Request for advice - Craftsman 88394 or Troy-Bilt Storm 2890 - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 10-29-2016, 03:52 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Request for advice - Craftsman 88394 or Troy-Bilt Storm 2890

Hi all, I'm new to the forum and I'm trying to decide between 2 snow blowers with quiet engines because I have a baby in the house. I live in New Hyde Park, NY (western Long Island near Queens) on a corner property with about 160' of 4' sidewalk to clear and a driveway that's about 40' x 15'. I was trying to decide between 2 snow blowers, the Craftsman 88394 and the new Troy-Bilt Storm 2890. They have almost the exact same features with the biggest difference being the airless tires in the Troy-Bilt. Consumer Reports gives them about the same reliability rating based on their reader surveys. I'm sorry I can't post links to both of them because I don't have enough posts yet. Does anyone recommend one model or brand over the other?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-29-2016, 07:38 PM

Location: nova scotia-south shore - ave annual snowfall 199.4 cm ( 78.5 ")
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 73
Thanks (Received): 157
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 592
Garage
if you are solely picking one of those two machines based on " quiet" , it is a wash. jmo, but all modern snowblowers are quiet to the point of being less of an issue than a modern lawnmower, snow on the ground muffles sound. i would personally have a look( listen) to other machines, again jmo.

24 " 1967? Ariens Sno thro
28 " Ariens Sno Tek
Toro CCR ss
1966 Gravely LI Walk behind with dog eater

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 Old 10-29-2016, 09:59 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwcove View Post
if you are solely picking one of those two machines based on " quiet" , it is a wash. jmo, but all modern snowblowers are quiet to the point of being less of an issue than a modern lawnmower, snow on the ground muffles sound. i would personally have a look( listen) to other machines, again jmo.
Thanks nwcove. I haven't gone to stores other than Sears to see the snow blowers. I've been doing my research online. Forgive my ignorance but will the stores like Home Depot and Lowe's actually startup their Toro and Troy-Bilt display models? What other 2 stage models should I consider that will be at least 26" wide so I can clear the 4' wide sidewalk in 2 passes?
post #4 of 5 Old 10-30-2016, 09:51 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 12
Thanks (Received): 38
Likes (Given): 11
Likes (Received): 63
Husqvarna 200 series, Toro Power Max series, Ariens Deluxe series, all more than adequate for your needs and higher quality than Craftsman or Troy-Bilt. Then again with a new baby in the house you could save money with the Craftsman or the Troy-Bilt this year and upgrade in a couple of years before they start to cost you money.
post #5 of 5 Old 10-30-2016, 12:21 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 90
Thanks (Received): 70
Likes (Given): 307
Likes (Received): 137
Yes I agree with Stormr on this one, a Husqvarna ST 227 P is very quiet and good build. This would last you years, of course there is Toro just depends on dealers and money.

HUSQVARNA ST 227P - Snow throwers

2014,TORO 1128 OXE Power Max HD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page