LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 11-01-2016, 01:10 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 0
ISO: Snowblower Advice

Hello all....so I just got rid of my Toro CCR2450 which worked ok just didn't like that it sometimes had trouble starting. Had to pull 10...15...or more most times to start it. This was even after yearly checkups and having no problems at the checkups. Once I got it running it went fine though. But it's gone now.....

Anyway I am in Iowa and we don't often see significant snowfalls (12+)...maybe once season, maybe not. Last year we didn't see hardly anything. I have a two car driveway (that is inclined toward house). I also have a significant amount of sidewalk being on a corner, with park land behind me which I take care of the sidewalk on. I never had an issue with the single stage in the past 5 years as far as capacity to handle the job.

I have always had great luck with Honda lawn equipment and I am admittedly a creature of habit with things so I have focused my attention on the Hondas for snow removal now.

If I stick with the single stage Honda is the electric start the best option? Can I pull start if need be (malfunctioning electric start, etc)? Anything else I should know about this line (HS720's)? Is there a new model coming soon?

Should I open up the competition to other brands? If I don't stick with Honda what other recommendations are there for something of similar quality? Should I consider a two stage? Not so much worried about price as much as I am quality and longevity.

Thanks fellas...jb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-01-2016, 01:26 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 9
Thanks (Received): 10
Likes (Given): 9
Likes (Received): 4
Garage
Lionhawk.

Wow, winters must be a lot different than when I grew up in western Iowa back in the 50s. I remember lots of snow back then.

Here in Northern Virginia we don't get anywhere near as much snow as I remember in Iowa, but I still got a 2-stage machine because we seem to get winters with some real accumulations (12"+ at a time) that are not as easy to shovel as they used to be.

What you need for a machine depends on how much area you have to clear, how often you have to do it, and how much snow you get in a year.

Have fun in your search for the right machine.

Bob

Last edited by NVA4370; 11-01-2016 at 01:28 PM.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks Lionhawk thanked for this post
Likes Lionhawk liked this post
post #3 of 6 Old 11-01-2016, 01:50 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 94
Thanks (Received): 84
Likes (Given): 219
Likes (Received): 134
JB, welcome aboard! If I felt I could comfortably get away with a SS machine 90% of the time, that's what I'm buying.

Electric start: Will your wife or anyone else ever need to start it in your absence?

Honda: Are you happy with the support provided by your local dealer? If so, stick with it !

2014 Ariens 21" Path Pro 938030
2015 Ariens 24" SHO 921038 | poly skids
post #4 of 6 Old 11-01-2016, 02:27 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 103
Thanks (Received): 375
Likes (Given): 466
Likes (Received): 477
Welcome aboard.....!

I like the electric start feature on a snowblower, in case it is ever needed.
Honda engines typically start on first pull, but if someone has an injury or does not want to use the pull cord the e-start is there.
If you can afford it I'd sure go for a Honda HS720 (No new models coming up as far as I know).
If you don't mind used you can look for a very clean Honda HS621 (it is considered by many to be the best Honda Single Stage ever made).
If you want to look at another brand, my recommendation would be look a a Toro SS.

post #5 of 6 Old 11-01-2016, 04:27 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 0
Thanks for the welcome and the quick replies. There are some guys with two stage in the neighborhood but I really don't see a need for it. Heck, last year I used the Toro 6 times all winter and the worst snowfall was 5 or 6 inches. We usually do get snow more frequently than that but it rarely is 10 plus inches. 3 - 4 inch snowfall is probably closer to the norm but this is just me guessing. Only one snowfall in the past 12 years made me struggle and that was 16 inches and pretty wet....guessing nothing would have worked great on that.

Sounds like Honda is the way to go but I will check out a Toro SS. The difficulty I had starting my Toro CCR2450 is not the norm for a Toro I'm guessing?
Thanks again!
post #6 of 6 Old 11-01-2016, 05:58 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 103
Thanks (Received): 375
Likes (Given): 466
Likes (Received): 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionhawk View Post
The difficulty I had starting my Toro CCR2450 is not the norm for a Toro I'm guessing?
Something was wrong with your previous blower.
Most known brand snowblower engines in good working condition should start of first or just a few pulls.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page