblower or 2 or 3...

post #5 of 11 Old 09-24-2016, 08:37 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
That's right stromr. Bought the 1728 and plan on keeping the 724. Would have loved a new HSS but no gonna risk it.
post #6 of 11 Old 09-25-2016, 07:13 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 124
Likes (Given): 78
Likes (Received): 167
I personally would go with a new tracked model if you are going to go Honda. The price difference if you are spending that kinda money between the 28 going up to 32 inch (a significantly more powerful machine than the 28" model) if you have the need for such a big unit it will give you a lot more bang for your buck just my humble opinion.

Regarding 28 inch wheeled units, would be hard to beat the Ariens 28 inch Pro series you can get the Friction drive model for about $2200. USD or the Hydro trans for about $2500. (At least in this area). The Simplicity Signature Pro series is nice, but this machine will give you more power without the worries of an electric chute, that based on many reviews seems to be an issue with Simplicitys across their model line up.

Best of luck on your search.

Ariens Platinum 24 SHO w/369cc carbureted LCT motor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Cardo111; 09-25-2016 at 10:57 AM.
post #7 of 11 Old 09-25-2016, 12:37 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Money is not the issue really. It's more what I need and the space I need to store it in. I didn't see the 1332 in person but the dealer had a Ariens pro 32 on the floor and a signature pro 2132 and I thought they were to big. Had my heart set on the hydro pro 28 wheel unit with the new bars until I looked at it in person and wheeled it around. Gotta be honest I hated the controls. I'm sure it's sufficient but everything felt cheap to me. The unit as a whole felt really long which I didn't care for. The only thing I don't like about the simplicity is it's only 16.50 ft lbs instead of the 21 on the hydro pro. The dealer said Ariens needs the extra power due to impeller size. Claimed they will be very comparable. Also had the concern about the elec chute controls and the dealer said they have replaced one in 5 years or so. I haven't wrote the check yet so keep throwing opinions in if you feel the need to. Thanks guys.
post #8 of 11 Old 09-25-2016, 12:48 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Should also note, the local Honda dealer is under new ownership and doesn't seem the best to deal with. They have a hard time returning calls. That along with the HSS issues is turning me off. The Ariens/Simplicity dealer seem good to deal with and are close to home.
post #9 of 11 Old 09-25-2016, 02:00 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 124
Likes (Given): 78
Likes (Received): 167
Understood, the Ariens Pro I looked at last year was nice but the bucket height was very high and I liked the view over the machine better with the shorter bucket height Platinum series. If you are over 5'10" this probably wouldn't be an issue. Additionally for the amount of snow we get here on average it would be hard for me to justify the extra expense of the Pro series.

The Simplicity Signature Pro's are nice heavy duty units and I always liked them. As you said the Ariens Pro has a more powerful engine along with a much bigger fuel tank that would save some time refueling.
Regarding the issues with the electric chute control, which does seem like an awesome feature to have there are quite a few consumer reviews regarding it failing after a couple of years. I would hope Honda's version will prove more reliable. I am not saying your dealer is dishonest but dealers sometimes don't like to disclose any issues if they are selling the machine. My Ariens dealer told me that he never heard of any customers complaining about the Auto-Turn system in Ariens snow blowers. As you may know they revised the axle position this year to help prevent any issues with Auto-Turn.

If you have a dealer you can trust for service that is important. If you had to contact the company directly, I think you would notice a big difference in the quality of customer support you will get from Ariens over Briggs & Stratton. However at the end of the day you are the one that has to feel comfortable with the machine you choose. That is why it is always a good idea to look at it first hand and play around with it a bit as you have done, before putting your money on the table.

All the best.

Ariens Platinum 24 SHO w/369cc carbureted LCT motor

Last edited by Cardo111; 09-25-2016 at 02:54 PM.
post #10 of 11 Old 09-25-2016, 10:03 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Would I be giving up that much power with the simplicity over the Ariens. I know on paper it looks like a lot but in the real world and with the power boost of the simplicity is it gonna be noticeable. I sort of wanted a ripper and don't wanna be letdown or be underpowered. Don't know why simplicity just doesn't leave the power alone on that model.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page