LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 10-30-2016, 02:41 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 280
Thanks (Received): 62
Likes (Given): 159
Likes (Received): 77
Plastic Carburetor?

So, my buddy just bought a lightly used Toro lawn mower with a plastic carburetor (there are brass inserts for the important parts) and we were discussing the benefits/detriments of plastic engine parts when I realized something possibly worth sharing:

I had to rebuild an aluminum carburetor on a rototiller because of the white aluminum oxide in the bowl and throughout which I assume resulted from the current hydrophilic ethanol in modern gasoline and it has been a nightmare getting the port inlet and linkage to hook up on the $11 replacement Chinese aluminum carburetor I bought.

So, are the Toro plastic carburetors actually an UPGRADE because you don't get aluminum oxide when you don't have an aluminum carburetor?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-30-2016, 02:58 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 103
Thanks (Received): 375
Likes (Given): 467
Likes (Received): 479
Probably, but my guess is that it is mostly a way to cut down on expenses (JMHO)

On another take, I was working on a 08 Mini Cooper S and was surprised to find out that the drive by wire throttle body was made out of plastic......!
post #3 of 7 Old 10-30-2016, 03:26 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 280
Thanks (Received): 62
Likes (Given): 159
Likes (Received): 77
Generally yes, but what was the expense of engineering, mold creation, changing the production line, etc. just to create a new plastic carburetor when they could have easily repurposed an existing proven aluminum carburetor product?
post #4 of 7 Old 10-30-2016, 03:38 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 103
Thanks (Received): 375
Likes (Given): 467
Likes (Received): 479
Don't know the answer, but generally speaking specially in the automotive industry a lot of components have taken the direction of using plastic instead of aluminum and my understanding is that the main reason is to cut down expenses (JMMHO).
post #5 of 7 Old 11-10-2016, 09:28 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 43
Likes (Given): 41
Likes (Received): 51
Tecumseh has a "vector carb" plastic bowl, alloy top half, I have one on a crappy Coleman generator.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #6 of 7 Old 11-10-2016, 11:57 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 12
Thanks (Received): 114
Likes (Given): 127
Likes (Received): 266
I don't work with carbs in my job but we recently started using molded plastic in place of SS, Yes the molds cost around $200K upfront BUT in the production line there much cheaper, Less production time and any machining needed to do on the molded parts the tooling lasts much much longer which is also a savings, So using molded plastic it does save a lot more money and the original investments also can be considered a write off. Many other materials can be used to deal with the new gas but it's not worth the costs.

Last edited by Dauntae; 11-11-2016 at 12:44 AM.
post #7 of 7 Old 11-11-2016, 01:02 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 40
Likes (Given): 10
Likes (Received): 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by E350 View Post
Generally yes, but what was the expense of engineering, mold creation, changing the production line, etc. just to create a new plastic carburetor when they could have easily repurposed an existing proven aluminum carburetor product?
Volume manufacturing can justify some major expenditures. It wasn't done "just because". Trust me, the accountants had their say.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page