New to Snowblower - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 10-19-2016, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 7
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
New to Snowblower

Hello everyone - I am about to enter the snowblower world and am not too savvy with these machines LOL. I am considering getting a snowblower and wanted some opinions on what my requirements may be and if I getting the right one:

Situation: I live in the DC area and we get our fair share of snow. Usually 2-4 inches, and the 100 year storm every 2-3 years which can dump 2-3 feet of snow. And we have our fair share of 6-8 inch snow also.

My driveway is 400 ft long about 8 feet wide, with a portion of the driveway being a fairly large square where it meets the garage. Ideally one wouldnt need a blower, but considering the size, I am about to cave and buy one. It costs me anywhere from $100-$200 every time I get someone to plow me out depending on the inches of snow, and while its not too frequently every year (I shovel the small ones) its still the uncertainty that bothers me.

SO, I'm considering taking the plunge and looking at this machine:
Briggs and Stratton 1696619 Dual-Stage Snow Thrower with 250cc Engine
27-Inch wide clearing path with a 20-inch Intake height

Any thoughts on this machine and if it will serve my purpose? Anything i havent thought about?

Thank you for your assistance
BigKutta is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 17 Old 10-19-2016, 06:17 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Shoreline, CT
Posts: 3,447
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 103
Thanks (Received): 375
Likes (Given): 467
Likes (Received): 479
Welcome aboard....!
I will let others advice you as I've zero experience with the brand and model snowblower you are looking at.
YSHSfan is online now  
post #3 of 17 Old 10-19-2016, 06:40 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: nova scotia-south shore - ave annual snowfall 199.4 cm ( 78.5 ")
Posts: 2,341
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 73
Thanks (Received): 157
Likes (Given): 378
Likes (Received): 603
Garage
welcome to the forum BK ! Can i ask, what is the most you can/would spend on a new blower ?

24 " 1967? Ariens Sno thro
28 " Ariens Sno Tek
Toro CCR ss
1966 Gravely LI Walk behind with dog eater

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
nwcove is online now  
post #4 of 17 Old 10-20-2016, 07:44 AM
Senior Member
 
Cardo111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: The Lower Hudson Valley, NY
Posts: 1,052
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 125
Likes (Given): 79
Likes (Received): 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKutta View Post
Hello everyone - I am about to enter the snowblower world and am not too savvy with these machines LOL. I am considering getting a snowblower and wanted some opinions on what my requirements may be and if I getting the right one:

Situation: I live in the DC area and we get our fair share of snow. Usually 2-4 inches, and the 100 year storm every 2-3 years which can dump 2-3 feet of snow. And we have our fair share of 6-8 inch snow also.

My driveway is 400 ft long about 8 feet wide, with a portion of the driveway being a fairly large square where it meets the garage. Ideally one wouldnt need a blower, but considering the size, I am about to cave and buy one. costs me anywhere from $100-$200 every time I get someone to plow me out depending on the inches of snow, and while its not too frequently every year (I shovel the small ones) its still the uncertainty that bothers me.

SO, I'm considering taking the plunge and looking at this machine:
Briggs and Stratton 1696619 Dual-Stage Snow Thrower with 250cc Engine
27-Inch wide clearing path with a 20-inch Intake height

Any thoughts on this machine and if it will serve my purpose? Anything i havent thought about?

Thank you for your assistance

aboard!

I have seen that machine on Amazon. It looks like a decent value for the money. However I think it is too small for your needs. Additionally the 250cc engine may prove underpowered for the EOD (end of driveway) plow pile. Though it certainly would beat shoveling. Ariens runs some good finance promos, you may want to look at the Deluxe 28 SHO (SHO models are only available at independent dealers only, not the big boxes) in my area about $1200. This is a heavy duty powerful machine that will last many years. Also their Deluxe 30 with heated grips may come in handy for your very long driveway about $1400. for this model. Best of luck let us know which one you ended up going with.

Ariens Platinum 24 SHO w/369cc carbureted LCT motor


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Cardo111; 10-20-2016 at 07:52 AM.
Cardo111 is offline  
post #5 of 17 Old 10-20-2016, 08:03 AM
Senior Member
 
uberT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Boston suburbs
Posts: 1,453
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 98
Thanks (Received): 85
Likes (Given): 243
Likes (Received): 140
Kutta, welcome to the forums! is the machine you're considering new or used?

2014 Ariens 21" Path Pro 938030
2015 Ariens 24" SHO 921038 | poly skids
uberT is online now  
post #6 of 17 Old 10-20-2016, 09:20 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 7
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwcove View Post
welcome to the forum BK ! Can i ask, what is the most you can/would spend on a new blower ?
Thank you. I am looking at the $1000 range give or take a few. I didnt know much about these so the price and reviews looked decent on Amazon, however, I am willing to spend more than that on a better quality machine
BigKutta is offline  
post #7 of 17 Old 10-20-2016, 09:25 AM
Senior Member
 
stromr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: CNY
Posts: 485
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 12
Thanks (Received): 38
Likes (Given): 11
Likes (Received): 63
Smile Welcome Aboard!

250cc seems a touch small for a 27" blower. My Husky 27" has a 291cc engine and it could use more torque but being able to infinitely adjust my ground speed with the hydrostatic transmission makes it work.


stromr is offline  
post #8 of 17 Old 10-20-2016, 09:40 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 7
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardo111 View Post
aboard!

I have seen that machine on Amazon. It looks like a decent value for the money. However I think it is too small for your needs. Additionally the 250cc engine may prove underpowered for the EOD (end of driveway) plow pile. Though it certainly would beat shoveling. Ariens runs some good finance promos, you may want to look at the Deluxe 28 SHO (SHO models are only available at independent dealers only, not the big boxes) in my area about $1200. This is a heavy duty powerful machine that will last many years. Also their Deluxe 30 with heated grips may come in handy for your very long driveway about $1400. for this model. Best of luck let us know which one you ended up going with.
Thank you. That is good to know. Is it underpowered because of the amount of space I have to cover, or is it the EOD pileup you mention? Because the EOD pileup has never been bad...we live on a private street, homes are spaced apart, and our private contractor ensures not to screw anyone over. I do however, have an incline (not steep) in the last 100 feet of driveway which I forgot to mention. I initially looked at Ariens and will re-look. Do you feel the $500-600 difference is worth it?
BigKutta is offline  
post #9 of 17 Old 10-20-2016, 09:40 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 7
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by uberT View Post
Kutta, welcome to the forums! is the machine you're considering new or used?
Thanks. Considering new
BigKutta is offline  
post #10 of 17 Old 10-20-2016, 09:41 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 7
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by stromr View Post
250cc seems a touch small for a 27" blower. My Husky 27" has a 291cc engine and it could use more torque but being able to infinitely adjust my ground speed with the hydrostatic transmission makes it work.


Thank you! Another data point telling me 250 s not enough. Good to know!
BigKutta is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome