LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 10-17-2016, 09:31 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 34
Thanks (Received): 5
Likes (Given): 58
Likes (Received): 31
8HP Briggs vs Techumseh

I'm sure everyone remembers me complaining about how my HMSK-80 runs, and even my dad's HMSK-100 that has never been messed with. I think it's an HMSK-100? If that's the 10HP version.

Anyway, after doing the valve's on m HSMK-80 it runs decent, strong for hours and hours but even with the adjustable carb I put on it, it's never quite right. If it idles for a long time and you blip the throttle you get a puff of black smoke, if I lean it out it hesitates etc. My dad's is the same way, always has been. They idle ok, but not perfect.

Here's the 8HP Briggs from 1992 I've talked about on my generator. It's never been apart or messed with, not even the carb, never had to be.
I've never seen a Tecumseh run like this. It's dead smooth, and very responsive. Never a hint of black smoke or running rich when it goes wide open etc. I had a 1500W load on the generator during this. For that matter, I've rarely seen a Briggs and Stratton run like this, the Vacujet carbs most certainly don't and the Pulsejet weren't great either.

This is been my all time favorite B&S engine for years. I'd love to have one on the Ariens, though without a compression release it does take a bit of oomph to pull the starter.

I keep wanting to convert this over to natural gas, but never have the time or money.

1999 Ariens 924108 824SLE.

1933 GE Monitor Top refrigerator restoration video

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes classiccat liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 10-17-2016, 10:04 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 480
Thanks (Received): 348
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1144
Yeah sure you betcha them Briggs engines got the right rasins in them they are all I ever will use up here in the frozen tundra. those tec engines always proved themselves to be GUTLESS WONDERS oot here in the the frozen tundra.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
Likes ChrisJ liked this post
post #3 of 12 Old 10-17-2016, 11:27 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 177
Thanks (Received): 156
Likes (Given): 1636
Likes (Received): 381
Agree...hearty, well-behaved engines! Tec is like Briggs' spastic cousin.

(go to 2:00 mark)

She'll smoke like crazy if I go full-throttle when cold; i have to replace the exhaust valve guide so she runs for another 40+ years.

('72 Sears 3520)

('89 Toro 824)

('70 Allis-Chalmers Tracker-7)

('80 Toro 724)

('95 Ariens ST724) --> Sold

('71 Ariens 910965 SnoThro 524)
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes ChrisJ, Mike C. liked this post
post #4 of 12 Old 10-17-2016, 11:48 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Here's a video of the generator running without me touching it.
The phone was overloaded by the volume so it sounds kind of off when I'm on the exhaust side, but it's 100% steady. When I move in front of it, it sounds more like it does in person.

A Briggs guy could confirm, but this engine looks like a 1960s design to me that B&S just kept making into the 1990s.

This was a dirt cheap 4KW generator in the early 90s, but it's so reliable it's unreal. It's also so loud it's unreal, but that's another story. My dad bought it to keep the sump pumps running in an emergency. He gave it to me when he bought a much larger Generac a few years ago. I mainly have it for heat and such, my sump pump is dry 99% of the time but if I needed to run it, it'd be there.

I take it out once in awhile, put some gas in it and get it good and hot running a heater as a load and then run it out of gas. I need to do another oil change, I run Mobil 1 extended performance in it and even though it's got very few hours on it I try to keep it fresh.

Last edited by ChrisJ; 10-17-2016 at 11:50 AM.
Likes classiccat liked this post
post #5 of 12 Old 10-17-2016, 08:34 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 5
I always wondered why the old Kohlers weren't in more equipment. I had a few classic deeres and those engines seemed to be smooth and run well over 2k hours.
Likes ChrisJ liked this post
post #6 of 12 Old 10-17-2016, 08:56 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted3g View Post
I always wondered why the old Kohlers weren't in more equipment. I had a few classic deeres and those engines seemed to be smooth and run well over 2k hours.
That one is probably easy, cost.
A 10HP Kohler K series was something like $900 retail in the early 1990s. I remember looking at them in Northern Hydraulic.
post #7 of 12 Old 10-17-2016, 08:58 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 12
Thanks (Received): 38
Likes (Given): 11
Likes (Received): 63
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisJ View Post
That one is probably easy, cost.
A 10HP Kohler K series was something like $900 retail in the early 1990s. I remember looking at them in Northern Hydraulic.

Just like Honda engines, quality costs $$$
post #8 of 12 Old 10-17-2016, 10:54 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 92
Likes (Given): 446
Likes (Received): 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by classiccat View Post
Agree...hearty, well-behaved engines! Tec is like Briggs' spastic cousin.
agreed, every tecumseh i had would always run okay but never the way i wanted them to. for example, i can only get my tecumseh to do a fast idle and even then it sputters and coughs, but with a briggs, i can get the engines idling so low that they are close to stalling, but yet still purr like a kitten with no stuttering and good throttle response, same thing with the clones. tecumsehs are very finicky, and to be quite honest i have never used a tecumseh that i actually loved or even liked, and i just kind of always tolerated them. couldnt agree more about the spastic cousin thing, tecumseh is kind of like that kid with downs(not to offend anyone that has it, i have aspergers myself and have met many people with downs, some are really nice people with a kind caring heart, others seem to have no self respect for themselves, others, or others property) that everybody is afraid of or disgusted by

Last edited by 43128; 10-18-2016 at 01:12 AM.
post #9 of 12 Old 10-18-2016, 01:01 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 9
Growing up in the 70s, used to be push mowers from the 60s and 70s all came with the Briggs 3.0 or 3.5 engines. They were easy to work on! Power equipment I recall back then was a mixture of Tecumseh and Briggs, with the Tecumseh being more finicky. But I grew to enjoy getting the Tecumsehs to run reliably.

Kawasaki: riding mower
Briggs: generator
Tecumseh: snow blower, rototiller, chipper/shredder, cheap push mower (horrible engine)
Subaru: pressure washer
post #10 of 12 Old 10-19-2016, 09:51 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by stromr View Post
Just like Honda engines, quality costs $$$
True,
But I don't think Honda ever made a small engine that was as expensive as a Kohler K series.
If a 12-14HP Honda is $1000 I'd be amazed.

Those Kohlers run absolutely beautiful as well, that's why I was considering one for the Ariens. It'd held give it more traction as well!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page