LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 10-26-2016, 06:14 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Single stage

Hello Everyone. I am looking to replace a craftsman single stage that served me well. I live in Detroit, Michigan. We Do get a fair amount of snow, but I don't really need a two stage blower. I live in a small two bedroom home, driveway is a single car width, about 70ft long. I have been looking at a Briggs and Stratton single stage. My Question is are they any good? This would be the 950 series. On Amazon at about $370.00.
Thanks In advance for any advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 10-26-2016, 06:36 PM

Location: nova scotia-south shore - ave annual snowfall 199.4 cm ( 78.5 ")
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 73
Thanks (Received): 158
Likes (Given): 382
Likes (Received): 605
Garage
jmo, but i would avoid that machine and maybe take a step up in $$ to a toro, a honda or maybe an ariens..

24 " 1967? Ariens Sno thro
28 " Ariens Sno Tek
Toro CCR ss
1966 Gravely LI Walk behind with dog eater

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 Old 10-26-2016, 06:45 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 103
Thanks (Received): 76
Likes (Given): 328
Likes (Received): 147
I have to agree with nwcove on this one also. If the budget does not allow that maybe a craftsman again. Some times one has to spend a bit more so it will last the winter.
http://www.husqvarna.com/ca/en/produ...rowers/st-111/ Do not know the price of this one, it is not a Toro or Ariens.

2014,TORO 1128 OXE Power Max HD

Last edited by Hanky; 10-26-2016 at 06:54 PM.
post #4 of 10 Old 10-27-2016, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thank You for the top replies. I'm Glad I asked. I guess briggs has changed a lot? If I am recalling correctly, if it didn't have a briggs engine it was second choice. But That was a time ago.
post #5 of 10 Old 10-27-2016, 04:26 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 12
Thanks (Received): 38
Likes (Given): 11
Likes (Received): 63
"...if it didn't have a briggs engine it was second choice. But that was a time ago." Yes, "A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...."
post #6 of 10 Old 10-27-2016, 07:41 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 214
Thanks (Received): 293
Likes (Given): 1698
Likes (Received): 593
hello oleskool, welcome to SBF!! head out to commercial lawn mower in Plymouth, they carry toro and Honda snowblowers. I'm on the city's west side and still using the toro 2450E I purchased in '99. oh if you would prefer an ariens there is an ariens dealer at joy and Inkster rd, good luck

current machines
1-toro2450E-38419. 1-toro3000E-38435. 1-toro 3650E-38445
2-toro 521E-38052. 1-toro xl824pt 38086
1-.............,TORO XL 624ps..............
1-............, TORO XL 824ps..............
william
post #7 of 10 Old 10-27-2016, 08:15 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 8
Likes (Received): 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by stromr View Post
"...if it didn't have a briggs engine it was second choice. But that was a time ago." Yes, "A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...."
I've got to disagree at least a bit here.

Briggs engines are on millions of machines and have proven to be reliable over and over again. Just in my experience, just about every piece of power equipment I own, certainly anything that costs more than a couple of nickles, has a very reliable Briggs engine. My lawn tractor has a 22HP Pro Series that is absolutely fantastic (and has a great reputation among consumers and dealers). It replaced a former Briggs engine that was running like a top with only oil/filter changes until I sold it to a friend. Finally I have owned several Briggs Polar Force engines on my snowblowers, and each one has been great. My Ariens that I own today is only 5 years old, but it starts on the first pull every winter after sitting for 8 - 9 months.

So I guess the moral of my story is this OP, don't let having a Briggs engine on any snowblower stop you from buying it.
post #8 of 10 Old 10-27-2016, 11:47 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 14
Thanks (Received): 17
Likes (Given): 36
Likes (Received): 31
You were looking at a B&S brand blower on Amazon if I read that right. The whole machine is a Briggs, not just the engine.
I don't know much about B&S branded blowers, but don't be afraid of a quality brand blower powered by a B&S engine. The engines they make today are still very good engines IMO. The new top of the line Ariens blowers are still B&S powered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2010 Ariens Deluxe 27 (921012)
250cc B&S (1150 ft lbs)
post #9 of 10 Old 10-28-2016, 05:12 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by detdrbuzzard View Post
hello oleskool, welcome to SBF!! head out to commercial lawn mower in Plymouth, they carry toro and Honda snowblowers. I'm on the city's west side and still using the toro 2450E I purchased in '99. oh if you would prefer an ariens there is an ariens dealer at joy and Inkster rd, good luck
Thanks everyone for the replies. @ detdrbuzzard never been to the shop in Plymouth, but the shop on joy and inkster is where I go if I can't service something myself. The auger broke in my 16yr old craftsman, the shop on joy rd mentioned above gave me the advice "get a Ariens". I don't want to put $200.00 into this blower. After Reading this post, and reading Amazon reviews the briggs is still on the table. I have been looking at other brands but it seems you get less for more cash. I am looking at higher prices models of the briggs too. That serrated blade on the more expensive models sounds good. Looking At troy built also. Have Not heard much about them here.

Last edited by Oleskool; 10-28-2016 at 05:15 PM. Reason: Misspelling
post #10 of 10 Old 10-28-2016, 06:12 PM

Location: nova scotia-south shore - ave annual snowfall 199.4 cm ( 78.5 ")
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 73
Thanks (Received): 158
Likes (Given): 382
Likes (Received): 605
Garage
the end of the winter before last, i bought a troy bilt two stage machine as my old blower took a beating and was starting to literally come apart. luckily the old machine held up and i never even started that flimsy/flexy tb until i sold it " as new" at a $$ loss. that thing felt like a one storm machine ! tb is not what they used to be. jmo

24 " 1967? Ariens Sno thro
28 " Ariens Sno Tek
Toro CCR ss
1966 Gravely LI Walk behind with dog eater

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page