Please help recommend/choose a blower for a newbie! - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 Old 09-29-2016, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
LKS

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Please help recommend/choose a blower for a newbie!

Hello,

I would appreciate recommendations on which snow blower to buy as I've never owned (or used) one before. I don't want a 'monster' but no point in spending $1000 to find it is underpowered.

Female, 5'6, athletic but a lightweight Live in Annapolis MD. Paved driveway, gently sloped, maybe 100' long, widens from 1.5 car width to 3 car width. Also paved walkway, about 3 feet wide by maybe 100-150'.

I was thinking maybe the Toro snowmaster 24" 824 QXE, or the Craftsman 26" Quiet 88694 or the Craftsman 28" Quiet 88394. I chose those because they sound easy to use/steer. I also thought maybe the Ariens 24" deluxe since so many people have positive things to say about Ariens, but somehow reviews made it sound harder to steer and I don't have the strength to muscle a machine in the direction I want to go.

What width is recommended? Of the machines listed above, which would you recommend? Are there any I should really be looking at that I have overlooked? Am I in the right range as far as power?

Thanks for any advice you can offer!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 09-29-2016, 08:15 PM

Location: nova scotia-south shore - ave annual snowfall 199.4 cm ( 78.5 ")
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 73
Thanks (Received): 157
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 592
Garage
would stay with your thought of a 24" bucket. depending on your budget ....avoid craftsman, mtd , yard machines etc. go to a dealership that sells and services .....do a test drive! the machines will behave differently in snow, but you will get a feel for what to expect. in all honesty, a modern snow blower is as easy to operate as a lawn mower. its more about the little things like making sure there are no objects laying around that could get eaten by the blower causing damage to the machine or a car or a window in your home.

24 " 1967? Ariens Sno thro
28 " Ariens Sno Tek
Toro CCR ss
1966 Gravely LI Walk behind with dog eater

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 26 Old 09-29-2016, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
LKS

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Thank for the reply nwcove. If I should avoid craftsman, mtd, yard machines etc... what brands do you recommend? Is the toro ok? Knowing which dealer (brand) to start with would be helpful - this area is so populated I'm sure we pretty much have all brands represented relatively near by.
post #4 of 26 Old 09-29-2016, 08:40 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 46
Thanks (Received): 35
Likes (Given): 81
Likes (Received): 61
Welcome. I'm going to speak in generalities not specific models or brands. Unless you do your own service, I'd recommend you deal with a local shop that can pick up and deliver for service. You will find such shops who will provide service even if you buy from big box stores, but you'll likely get favored treatment if you buy from them. That's good when you're in a bind and need service now, not next week. These machines often sit without use for months at a time, and today's ethanol fuel goes bad quickly. You can avoid many service issues by using non-ethanol stablized fuel, so look for threads about that to learn more.

Where you live you might get one or two big storms a year, but mostly smaller accumulations of wet heavy snow or maybe not so much at all. Based on size of your driveway, a 28" would be ideal, but you could do just fine with a smaller cut and a lighter machine if you don't mind doing more passes. A smaller machine would also take less space to store.

A single stage machine is lighter and easier to maneuver if the snow isn't deep, and it cleans better down to the pavement, but it doesn't do as well in heavy deep snow or EOD (end of driveway) banks left by the plow. Owners of such machines often deal with this by going out multiple times in a heavy storm so it doesn't build up. In the end you might be happier with a 2stage machine that can handle the heavy stuff better.

As with anything else, there are pros and cons. Others may be able to offer additional advice to help with your decision.
post #5 of 26 Old 09-29-2016, 08:51 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Just to add another thought... I recommend 2-stage because it will handle it all. A single stage machine would be better in shallower and lighter accumulations but I'd rather have that as a second machine.
post #6 of 26 Old 09-29-2016, 09:13 PM

Location: nova scotia-south shore - ave annual snowfall 199.4 cm ( 78.5 ")
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 73
Thanks (Received): 157
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 592
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKS View Post
Thank for the reply nwcove. If I should avoid craftsman, mtd, yard machines etc... what brands do you recommend? Is the toro ok? Knowing which dealer (brand) to start with would be helpful - this area is so populated I'm sure we pretty much have all brands represented relatively near by.
ariens. toro , honda and yamaha are the big 4, the other brands are not bad, but just dont compare for reliability and longevity. of course...thats jmo

24 " 1967? Ariens Sno thro
28 " Ariens Sno Tek
Toro CCR ss
1966 Gravely LI Walk behind with dog eater

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 26 Old 09-29-2016, 10:37 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 12
Thanks (Received): 38
Likes (Given): 11
Likes (Received): 63
Smile Wellcome Aboard!

My stepson lives down in your area. Here's my recommendation for any area with a moderate amount of snow.

The Toro Snowmaster is what I call "a stage and a half", it's a single stage when looking at the auger, no impeller, but has a tall bucket (18") that easily swallows 12-16" high snow. It has (The Personal Pace System) drive wheels like a two stage so you don't have to push it like a single stage. It's 24" wide like a lot of 2 stage machines and it has the Toro Quick Stick for chute adjustment. If most of your snow comes 6-8" at a time with occasional 10-12" it should be perfect. It may be a little bit of a struggle if Ms. Snowplow piles it up at the end of driveway higher than 18" but that's the only drawback I can think of.

By all means go to the Toro store and the Ariens store and notice the physical size difference between the Toro Snowmaster series and everything else. At my age, 68, I'd have one in a heartbeat if I didn't get 150" of snow a year!

You might also want to read some more about this and other machines on the website movingsnow.com

PS: My sources tell me these are selling out fast!

Last edited by stromr; 09-29-2016 at 10:41 PM.
post #8 of 26 Old 09-29-2016, 10:48 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwcove View Post
ariens. toro , honda and yamaha are the big 4, the other brands are not bad, but just dont compare for reliability and longevity. of course...thats jmo
Yamaha isn't distributed in the US.
post #9 of 26 Old 09-29-2016, 11:11 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by stromr View Post
My stepson lives down in your area. Here's my recommendation for any area with a moderate amount of snow.

The Toro Snowmaster is what I call "a stage and a half", it's a single stage when looking at the auger, no impeller, but has a tall bucket (18") that easily swallows 12-16" high snow. It has (The Personal Pace System) drive wheels like a two stage so you don't have to push it like a single stage. It's 24" wide like a lot of 2 stage machines and it has the Toro Quick Stick for chute adjustment. If most of your snow comes 6-8" at a time with occasional 10-12" it should be perfect. It may be a little bit of a struggle if Ms. Snowplow piles it up at the end of driveway higher than 18" but that's the only drawback I can think of.

By all means go to the Toro store and the Ariens store and notice the physical size difference between the Toro Snowmaster series and everything else. At my age, 68, I'd have one in a heartbeat if I didn't get 150" of snow a year!

You might also want to read some more about this and other machines on the website movingsnow.com

PS: My sources tell me these are selling out fast!
I haven't used the Snowmaster, but from looking at those puny wheels and auger style I would not expect that would be a good choice for handling EOD, especially if it is wet/packable snow.
post #10 of 26 Old 09-29-2016, 11:33 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 5
Likes (Given): 4
Likes (Received): 4
Actually the Snowmaster 824 does quite well on EOD piles as long as they aren't monsters and you get to them early. It's balanced well, and the quick stick so easy to use.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page