LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 10-21-2016, 12:16 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
Buy online?

Any experiences buying a snow blower from an online retailer? The cost difference is significant compared to the dealers near me. Do they come already assembled in the crate? Any issues to be aware of? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 10-21-2016, 01:28 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 147
Thanks (Received): 277
Likes (Given): 380
Likes (Received): 929
All I know is if it breaks on you your local franchise is responsible for repairs but you will go to the bottom of the list. I doubt they come fully assembled. You are probably required to install the chute and handlebars at minimum. Also you will probably have to "set up" your blower. Skid and belt adjustments etc...
It ain't always all about the money. Try working with your dealer before pulling the trigger on an online pruchase.

Joe

Sent from my junky old Hisense 7" tablet that I can barely see.
Toro 724
Toro CCR 3650E
Toro 5/21 sold
Ariens 5/22 ss ..Sold
Ariens Sno Tek 7/24 sold.
Old green plastic snow shovel... Sent.to shovel Heaven
Old quarry shovel for ice.
New.green shovel
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes 43128 liked this post
post #3 of 18 Old 10-21-2016, 01:40 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 103
Thanks (Received): 375
Likes (Given): 466
Likes (Received): 478
What snowblower brand and model are you buying?
It all depends on what you are getting.
2 stage Honda models I've read come almost fully assembled, browse through the forum and you'll find that info.
Other brands I'm not familiar as how they come, but probably need at least some assembly.
post #4 of 18 Old 10-21-2016, 02:30 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Received): 1
I agree there can be added value from buying from a local dealer. I'm just not sure there is that much for a snow blower, although this will be my first snow blower so I could very well be wrong. The pricing on Toro and Ariens are about the same online and locally, the big savings is with the Honda's.
post #5 of 18 Old 10-21-2016, 03:20 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 354
Likes (Given): 151
Likes (Received): 788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuco View Post
although this will be my first snow blower so I could very well be wrong.
wellll..it's probably safe to say, you are wrong.
We have seen it time and again on this forum..90% of problems with brand-new snowblowers are due to poor or incorrect set-up and adjustment of a new machine.
Most of the time from big-box employees who dont know what they are doing, but also from people putting together their own snowblower, with no previous experience.
Meanwhile, these kinds of problems almost never happen when buying a snowblower from a dealer, because they have the knowledge to do it right.

If its a difference of $100 to $200, IMO, spend the money and get it from a dealer..
the savings might not be worth the potential hassle and frustration of having a brand-new machine not work properly (or at all) when you need it most.

Scot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 18 Old 10-21-2016, 09:11 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Received): 4
i think it depends on what model blower you are buying and your mechanical aptitude.

for instance, if you are not real mechanically inclined and would have trouble figuring out what is wrong, buying from a local dealer makes perfect sense. i bought my new john deere 928 blower 8 years ago from a local john deere dealer. fact is, nothing went wrong other than the slipping drive wheel issue which i eventually fixed myself. but for the pricepoint, i don't think i would have saved a ton going on line and i enjoyed the shopping experience and buying it. OHHH, i also bought a X304 mower at the same time and worked out a bit of deal on two units purchased at once. so there is that.

i just recently purchased a Honda HSS928 to replace the Deere. i bought it online. it came fully assembled in a big box. it was wooden structure inside with cardboard surrounding it. came freight. i will do my maintenance on this myself. it will need to have a major issue for me to take to a dealer and if that is the case, they will fix it under warranty. it is a honda so i believe that happening is very slim. i also know how to set up mechanical stuff so that is not a worry. and finally, since this is such an expensive blower, the savings online was more than what could be found on a $800-$1000 blower.

my experience, let your circumstances guide you.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Cardo111 liked this post
post #7 of 18 Old 10-27-2016, 09:39 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 26
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 51
My garage/workshop is pretty well equipped with the appropriate hammers and such needed for snowblower maintenance. Add to that the timing of purchase last year, right after a heavy and very early storm, and the option of buying from a local dealer wasn't real. So I bought one online, saving about 30% by getting an Amazon "Prime members only" deal. Delivery was later than I would have liked, as they freight them in truckloads, scheduling all the deliveries in the area for the same day.

My next-door neighbor, on the same day "ordered" a snowblower from a local blue big-box store. His "arrived" at the store a couple days before mine was delivered. The Good News was that we had a chance to go through the whole pre-delivery assembly procedure before it was really needed, so were were able to avoid some infant-mortality issues that would have plagued him had he left it as-found. Nothing huge, just stuff that needed a little extra attention like tightening things correctly and fixing little assembly boo-boos.

Mine arrived on a pallet with cardboard cover, and took an hour or so to unpack and "assemble". That included mounting the chute and handlebars, air in the tires, top-up of the (minimum) as-delivered oil level in the engine. It also included some cover removal for inspection for a possible drive belt routing issue noted prior by other here, a full clean and detail with good paint sealant (looks good, keeps snow and ice from sticking as much), along with a general once-over with the torque wrench and sockets.

It's these last two paragraphs that highlight the differences that make a good dealer prep and purchase a worthwhile investment for most folks. Is this stuff that you are capable of and equipped to do? When something does happen and it's warranty or not, the support you need will be a lot closer and more convenient at your local dealer who knows you. As others share, you are much more likely to be higher on the dealer's service priority list if you are already a customer. How much is that worth? Probably depends on how deep the snow is that day.

New Husqy ST227P for 2014-15 snow season.

I love my snowblower. Every beat of it's little heart is one mine won't have to take.
post #8 of 18 Old 10-27-2016, 10:01 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Received): 14
I'm the kind that never wants a machine set up by anyone other than myself, because I'm a bit more meticulous and I take more care in it that anyone else would. Besides, I love to do that kind of stuff and I have the tools and aptitude for it. I'm the guy who buys something and always makes improvements to it beyond how it arrived brand new from the factory. (Any major alterations are usually only done after warranty expiration!) But for the person who is not mechanically inclined, does not like doing their own maintenance, does not read the operators manual, or who is just not into working on their own OPE, I agree they should pay the extra money for equipment & service from their local dealer.
post #9 of 18 Old 10-27-2016, 10:15 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 3
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slinger View Post
I'm the kind that never wants a machine set up by anyone other than myself, because I'm a bit more meticulous and I take more care in it that anyone else would. Besides, I love to do that kind of stuff and I have the tools and aptitude for it. I'm the guy who buys something and always makes improvements to it beyond how it arrived brand new from the factory. (Any major alterations are usually only done after warranty expiration!) But for the person who is not mechanically inclined, does not like doing their own maintenance, does not read the operators manual, or who is just not into working on their own OPE, I agree they should pay the extra money for equipment & service from their local dealer.

I'm the same way.

In my book, no one is going to take more time to assemble it and carefully prep it than I will. The issue then is do I have enough knowledge to do as good a job as a dealer? No doubt, they clearly know more than I do, but do I know enough? I assumed yes and ordered one online last week. It showed up yesterday and assembly wasn't exactly rocket science. I did need to adjust one cable from the default setup so the impeller and auger weren't spinning without the handle depressed, but again, not rocket science.

The other issue is what would I have done if it was defective and needed service right at the outset? That would suck a bit if you don't have access to a truck, because then you are paying a local dealer to come and pick it up and drop it back off (unless the warranty rocks). My local dealer charges $50 each way for such transport. I decided that was worth the roll of the dice since they wanted $200 more for the blower than HD, another $50 for assembly, and another $50 to deliver it. I don't mind paying a premium to support a local dealer, but not a $300 premium on a $999 purchase. I have hand tools and a funnel.
post #10 of 18 Old 10-27-2016, 11:32 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 14
Thanks (Received): 17
Likes (Given): 36
Likes (Received): 31
Buy online?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_Steve View Post
I'm the same way.

In my book, no one is going to take more time to assemble it and carefully prep it than I will. The issue then is do I have enough knowledge to do as good a job as a dealer? No doubt, they clearly know more than I do, but do I know enough? I assumed yes and ordered one online last week. It showed up yesterday and assembly wasn't exactly rocket science. I did need to adjust one cable from the default setup so the impeller and auger weren't spinning without the handle depressed, but again, not rocket science.

The other issue is what would I have done if it was defective and needed service right at the outset? That would suck a bit if you don't have access to a truck, because then you are paying a local dealer to come and pick it up and drop it back off (unless the warranty rocks). My local dealer charges $50 each way for such transport. I decided that was worth the roll of the dice since they wanted $200 more for the blower than HD, another $50 for assembly, and another $50 to deliver it. I don't mind paying a premium to support a local dealer, but not a $300 premium on a $999 purchase. I have hand tools and a funnel.

It's interesting that the dealer was charging $200 more, plus $50 setup, $50 delivery. I know in my area the local dealers charge the same exact price as HD for Ariens blowers. I've never paid a setup fee at a dealer either. Same for Honda power equipment. The local dealers charge the exact same as big box stores.
I actually bought 2 deluxe 27's at once from a local dealer a few years back and convinced them to comp the sales tax since I was paying cash for 2 units.
I don't think HD would have gone for that one! Lol!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2010 Ariens Deluxe 27 (921012)
250cc B&S (1150 ft lbs)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page