LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 11-07-2016, 09:50 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Steep Drive Needs to Be CLEAN!

Hi, all! And thanks for helping out. I have a lot of experience running snowblowers up north but my new situation is a bit scary. I'm in the mountains of western NC where we get snowed in about one week each year on average. This is scary because my wife and I are of an age where access to emergency services is important. I no longer have the stamina to clear even 6" of snow off our 500 foot drive, and nobody around here wants that sort of work. Because snow is uncommon, driveways around here can be VERY steep. Mine is uncomfortable to walk down even when it's dry. Any slickness makes it impossible to walk or drive safely. I've read that tracked snowblowers are best for climbing hills, but that they don't clean to the bare surface as well as some wheeled ones. That concerns me because if the drive isn't scraped bare, it's treacherous even in my pac-boots. Is there any good solution for this problem or should we just move out when snow is forecast?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-07-2016, 10:05 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 89
Thanks (Received): 70
Likes (Given): 306
Likes (Received): 137
I would be looking at a track drive for sure at least it will help pull you up to the house. Three come to mind and you have to pick the price point and size that would be best. In no real order Ariens Compact Track 24, Husqvarna ST 327T, and Honda. I have used a track machine for 18 years but have not used any of the 3 I listed. Hope I got the correct links on here..

2014,TORO 1128 OXE Power Max HD

Last edited by Hanky; 11-07-2016 at 10:13 PM.
post #3 of 8 Old 11-08-2016, 02:10 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 5
Likes (Given): 4
Likes (Received): 4
Move out when snow is forecast. One of the hazards of being able to enjoy the beautiful views in the Smokies is snow. If you have trouble walking on your driveway in good weather then there is not any snowblower made that makes the conditions that you are describing safe for you.
I have a second home just west of Waynesville NC. I always leave and stay in a bed and breakfast until the danger is over. Outdoor power equipment dealers in that area don't even have snowblowers in their inventory.
Be safe neighbor.
It was my mothers home that I now have. She went outside to fill the bird feeder, fell and was found 3 days later.
A good rule is that if it is not safe for the EMS folks then it it not safe for you.
Be safe my friend.

Last edited by Eafoxjr; 11-08-2016 at 02:42 AM.
post #4 of 8 Old 11-08-2016, 08:49 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 89
Thanks (Received): 70
Likes (Given): 306
Likes (Received): 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eafoxjr View Post
Move out when snow is forecast. One of the hazards of being able to enjoy the beautiful views in the Smokies is snow. If you have trouble walking on your driveway in good weather then there is not any snowblower made that makes the conditions that you are describing safe for you.
I have a second home just west of Waynesville NC. I always leave and stay in a bed and breakfast until the danger is over. Outdoor power equipment dealers in that area don't even have snowblowers in their inventory.
Be safe neighbor.
It was my mothers home that I now have. She went outside to fill the bird feeder, fell and was found 3 days later.
A good rule is that if it is not safe for the EMS folks then it it not safe for you.
Be safe my friend.
Yes I do think Eafoxjr has a good point.

2014,TORO 1128 OXE Power Max HD
post #5 of 8 Old 11-08-2016, 11:53 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 271
Thanks (Received): 61
Likes (Given): 153
Likes (Received): 75
Eafoxjr: This takes more than a click "Thanks for this post."

Truly thank you for your post. Not a good memory for you to revist but a good warning to us all.

I will add another warning. In my avalanche safety class, the instructor told us of a woman in Tahoe who was killed in a snowslide which our mountain guide instructor correctly called an "avalanche." She was shoveling snow when her roof slid and crushed her.

The Building Code in my area specifies a roof load bearing capacity of 300 lbs per square feet. I don't blow the deck on the eave sides of the cabin because, quite frankly, I don't want anybody walking or standing there. When the roof slides at night it sounds like, well I can't really relate it to anything else, it is loud.
post #6 of 8 Old 11-10-2016, 03:04 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 3
it is an expensive option, but it will save you a lot of trouble.

https://www.angieslist.com/articles/...worth-cost.htm
post #7 of 8 Old 11-10-2016, 03:57 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 88
Likes (Given): 127
Likes (Received): 277
I grew up on a 330 Ft stretch with a 30 degree grade. The best thing is of course a plow on the front of a Jeep or at least FWD of some sort. Maybe just hire it out? We got by quite well with a JD tractor and a snowblower with Chains and weights however. You will have to sand it - no getting around that. If you want perfection you really need to have broom attachment to follow up on the blower and then just sand it while your brooming it...... the sand helps out with extra weight. Also invest in a pair of YakTrax for your boots/shoes - https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...q=yak%20tracks

Money well spent. Good luck......

The reason I prefer the blower is you don't end up with a huge pile of show narrowing in with each successive plowing of snow....... it ends up being much easier of time to blow it than plow it. You could get by ok with any large wheeled blower and chains if your able bodied - it's just a lot of work.

I am deathly allergic to shovels!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 8 Old 11-10-2016, 04:38 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 94
Thanks (Received): 84
Likes (Given): 219
Likes (Received): 134
We've got a steep drive. Initial clean up done with two stage machine. Secondary cleanup done with single stage machine (down to bare pavement) if I think the whole thing is going to freeze up.

2014 Ariens 21" Path Pro 938030
2015 Ariens 24" SHO 921038 | poly skids
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks E350 thanked for this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page