post #1 of 10 Old 09-26-2016, 05:37 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Help Choose new 24" blower

Hi all,

In the process of researching and looking at purchasing a 24" snow blower. I think I've pretty well narrowed it down to the Ariens 24" sho or a honda hs724 track model. The Honda is a 2014-2015 model left over brand new for $1750, and I have seen the Ariens SHO for around $1500 new around the area. I live in WI, 3 car driveway, roughly 2 cars long, and some sidewalk and back pation to clear. I pretty much need to stick with the 24" as I don't have room in garage for anything larger to be able to get out without moving the truck. Also, EOD will the SHO do better than the honda with the extra cc's?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 09-26-2016, 06:01 PM

Location: nova scotia-south shore - ave annual snowfall 199.4 cm ( 78.5 ")
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 73
Thanks (Received): 157
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 591
Garage
i think the sho is the better choice for your situation, no clue on the stats of both machines, but i do believe the sho will get the job done quicker. With that being said.....for the extra $250.....the honda sure would be more than tempting !!

24 " 1967? Ariens Sno thro
28 " Ariens Sno Tek
Toro CCR ss
1966 Gravely LI Walk behind with dog eater

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 Old 09-26-2016, 06:15 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Bad thing about the Honda is the intake height is only 16.5". I have one and it's a killer but the low height gets annoying. Eod it will handle it fine. Will just take longer.
post #4 of 10 Old 09-26-2016, 06:17 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 55
Thanks (Received): 43
Likes (Given): 204
Likes (Received): 123
Garage
I looked at both these machines on paper, never having used a snowblower. I almost bought the Ariens Platinum SHO 24 with electronic fuel injection for $1799. It has a huge engine for such a small snowblower! The MovingSnow website thinks quite highly of it. I went ahead and bought the Honda 928 just because of the engineering and precision of Honda's in general. Their engines run smoothly and are well-thought of in the construction industry. Almost all of the rental equipment is using Honda engines. A mechanic here on this site wrote highly of the Honda's as well.

I think the Ariens Platinum SHO 24 is a powerhouse and Moving snow compared it to "Bringing a gun to a knife fight."
The electronic fuel injection has been tested by Ariens on their lawn equipment for years. It is supposed to be a very good machine. I came very close to buying one, but the mechanic's article here convinced me to buy the Honda.

Honda is famous for it's longevity. Their engineering is arguably the best in the world. (For instance, the Honda has a small brass thumbscrew at the bottom of the carb with a spout to drain it on my 928. Look at Gallery for a photo) That's a really good price on the HS724! They are selling the same model here for $2199. The engine on the 724 is smaller,196cc vs 369cc, and you will not simply not have the same power at the EOD.
That's all I can give you, just looking at the machines specs on paper. I am sure that the pros here who have actual experience with these machines can give a more thorough answer about the machines performance during heavy snows.

Last edited by Miles; 09-26-2016 at 08:50 PM.
post #5 of 10 Old 09-26-2016, 08:21 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 12
Thanks (Received): 38
Likes (Given): 11
Likes (Received): 63
Smile Welcome Aboard!

I'd love a track drive snowblower just for the coolness factor but unless you have some rough ground or steep inclines you just don't need it. A wheeled Honda or an Ariens SHO fuel injection are probably close in money. If you get snows of 12+ inches overnight and end of driveway mountains left by Mr. Snowplow the Ariens SHO (super high output) will just get thru it faster. Also the fuel injection eliminates fuel worries. Still in general, the Honda is the holy grail of snowblowers for a lot of people. I'm surprised Honda hasn't gone to fuel injection but they are a very conservative company sometimes and stick with what works. As much as I like Paul @ MovingSnow.com I don't think I've ever seen him test any Hondas.
For me with a career spent on motorcycles it was either Honda or Husqvarna because we don't get Yamaha here anymore. I went with Husky because I like to be different.

Last edited by stromr; 09-26-2016 at 08:25 PM.
post #6 of 10 Old 09-28-2016, 08:33 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 26
Thanks (Received): 13
Likes (Given): 24
Likes (Received): 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by stromr View Post

I'd love a track drive snowblower just for the coolness factor but unless you have some rough ground or steep inclines you just don't need it. A wheeled Honda or an Ariens SHO fuel injection are probably close in money. If you get snows of 12+ inches overnight and end of driveway mountains left by Mr. Snowplow the Ariens SHO (super high output) will just get thru it faster. Also the fuel injection eliminates fuel worries. Still in general, the Honda is the holy grail of snowblowers for a lot of people. I'm surprised Honda hasn't gone to fuel injection but they are a very conservative company sometimes and stick with what works. As much as I like Paul @ MovingSnow.com I don't think I've ever seen him test any Hondas.
For me with a career spent on motorcycles it was either Honda or Husqvarna because we don't get Yamaha here anymore. I went with Husky because I like to be different.
According to Paul @ MovingSnow.com, he doesn't review Honda's solely due to price. He credits them with producing an outstanding array of machines, with the best engines anywhere. They just charge bunch for them, and their power/price ratio isn't competitive with most other brands.

I'm also acquiring the Ariens EFI Platinum 24 SHO (two weeks out - they keep assuring me). Here in MA, we usually get wet snow that quickly compacts into crud and ice. We also get a lot of it (over 9 feet 2 years ago). The EOD stuff can be especially nasty - lots of ice. A smaller engine won't have the oomph I'm looking for. Some machines (MTD's, like Club Cadet) go through shear pins in droves when dealing with our mess.

Hence, for me, big power is essential. The Ariens 24 SHO, at 369cc, brings monster power. They tell me the EFI feature also ensures steady power delivery (no loss of RPM when you hit the EOD crud), while reducing gas consumption. Also, no worries about less fresh gas, and cleaning carburators.

I admire Honda whenever I see their gear. Just bought a Honda lawnmower, and I love it. But, nothing replaces raw muscle.
post #7 of 10 Old 09-28-2016, 10:29 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 46
Thanks (Received): 35
Likes (Given): 81
Likes (Received): 61
People who haven't used a track machine don't appreciate how much better it is with EOD. My Honda track machine does not tend to climb EOD like my old wheeled machine did. That combined with the hydro transmission -- and it just powers straight into the packed bank if you keep it slow enough to let the auger teeth cut. No need to push or pull as much either -- it does much more of the work for you. Much easier on your back and shoulders/forearms/chest muscles. I used to struggle to continuously lift the handles on my wheeled NOMA (to keep it from climbing) even though I weighted the front of the machine with an extra 25 pounds. I don't ever need to lift my tracked Honda. Deep snow might take a little longer to clear than the Ariens with the larger engine, but even though you'll need to move slower you won't be as tired, when you're done (IMHO). With the size of the OP's driveway (3 cars wide x 2 long) the extra time won't be more than a few more minutes.

Last edited by SnowG; 09-28-2016 at 10:33 PM.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks Miles thanked for this post
post #8 of 10 Old 09-28-2016, 11:13 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 82
Likes (Given): 56
Likes (Received): 249
That is a good thought there on advantage of track machine
post #9 of 10 Old 09-30-2016, 05:09 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 124
Likes (Given): 78
Likes (Received): 167
I agree with Strato and also own some Honda products and am happy with them. Additionally some users have expressed that the previous generation Honda tracked models can be a bear to turn. Which may or may not be an issue for you. When working a formidable EOD plow pile the extra cc's really prove their worth. This is where an underpowered machine will have you feeling buyer's remorse.

I am a big Ariens fan and for my needs their machines are a good fit. If I were in the market for a tracked model at the $2500.+ price point Honda's tracked machines are hard to beat especially the HSS1332 essentially the chief of our tribe.

Best of luck on your search!

Ariens Platinum 24 SHO w/369cc carbureted LCT motor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 10 Old 09-30-2016, 06:50 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 46
Thanks (Received): 35
Likes (Given): 81
Likes (Received): 61
Yes my 2015 generation HS928TAS is harder to turn. It's really not a problem though, unless I try to do it standing still. If I need to pivot in a small radius I try to keep it moving even if I need to work it back and forth while turning. That's easy to do with the Hydro drive because it's easy to go ultra slow and there's no letting up on the drive clutch while going between forward-reverse.

It's a matter of technique. but that issue has been eliminated in the newer 2016+ machines.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page