increasing engine rpm's ....is it worth it? - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 10-31-2016, 05:31 PM Thread Starter

Location: nova scotia-south shore - ave annual snowfall 199.4 cm ( 78.5 ")
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 73
Thanks (Received): 157
Likes (Given): 369
Likes (Received): 597
Garage
increasing engine rpm's ....is it worth it?

thinking about spinning my chonda a bit faster than spec, its spec'd at the normal 3600 +/- 100 rpm, i'd like to let it run at 4000. not to worried about it grenading, but i do worry a bit about the added stresses on my old ariens . is it worth the extra 100 (?) impeller rpms, or will the result be lackluster.?

24 " 1967? Ariens Sno thro
28 " Ariens Sno Tek
Toro CCR ss
1966 Gravely LI Walk behind with dog eater

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 10-31-2016, 09:59 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 10
Thanks (Received): 100
Likes (Given): 19
Likes (Received): 264
I increased the auger + impeller RPM on an Ariens 32 I had a while back and it threw farther, but my goal was to try to make it process snow faster (so I wouldn't have to go in 1st gear with 6" of snow) and it didn't seem to help much. In that case I did it by replacing the pulley on the engine with a larger one.

But depending on what you call "older" I would not worry about stressing the machine too much. I put a 10 HP Honda motor on a 1960's Ariens that came with a 4 HP engine and with one exception it did just fine.

The exception was when I was seriously abusing it one time. It was spring and most of the snow had melted except this one large pile. I was trying to remove the pile (of repeatedly thawed and refrozen snow so very dense) and the wheels, with chains on them, were on dry pavement and getting incredible traction. So incredible in fact that both wheel hubs split where the keys were!

But honestly, and I know this is just opinion, I think the same would have happened with the original engine. The reduction ratio between the engine and wheels is such that if the friction disc is gripping well, the wheels can get a serious amount of torque.

~1994 Ariens 924084 (ST1032) "papa bear": restored, re-engined, real nice!
1991 Ariens 924050 (ST824) "mama bear"
Toro PowerCurve 1800 "baby bear"

Be alert! America needs more lerts.
post #3 of 15 Old 10-31-2016, 11:03 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 103
Thanks (Received): 375
Likes (Given): 466
Likes (Received): 478
What would be the torque at 4000rpm...? It is likely going to decrease I'd think.
Just like ELaw stated, I'd change the crank pulley to achieve a higher impeller speed.
post #4 of 15 Old 10-31-2016, 11:26 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 60
Thanks (Received): 112
Likes (Given): 79
Likes (Received): 124
Garage
The LCT 414 engine on my machine initially ran at 3,500 rpm and the impeller at about 1,040 rpm, but the spec is 3,600 +/- 100 rpm for engine and 1,083 rpm for the impeller. I increased engine rpm to 3,700 (top of stock spec) and the impeller rpm rose to 1,100 rpm. The most obvious improvement was in blowing the very wet slop (little snow and a lot of water) at the EOD without clogging. It does throw snow a little farther, but hard pieces of "ice" are thrown a lot farther so in an urban setting I have to be careful where the chute is pointed. I was going to increase the engine auger pulley from 2.75" to 3" but the dual pulley configuration is too difficult for me to carry out that change.

The Ariens impeller is not wide enough to fill the 5" discharge opening with snow, so I widened the impeller at the end of last season and that improved the snow discharge volume. Engine speed is maintained under all conditions, so I am happy with all the changes.

2015 Ariens Platinum 30 SHO - model 921040
post #5 of 15 Old 11-01-2016, 07:46 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 10
Thanks (Received): 100
Likes (Given): 19
Likes (Received): 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Town View Post
...I widened the impeller at the end of last season and that improved the snow discharge volume.
How did you do that?

~1994 Ariens 924084 (ST1032) "papa bear": restored, re-engined, real nice!
1991 Ariens 924050 (ST824) "mama bear"
Toro PowerCurve 1800 "baby bear"

Be alert! America needs more lerts.
post #6 of 15 Old 11-01-2016, 06:04 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELaw View Post
How did you do that?
To correct my numbers: the stock impeller is 3.25" wide with a discharge opening width of 4.25". I widened the impeller to just over 4.5" wide with the side plate. The effective clearing width in the impeller housing from the back to just beyond the joint where the auger housing meets the impeller housing is 5".

Attached are some pictures showing stock setup and impeller mods. With the stock set-up you will notice that the paint is removed from the discharge opening only on one side after a year of use, the side closer to the engine. To make the impeller move more snow out the discharge throat the impeller can be widened and a side plate added to the side of the impeller at the auger.

The cup shaped impeller has an upward turn on the side of the impeller close to the auger. Bend that so it forms a gentler outward curve that extends the impeller width from 3.25" to 4.25" approx. Using an 1/8" thick angle iron bent to about 100 degrees, shape the end to match the curve of the impeller housing to allow 1/8" clearance to the raised auger side of the impeller housing. I used a piece of cardboard to fashion the curve and then transferred it to the metal. The 100 degree angle allows the new end plate to run at 90 degrees to the impeller housing, to keep snow from migrating into the auger housing on left side and making a mess. Drill 2 mounting holes in the end plates and hold them to the impeller with a locking pliers. Drill through the impeller blade and bolt together with two 1/4" bolts. You may need to adjust the curve of the end plate a little since my impeller housing is not perfectly round, an 1/8" clearance seems fine.

Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0 stock impeller and housing after 1 year.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	206.0 KB
ID:	91298   Click image for larger version

Name:	01 Impeller widened to 4.25.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	275.4 KB
ID:	91306   Click image for larger version

Name:	02 Impeller widened with side skirt.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	142.0 KB
ID:	91314   Click image for larger version

Name:	03 Impeller widened and end plates.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	272.7 KB
ID:	91322  

post #7 of 15 Old 11-02-2016, 12:49 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 271
Thanks (Received): 61
Likes (Given): 153
Likes (Received): 75
Wow Town, that is a pretty cool mod! I read what you said about helping with wet snow. How about powder snow or medium density snow? Any improvement?

ELaw and Town, could you guys help this guy with recommendations for tires/chains etc. on his ST1032?

https://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum...ut-chains.html
post #8 of 15 Old 11-02-2016, 09:52 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by E350 View Post
Wow Town, that is a pretty cool mod! I read what you said about helping with wet snow. How about powder snow or medium density snow? Any improvement?

ELaw and Town, could you guys help this guy with recommendations for tires/chains etc. on his ST1032?

https://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum...ut-chains.html
Not much dry powder last year, I had the widened impeller but not the side plates. There is improvement in all damp snow conditions and the EOD stuff ploughed up on the sidewalk but not sodden with the melt from salt and milder temperatures. In conditions where the EOD is just several inches of water it is all pumped a long way from the area to be cleared. So I think an overall improvement that you can actually see.

Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks E350 thanked for this post
post #9 of 15 Old 11-06-2016, 11:33 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 92
Likes (Given): 446
Likes (Received): 148
i have had the predator on my ariens 910018 running at 4400 rpm for about 2 years now. only mods are some cosmetic stuff and a richer main jet, in my case it made a huge difference in the machines throwing characteristics and it doesnt seem to be hurting the engine that is still running buttery smooth with no signs of wear, and the gearbox and chassis seem to be holding up fine as well, and even at 4400 rpms its still way quieter then my old hm80(or any tecumseh i have used or serviced for that matter)

Last edited by 43128; 11-07-2016 at 11:58 PM.
post #10 of 15 Old 11-10-2016, 09:00 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 41
Likes (Given): 33
Likes (Received): 51
Theres a guy on YouTube that mounted rubber to the face of impeller paddles, to close up space between impeller paddles and drum wall. The result is NO clogs and throws slush and whatever he went through. Kinda same idea as what TOWN did just different placement.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in