LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 Old 09-29-2016, 10:00 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 5
Likes (Given): 4
Likes (Received): 4
Question 93 Octane Ethanol free gas

Here we go again. The more I study this forum the more confused I get.
A local gas station now sells 93 octane ethanol free gasoline. This brings up a few questions.

1. Do I still need to add a stabilizer (treatment) to ethanol free gas? I plan to strictly use this gas in my new snowblower.

2. Does using ethanol free gas change whether I should drain the tank and carburetor during the summer? The dealer recommended to close the fuel valve and run the carburetor dry after each run. They filled the tank with 91 octane 10% ethanol gas with stabilizer.

3. My lawn tractor has a plastic fuel tank, the push mower and snowblower have metal. Does summer and winter storage differ in metal as with plastic?

4. And lastly. Can I use the ethanol free gas with mixture in 2 cycle engines? ( string trimmer and leaf blower).

Toro Power Max HD 826 OXE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 09-29-2016, 10:27 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 55
Thanks (Received): 42
Likes (Given): 198
Likes (Received): 123
Garage
These are good questions and I have wondered how people store their machines here. I've had problems storing stabilized ethanol gas in a generator and needed carb work. I have not had any problems storing stabilized ethanol gas in a lawn tractor over the winter for 4 years now. I add double the stabilizer and fill up the tank. It has always fired up in the spring so far. This year I will drain the tank, add some trufuel (ethanol free gas) and run it dry.

I am thinking that using ethanol free gas (Trufuel) in the new snowblower is the right approach. I want to fill the tank at the first snow and then keep the tank filled throughout the snow season. Keeping the tank filled keeps less oxygen from interacting with the fuel. (It is oxygen that causes breakdown of some components in a process called oxidation.) I will use the fuel shut-off valve and drain the carb after each use. In the spring, I shut off the fuel, run dry, then drain the tank and the carb. I hope this is okay. I am new to this too.

I don't see how it would hurt to add stabilizer to your premium ethanol-free fuel. I don't know if it is necessary though. In the old days, we never used stabilizer. I'm aware now that gasoline is a blend of different components. The big problem with ethanol gas is that ethanol separates from the gas and also attracts water. So a big pool of watery ethanol is left in the bottom of the tank near the pick-up.

Yes, you can use ethanol-free gas with mix in 2-cycle

Here is an excellent post from SnowG found in this thread:First time snowblower buyer/operator - need advice (Multi-page thread 1 2) Look under new posts-last 2 days.
Because your machine might go long periods without use, I strongly recommend TruFuel instead of ethanol. It will keep your fuel system from gumming up in storage and it remains stable at least 2 years, compared with treated ethanol (which is only good for 30-60 days). I have no financial interest in that company -- I just like my stuff to work when I need it.

The following images are ethanol that was stored in a properly closed gas tank in an open boat for 60 days, and had been treated with Stabil360 ethanol fuel stabilizer at the time of purchase. The first picture shows it looked cloudy when siphoning it.

Report this image

The second picture shows what it looked like after settling for a few hours. I think they call this "phase separation" and I assume the stuff on the top is gasoline and the stuff on the bottom is a mix of water and alcohol and perhaps other chemicals. Not suitable for use, regardless of what it is.

Report this image

Last edited by Miles; 10-01-2016 at 08:26 AM.
post #3 of 33 Old 09-29-2016, 08:53 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 14
Likes (Given): 5
Likes (Received): 52
If you calculate the price of Tru Fuel on a per gallon basis, it's like liquid gold. Buy E0 from a gas station. Here's a link to stations by state:

Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada
post #4 of 33 Old 09-29-2016, 10:29 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Thanks for the info about the non-ethanol gas, CO Snow.
post #5 of 33 Old 09-30-2016, 10:22 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 46
Thanks (Received): 35
Likes (Given): 81
Likes (Received): 61
Miles -- that was my post you referenced, and the original (with images) is here https://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum/1036209-post3.html
post #6 of 33 Old 10-01-2016, 08:27 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Thanks, SnowG. My apologies for misrepresenting the quote. I have fixed the attribution. It is fine work and shows exactly why the ethanol gas causes problems.
post #7 of 33 Old 10-01-2016, 03:13 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 53
Likes (Given): 105
Likes (Received): 72
You can buy a gallon of True Fuel or one of their competitors for around $20/gallon plus or minus a dollar.

I think True fuel is great but you decide if it is worth the convenience.

If you get no-ethanol gas locally you should still use some type of stabilizer. Unless you are going to use it up fast. It is just good insurance against water condensation.

You can use the 93 octane in your two cycle OPE. Many 2 cycle mfg are now recommending 89 octane or higher. Some 2 cyce Manufacterers are private labeling a True Fuel type of product and it is 93 or 94 octain. Husqarvarna is one. Also, Some of the cheaper fuel line used on 2 cycle OPE is degraded quicker by ehtanol.

I use True fuel in my 2 Cycle OPE for the convenience. I use one can a year for about $6 and that covers me.
I don't think it is worth it for me in my 4 cycle machines. I just buy E0 gas or buy in small quantities and stabilize.

It is good to understand the pro and cons and everyone can decide what is best for them.
post #8 of 33 Old 10-01-2016, 05:47 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 82
Likes (Given): 56
Likes (Received): 249
$20.00 a gallon!? GOOD GRIEF! I go though 5-8 gallons a season in my blower..
post #9 of 33 Old 10-01-2016, 06:28 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 14
Likes (Given): 5
Likes (Received): 52
I only use E0 in the snow blower (stabilized plus Sea Foam) including for summer storage. I get it from the pump with a cost not much more than regular unleaded E10. I feel like it is cheap insurance and knock on wood, I've never had a carb or starting problem in any of my OPE.

I don't use it during the mowing season with my riding mower but will use it before it's stored for the winter.
post #10 of 33 Old 10-01-2016, 09:56 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 46
Thanks (Received): 35
Likes (Given): 81
Likes (Received): 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBlowSnow View Post
$20.00 a gallon!? GOOD GRIEF! I go though 5-8 gallons a season in my blower..
If you go through that much gas in your snowthrower than you don't need to worry as much about stability. Those of us who only get occasional use need to be a lot more concerned, and it's worth it not to have fuel system problems, IMHO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page