LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 09-29-2016, 12:29 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 0
How much power? Can I have too much?

Hi all, new member here. Hopefully you all can give me some advice - this is finally the year I buy a new snowblower. I'm used to a 24 inch machine, and don't really need (or want) to go much wider. At that size I'm looking at the Ariens Deluxe 24 or Platinum 24 SHO, but I'm not sure how power I need. The SHO looks like a beast, and I'm wondering if its worth it to spend the extra $$. A lot of our snows tend to be wet and heavy, and I'm mostly concerned with getting through the mounds of crud the plows leave in front of the driveway and on the sidewalks. I don't need the longest throwing distance possible, but I want to get through that heavy wet stuff without overloading the machine. I don't spending the extra money but want it to be worth it.

I'm open to other suggestions anyone has as well. Thanks in advance for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 09-29-2016, 12:33 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 94
Thanks (Received): 84
Likes (Given): 219
Likes (Received): 134
Gerry, welcome aboard! I suspect you'd be just fine with the 24" Deluxe. Isn't there quite a spread between the Platinum and the Deluxe now? There's also a Compact, I believe, and I think the Snow Tek still exists. Both are inexpensive solutions for NJ.

2014 Ariens 21" Path Pro 938030
2015 Ariens 24" SHO 921038 | poly skids
post #3 of 15 Old 09-29-2016, 12:43 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Yes, there's a $400 - $500 difference to step up to the SHO. One of the guys down the street has a Compact 24, and he struggles with it - it bogs down with some of the wet snow and he has a hard time with the end of his driveway - no sidewalk on his side of the street. That's really why I wanted to step up in power, I just don't know how much of a step up is enough.
post #4 of 15 Old 09-29-2016, 12:51 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 94
Thanks (Received): 84
Likes (Given): 219
Likes (Received): 134
Based on my experience with these Ariens, I think you'd want 13 - 15 ft*lbs of torque. I suspect that would do what you want/need.

Don't get me wrong, I've said many a time that you can never have too much power, but I think the new, fuel-injected 24" SHO is getting very rich in terms of pricing...

2014 Ariens 21" Path Pro 938030
2015 Ariens 24" SHO 921038 | poly skids
post #5 of 15 Old 09-29-2016, 12:53 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 103
Thanks (Received): 375
Likes (Given): 466
Likes (Received): 477
I'd get the Platinum SHO if you get a lot of wet snow.
When the other blowers may struggle with the heavy EOD piles of wet snow you may be smiling at the additional power that you have on your snowblower. I think in your case it will be well worth spending the extra $. It is a long time investment and you want to be happy with it.
post #6 of 15 Old 09-29-2016, 01:12 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 55
Thanks (Received): 43
Likes (Given): 206
Likes (Received): 123
Garage
I agree with the Platinum SHO EFI, it is a bit more expensive, but think about the extra cost over 10 years. I like the fact that you don't have to worry about a carb getting clogged up. It will need a small battery every couple of years, but besides changing the oil, that's it. The extra power of the 369 cc motor will be felt at the EOD especially with a 24.
post #7 of 15 Old 09-29-2016, 01:20 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 103
Thanks (Received): 375
Likes (Given): 466
Likes (Received): 477
I think that an Ariens Platinum SHO is the snowblower that has the largest power per inch in the market. EFI is also a big plus IMHO.
post #8 of 15 Old 09-29-2016, 01:44 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks guys. I was leaning towards the SHO, just didn't want to waste extra money unnecessarily. Better to have the power if/when I need it I guess. This is a blower that I expect to keep for a long time, so I don't want to regret buying something too small.
post #9 of 15 Old 09-29-2016, 04:17 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 12
Thanks (Received): 38
Likes (Given): 11
Likes (Received): 63
Smile Welcome Aboard!

I'd go for the Platinum 24 SHO with EFI. It has an efficiency mode that runs quiet and uses less fuel at a slightly lower RPM. When in power mode it speeds up and handles the heavy wet snow or end of driveway snow easily. It's a win-win situation.

post #10 of 15 Old 09-29-2016, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
That's a nice feature - I'll have to see if I want to spend more again for the EFI.

Any concerns I should have with the AutoTurn? None of the machines I've used in the past have had steering control, so I'm not sure what to expect. We have some s-shaped walks and curved sidewalk - would it be hard to control on that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page