New guy here. Sell me on a blower vs. ATV. - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 Old 10-03-2016, 12:38 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
New guy here. Sell me on a blower vs. ATV.

Just joined this site after stumbling upon it in my initial research on snowblowers. Looks like a great resource!

This is really a two part question. I've shoveled my driveway, sidewalks, and patios for 8 years. I'm still young (31) and it's not that I'm not up to it, it's just that I want to work smarter, not harder. Couple that with a new child in the home, I don't have as much free time as I used to

Attached is a rough layout with measurements of my driveway (all paved and little grade, btw).

I will also be removing from a lower patio that is about 50' x 25'. Sidewalks will just be shoveled due to accessibility and how quick I can do them with a shovel.

I've never owned a snowblower and I don't live in a snow heavy area (Northcentral PA). Some years we get a decent amount, other years (like last year) I didn't even have to shovel. I hate purchasing an piece of equipment that is so weather dependent, but alas, something you have to do if you want an easier way.

Initially I thought about getting an ATV and a plow because we could use the ATV for other purposes. However, I think the ATV and plow would be overkill, and I would still be stuck shoveling the lower patio because there isn't an easy way to remove snow with a plow from it due to its shape and being flanked on both sides by retaining wall.

So, knowing everyone here is probably bias, why (other than the aforementioned shortcomings), should I pick a blower over a plow?

Second part of the question:

I also tend to overbuy my power equipment. I don't like buying residential grade equipment even if that means buying too much machine. I want to buy once and cry once. So naturally, my first inclination was Honda. I started doing some research and then came here and see a lot of people really like Arien's as well. It seems that everyone swears by hydro static drive. Is it a must have? The Auto Turn on the Arien's comes standard on some of their lower priced models (i.e. $1000-$1800), but you have to go with their Hydro Pro if you want full hydro drive, correct?

Any other brands or specific models I should be looking into? I have dealer support locally from several stores for Arien's which has me leaning that way (as well as Toro).

I appreciate the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 10-03-2016, 03:19 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 55
Thanks (Received): 43
Likes (Given): 204
Likes (Received): 123
Garage
Honestly, the ATV sounds like you could have fun with it as well. I might just go ahead and buy that if you have the storage for it and a place to ride it. I recently bought a Honda HSS928AWD which is wheeled with a battery, but have not used it yet. The top of the line is the Honda HSS1332ATD with tracks and a battery. I have been reading here that tracks really help at the end of the driveway. (Your driveway attachment did not post) The HSS1332 also has an auger protection system which shuts down when a solid object is stuck in the auger. Instead of breaking a shear bolt, your auger stops. Honda has excellent engineering with high quality gears and bearings overall. Its engines are used by the rental places and that tells how how tough they are. Ariens is well-respected and a lot of folks here are buying them.

Buy the ATV for the most bang for the buck! You are young and can shovel the patio and will have a lot of enjoyment from the ATV during the other three seasons. If I had a place to ride and storage space, I might have chosen an ATV as well and used that $2500+ towards the ATV. I'm getting older now and my back bothers me so a snowblower was a necessity this year for the first time.

Last edited by Miles; 10-03-2016 at 03:23 PM.
post #3 of 30 Old 10-03-2016, 04:34 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 83
Likes (Given): 56
Likes (Received): 249
Are you kidding!? ATV all the way!
post #4 of 30 Old 10-03-2016, 05:19 PM

Location: nova scotia-south shore - ave annual snowfall 199.4 cm ( 78.5 ")
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 73
Thanks (Received): 157
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 592
Garage
quote ; Any other brands or specific models I should be looking into? I have dealer support locally from several stores for Arien's which has me leaning that way (as well as Toro).

so you like to " over buy "? well............

24 " 1967? Ariens Sno thro
28 " Ariens Sno Tek
Toro CCR ss
1966 Gravely LI Walk behind with dog eater

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 30 Old 10-03-2016, 05:19 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 213
Thanks (Received): 293
Likes (Given): 1642
Likes (Received): 579
you could get a snowblower attachment for the atv for the bigger area and pick up a new or used Honda or ariens snowblower for the patio, oh and welcome to SBF

current machines
1-toro2450E-38419. 1-toro3000E-38435. 1-toro 3650E-38445
2-toro 521E-38052. 1-toro xl824pt 38086
1-.............,TORO XL 624ps..............
1-............, TORO XL 824ps..............
william
post #6 of 30 Old 10-03-2016, 08:45 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks, everyone. A little surprised at the favor given to the ATV seeing as this is a snowblower forum I had read that snowblowers are favored in larger snows because they don't leave piles on the edge that can make removal in future snows a problem.

Anyways, thanks for the welcome! As for the driveway picture, I'm not allowed to post pictures yet since I haven't reached the required post count.

Sent from my Turbo 2.
post #7 of 30 Old 10-04-2016, 07:34 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 103
Thanks (Received): 375
Likes (Given): 466
Likes (Received): 477
Welcome to the forum.
I'd normally say get a Honda snowblower (Ariens or Toro would be good choices as well), but considering your situation, I'd get an ATV and a SNOWBLOWER attachment for it, this way you have both things that you'll like to have, and you can have fun with it.
post #8 of 30 Old 10-04-2016, 11:05 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 46
Thanks (Received): 35
Likes (Given): 81
Likes (Received): 61
It's hard to give good advice, not knowing how big your driveway is, but maybe an ATV with Snowblower attachment?

North-central PA will get some deep storms, but maybe not frequently. I seriously doubt an ATV with plow would be effective at all in a heavy wet snow deeper than about 7". Even a full sized 4WD truck can have a hard time when it's wet and heavy. (And as you noted, once the banks at the side freeze they impede subsequent removal of additional snow.)
post #9 of 30 Old 10-04-2016, 01:57 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks, everyone. I have to wait until I reach an appropriate amount of posts before I can post links or images.
post #10 of 30 Old 10-04-2016, 03:39 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Likes (Given): 2
At my old place i used an ATV with a plow (52" wide) to push snow down a 200ft driveway (gravel). but i really needed a blower as well as over the winter the driveway shrink in width as eventually the plow will not get the snow over the burm on one side or the other. so i used a smaller blower after i moved the snow with the ATV to blow the snow out into the yard. also used the blower on patio area and such.

now my decision was easy as my father in law kept his ATV at my place for the winters so for the $500 i put the blade kit on, and with a buddy in the industry i was able to purchase a 24" blower on the cheap.

central canada with enough snow but **** cold!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page