Help...GIL-447E & GIL-489C both no reverse? - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 09-27-2016, 11:28 AM Thread Starter
GAR

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 63
Thanks (Received): 18
Likes (Given): 245
Likes (Received): 149
Garage
Help...GIL-447E & GIL-489C both no reverse?

I picked up a 71 Gil-477E with Hi-Low gear and what I think is a FOOTE trans and a Gil 489c with no Hi-Low but same trans......Both these machine have me stumped on why they will no go into reverse. Anyone with experience working on these machines please help. I have played with the linkage, with no luck. I have never taken one of these trans apart....is it just sticking inside trans on both machine or are these trans known for losing reverse?

These are great old machine and both run great other than not having reverse. (this picture shows only the Gil-447e) thanks in advance for any help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	168.5 KB
ID:	89777  

Last edited by GAR; 09-27-2016 at 11:20 PM. Reason: Correcting my post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-27-2016, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
GAR

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
I have been reading up about this FOOTE trans on the Gilsonsnowblowershop webpage. (This is the the same trans box I have in both the blowers) I am working on...I have yet to pull one of the trans to look for damage due to the fact I am having a hard time believing both blowers have the same problem. It has to be something easy, or something I am not doing right (user error)... I hope.... I know there is someone that knows a lot more then me on this site about this vintage stuff. Please inform me and help me with my stupid lack of knowledge and tell me what to do...I have a lot of time put into both these machines, I hate that I can't figure this problem out.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	19
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	89793  
post #3 of 7 Old 09-27-2016, 04:48 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 16
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 20
The engagement ramps, or dogs, on the gears in those transmission are notorious for rapidly wearing if abused. They often bench test ok, but out of the five that I've come across, only 2 would stay engaged in both directions under power.
post #4 of 7 Old 09-27-2016, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
GAR

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Well, I guess I will pull one out tomorrow and see if I can spot any obvious wear and tear...I am hoping it is something easy to spot...And something that can be fixed, parts for things like this can't be easy to find. I can't believe I have two with the same problem...Uggggg
post #5 of 7 Old 09-27-2016, 08:59 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 40
Likes (Given): 10
With regard to something simple forgive me for stating that they are dead man reverses, meaning you do need to hold the lever up firmly to engage and remain in reverse. The schematics can be found here.

Ideally the drive belt is disengaged (left lever) when shifting. Personally I'll confess that I just shift deliberately after the machine has come to a stop. You do not want to be throwing loaded torque reversals at it. Also if reverse in particular is not held firmly the engaging dogs can float then slip and you will wear the features down. Those gears are rare and expensive. If you have access to a milling machine it is possible to re-cut the faces.

It is also possible that the grease has become so crusty it is blocking things, see here.

Another fairly benign possibility is a worn or damaged fork. See here.

Let us know what you find and you're welcome to email me anytime. Please don't PM me here on the board.

Still another possibility is that the reverse sides of the 2 speed jack shaft cog castings have been shattered or are not positively engaging and happen to slip in reverse.. they are replaceable.

Also GIL-447E is not a valid model, GIL-477E perhaps?

Pete
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Foote1543BeforeRecut.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	240.8 KB
ID:	89801   Click image for larger version

Name:	Foote1543Recut.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	151.6 KB
ID:	89809  

Last edited by Spectrum; 09-27-2016 at 09:06 PM. Reason: Add pictures and extend comments
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks GAR thanked for this post
Likes GAR liked this post
post #6 of 7 Old 09-27-2016, 11:19 PM Thread Starter
GAR

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Thank you very much for this information, I am learning about all this stuff as I go. I have owned a number of Gilsons but never had one with a Hi-Low gear...Love this thing. I own and work on these things as a hobby, I tell the wife...You like doing puzzles and I like tinkering around in the garage. Anyways, yes I knew about having to pull the lever back firmly to go into reverse, never heard it called "dead mans reverse" I like that.

As of the GIL-447E....That was my mistake wile posting, it is the GIL-477E. I Posted the picture of the tag in this tread and still wrote it wrong...LOL.

I'll be pulling both Foote trans tomorrow and am preying it's just crusted grease. Again thanks for the information, I would not be able to do what I have done in the last couple of years without this site and the very knowledgable people like yourself that have helped me out. Kudos to you sir!
post #7 of 7 Old 09-28-2016, 12:32 PM Thread Starter
GAR

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Got the first one out and taken apart.....Yep, broken shifter fork. Gears look good with very little wear on them. The grease has hardened up a little, I cleaned one of the gears up to inspect. The shifter fork looks like I may be able to repair it. And yes I am aware I can buy a new shifter fork.

I will pull the other Foote from the GIL-489C and see if it's the same issue causing no reverse. I may be able to use parts and make one good one out of the two. I am now looking to only get one of these machines running correctly and save the other motor and body for parts as I work on these type machines a lot.

As appreciation for your help I will gladly mail you the extra gears and any other parts from the Foote gearbox (for free) that are still good condition if your interested. The help I have received from the snowblowerfourms and the gilsonsnowblower.com has been amazing and if I can help you continue helping other then that's my payback.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	16
Size:	258.5 KB
ID:	89841  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page