First Dealer Experience - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 10-21-2016, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Northern Colordao
Posts: 113
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 11
First Dealer Experience

Well, Finally had a chance to make it to the only dealer in my area that sells both Ariens and Toro.

I am looking at a single stage. The Ariens path-pro 938033 / SS21EC and the Toro QZR 721.

Since the dealer is 25 miles from my home I emailed him to set up a time to see both the snow blowers I wanted to see and to see if he had them. I was told they are both in stock and I could look at both upon arrival.

The experience I had was far from great.

They had 1 Ariens 938033 on the floor, and didn't have the Toro QZR 721 I was looking for on the floor, it was in the warehouse. Even though it was suppose to be available to see.

I wanted to see them side by side to compare the paddle design, etc.

So since I was there I decided to look at the Ariens more closely.

I asked the dealer's rep about the Ariens and it seemed I knew more about it then him. He knew about the lower models, without the electric start or chute control.

Lets make matters worse. I tried the chute control on the Ariens, and what happened? It didn't work properly. In order to make the chute control work it has a handle on the bar that you push down to turn the chute to the right and pull up to turn it left, I pushed down to turn the chute the right and the chute control would get stuck in the middle not letting you turn the chute to the right. I asked him why it didn't work, guess what - He didn't have an answer for that. Obviously it was broke or not installed properly.

So, in short, the dealer assembled the Ariens wrong since the chute control didn't work, or Ariens chute control was broke right out of the box. Any how, the dealer should have checked the chute control before putting on the floor

This was my 1st dealer experience and it wasn't good.

Is this a sign to get the Toro, since the chute control on the Ariens didn't work?

If I purchased the Ariens, could I trust this dealer to work on it if anything went wrong? Since they didn't install the chute control properly or it was broke out of the box and they didn't check it before putting on the floor. Poor attention to detail.

As for the Toro, I have other Toro dealers closer that could work on the toro in anything went wrong.



steeve725 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 Old 10-21-2016, 05:38 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: nova scotia-south shore - ave annual snowfall 199.4 cm ( 78.5 ")
Posts: 2,312
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 73
Thanks (Received): 157
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 591
Garage
i wouldnt condemn the ariens for that glitch, most likely something very simple, but i would be a bit leary of your experience with the dealer.....that interaction sounds more like something you would get in a big box store than at a good dealership. jmo

24 " 1967? Ariens Sno thro
28 " Ariens Sno Tek
Toro CCR ss
1966 Gravely LI Walk behind with dog eater

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
nwcove is online now  
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Bondo 287 liked this post
post #3 of 15 Old 10-21-2016, 05:42 PM
Senior Member
 
scrappy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 537
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 39
Likes (Given): 36
Likes (Received): 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by steeve725 View Post
Well, Finally had a chance to make it to the only dealer in my area that sells both Ariens and Toro.

I am looking at a single stage. The Ariens path-pro 938033 / SS21EC and the Toro QZR 721.

Since the dealer is 25 miles from my home I emailed him to set up a time to see both the snow blowers I wanted to see and to see if he had them. I was told they are both in stock and I could look at both upon arrival.

The experience I had was far from great.

They had 1 Ariens 938033 on the floor, and didn't have the Toro QZR 721 I was looking for on the floor, it was in the warehouse. Even though it was suppose to be available to see.

I wanted to see them side by side to compare the paddle design, etc.

So since I was there I decided to look at the Ariens more closely.

I asked the dealer's rep about the Ariens and it seemed I knew more about it then him. He knew about the lower models, without the electric start or chute control.

Lets make matters worse. I tried the chute control on the Ariens, and what happened? It didn't work properly. In order to make the chute control work it has a handle on the bar that you push down to turn the chute to the right and pull up to turn it left, I pushed down to turn the chute the right and the chute control would get stuck in the middle not letting you turn the chute to the right. I asked him why it didn't work, guess what - He didn't have an answer for that. Obviously it was broke or not installed properly.

So, in short, the dealer assembled the Ariens wrong since the chute control didn't work, or Ariens chute control was broke right out of the box. Any how, the dealer should have checked the chute control before putting on the floor

This was my 1st dealer experience and it wasn't good.

Is this a sign to get the Toro, since the chute control on the Ariens didn't work?

If I purchased the Ariens, could I trust this dealer to work on it if anything went wrong? Since they didn't install the chute control properly or it was broke out of the box and they didn't check it before putting on the floor. Poor attention to detail.

As for the Toro, I have other Toro dealers closer that could work on the toro in anything went wrong.



WOW! that's pretty crappy! First impressions are most important, and this so called dealer failed miserably.
My friend bought the path pro 3 yrs ago, I told her to have it delivered to her house so we could set it up and she did. Set up was very simple including installing the remote chute. No excuse for that dealer. Maybe buy on line like she did and skip the dealer experience.
scrappy is offline  
post #4 of 15 Old 10-21-2016, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Northern Colordao
Posts: 113
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 11
The last snowblower I purchased online it was easy.

Got it, set it up.

Yes, this dealer was bad.

I went there to compare snow blowers to make my decision easier and left frustrated and still not knowing if I'll get the Ariens path pro or Toro qzr 721.
steeve725 is online now  
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Bondo 287 liked this post
post #5 of 15 Old 10-21-2016, 07:17 PM
Senior Member
 
Hanky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Princeton B.C. Canada
Posts: 990
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 89
Thanks (Received): 70
Likes (Given): 306
Likes (Received): 137
My first snowblower I bought from Sears on the phone and set it up and ran good for 18 years. My new Toro dealer bought had issues dealer corrected but it should of been caught before I took it home. I was lucky the dealer was good about they came and picked up and brought back to my house.

2014,TORO 1128 OXE Power Max HD
Hanky is online now  
post #6 of 15 Old 10-22-2016, 02:01 PM
Senior Member
 
Spectrum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Southern Maine
Posts: 725
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 40
Likes (Given): 10
Likes (Received): 149
That was not an inspiring story.

Did you happen to meet up with the person that told you both were available for inspection? Often there is a key person or 2 and then some junior folks that are doing their best. While this experience was not stellar there may be some top notch back-up that would be responding to issues and checking a delivered unit.

Since I was once a 14 year old left to interact with customers it is easy to see an OPE enthusiast coming though the door with more information. Back then I wasn't up against the internet!

As for the chute they are overly complex and fragile today. (End of soapbox moment) It was either an out of box failure of poorly set-up. I agree it should not have made it to the showroom that way.

If you decide the Toro is as good a choice as any then it's a moot point.

If you are bouncing around evaluating machines closeup pictures of features taken with a smartphone are awesome for simulating side by side.

Pete
Spectrum is offline  
post #7 of 15 Old 10-22-2016, 03:02 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Northern Colordao
Posts: 113
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectrum View Post
That was not an inspiring story.

Did you happen to meet up with the person that told you both were available for inspection? Often there is a key person or 2 and then some junior folks that are doing their best. While this experience was not stellar there may be some top notch back-up that would be responding to issues and checking a delivered unit.

Since I was once a 14 year old left to interact with customers it is easy to see an OPE enthusiast coming though the door with more information. Back then I wasn't up against the internet!

As for the chute they are overly complex and fragile today. (End of soapbox moment) It was either an out of box failure of poorly set-up. I agree it should not have made it to the showroom that way.

If you decide the Toro is as good a choice as any then it's a moot point.

If you are bouncing around evaluating machines closeup pictures of features taken with a smartphone are awesome for simulating side by side.

Pete
Yes, I met with the same person I had been dealing with.

There is only a few actual Ariens dealers local to me, even few Toro dealers.

The main sellers of the Toro's in my area listed on Toro's website are Home Depot, ACE, very few independent dealers of Toro or Ariens.

That is why I was excited to find an actual dealer that sold both.
steeve725 is online now  
post #8 of 15 Old 10-22-2016, 03:10 PM
Senior Member
 
GoBlowSnow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,527
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 82
Likes (Given): 56
Likes (Received): 249
Where was the dealer located, and what was the name of the guy you worked with there?
GoBlowSnow is offline  
post #9 of 15 Old 10-22-2016, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Northern Colordao
Posts: 113
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBlowSnow View Post
Where was the dealer located, and what was the name of the guy you worked with there?
I would rather not say, I don't want to bad mouth people.

I was just explaining my experience at an actual dealer.

I purchased 2 new snow blowers in the past, 1 online and the other from Home Depot.

I had better experiences at Home Depot (yes the blower was in the box, and I set it up) and online.

It's looking like I'll probably buy online if I can't find another place locally.
steeve725 is online now  
post #10 of 15 Old 10-22-2016, 11:28 PM
Senior Member
 
GoBlowSnow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,527
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 82
Likes (Given): 56
Likes (Received): 249
I sure hope it wasn't the dealer I use up in northern colorado I purchased my SHO & Ariens mower from them, Dave was flat out awesome and has a great shop and tech who helped me at the time was super knowledgeable. Add to that I drove from Highlands Ranch up there (twice now) because the dealer down in my neck of the woods was not very nice when I visited the place.

Last edited by GoBlowSnow; 10-22-2016 at 11:35 PM.
GoBlowSnow is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome