LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 11-11-2016, 10:54 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 16
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 2
In the End I Chose...

After several weeks of reading and watching reviews on the internet, and of course discovering this forum and learning even more from you gentlemen here I finally bought a snow blower for my dad. In the end I’ll admit I was pretty much snow blowered out. It seemed that no matter which brand and model looked promising, each had its own faults and none was perfect (‘cept for those Yamahas of course ).

Nearing the end of my search I did notice that many people owned both single and two stage machines, with the SS getting most of the “ice time” and the two stage only coming out for serious storms. I had initially looked at the Honda 720 but the stiffness of the chute controller made me keep looking.

The final day of my search involved a four hour drive and stops to look at the Yamaha YT624EJ and the Toro Power Clear 721QZE. The Yamaha has such a solid feel to it. It is obviously a quality piece of equipment and looks so good just sitting there. I do really want one someday but I finally admitted the price is just out of my range at the moment.

Got to the nearest Home Depot in Calgary and found a PC 721QZE out on the floor. The chute controls felt really good and the lightness of the thing would make it easy for my dad to maneuver. It has overwhelmingly positive reviews as far as I’ve found anyway. It also seems to handle larger snowfalls than it is officially allowed to. I just needed to measure the box to see if it would fit in my Civic hatchback. The good news is that it would, bad news was that this store had all their new snow blowers sitting out in the roofless garden center and they were all soaking wet with standing water still on the tops of the boxes. I left for the next closest store that had stock and thankfully they actually kept theirs under a roof so it was nice and dry. Bought it, put in the car, drove to parent’s house, set it up and they discovered it sitting in their garage when they got home later that night. Dad was of course happy to see it. We haven’t had a chance to try it yet but it looks like snow is on the way next week.

I figure we can use it this year and see how it goes. If it turns out that he really does need a two stage as well we can get that later. At least he will already have a nice light single stage for the quick snow removal he will need to do most of the time. I'll let you all know how it handles this winter.

Last edited by velocityboy; 11-12-2016 at 12:21 PM. Reason: spelling
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks Hanky thanked for this post
Likes Hanky, detdrbuzzard liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 11-11-2016, 11:25 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 101
Thanks (Received): 76
Likes (Given): 327
Likes (Received): 147
Now we will see you in the Toro Forum, sure nice of you do get your dad a blower. I was wondering on what was happening in Alberta, at least you guys are ready for snow any day now.

2014,TORO 1128 OXE Power Max HD
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks velocityboy thanked for this post
post #3 of 10 Old 11-11-2016, 11:38 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanky View Post
Now we will see you in the Toro Forum, sure nice of you do get your dad a blower. I was wondering on what was happening in Alberta, at least you guys are ready for snow any day now.
Yeah it was 21C here today still. Haven't even put the oil in the blower yet. I also got dad a 10L No Spill gas can and filled it with Shell 91 (no ethanol right?) and added some Sta-Bil so he is ready to go when the snow flies.
post #4 of 10 Old 11-11-2016, 11:51 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 277
Thanks (Received): 62
Likes (Given): 159
Likes (Received): 77
You Canucks are such great people. Good for you to take such time and effort for your Dad!

(Sorry, B.C. (and Hanky) all Canadians are Canucks to us lower 48'ers...)
Post Thanks / Like - 2 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks velocityboy, Hanky thanked for this post
post #5 of 10 Old 11-12-2016, 12:06 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by E350 View Post
You Canucks are such great people. Good for you to take such time and effort for your Dad!

(Sorry, B.C. (and Hanky) all Canadians are Canucks to us lower 48'ers...)
Thanks, nice of you to say. My dad turned 78 this year so I think it's about time for him to put down the shovels. I'm thinking and hoping this small but tough Toro will work well for him.
post #6 of 10 Old 11-12-2016, 12:56 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 214
Thanks (Received): 293
Likes (Given): 1693
Likes (Received): 591
my toro 2450E was my only snowblower for years velocityboy, it got me through any and every snowfall we had. it took longer to get through deeper snow than a two stage machine but it got the job done. I keep a 3650 at mom's house so I don't have to load up the van with a snowblower each time it snows but if its really bad I take one of my two stage machines with me

current machines
1-toro2450E-38419. 1-toro3000E-38435. 1-toro 3650E-38445
2-toro 521E-38052. 1-toro xl824pt 38086
1-.............,TORO XL 624ps..............
1-............, TORO XL 824ps..............
william
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes velocityboy liked this post
post #7 of 10 Old 11-12-2016, 01:09 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by detdrbuzzard View Post
my toro 2450E was my only snowblower for years velocityboy, it got me through any and every snowfall we had. it took longer to get through deeper snow than a two stage machine but it got the job done. I keep a 3650 at mom's house so I don't have to load up the van with a snowblower each time it snows but if its really bad I take one of my two stage machines with me
That's good to hear. I'm hoping this SS Toro will handle nearly anything, even if it's a matter of taking a bit longer sometimes.
post #8 of 10 Old 11-12-2016, 01:17 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 214
Thanks (Received): 293
Likes (Given): 1693
Likes (Received): 591
Quote:
Originally Posted by velocityboy View Post
That's good to hear. I'm hoping this SS Toro will handle nearly anything, even if it's a matter of taking a bit longer sometimes.
i bought my house about 15years ago and my neighbor across from me had an older ariens 5 or 6hp two stage machine. if the snow was deep or very heavy he would finish blowing snow before i would but my 2450 never failed to get the job done. the first snowblower i bought was a toro powerlite right after a blizzard, it wasn't the fastest but got the job done. the following week it got the job done with eight inches of snow so i have confidence that the 721 will work just as well

current machines
1-toro2450E-38419. 1-toro3000E-38435. 1-toro 3650E-38445
2-toro 521E-38052. 1-toro xl824pt 38086
1-.............,TORO XL 624ps..............
1-............, TORO XL 824ps..............
william
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes velocityboy liked this post
post #9 of 10 Old 11-12-2016, 09:34 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 101
Thanks (Received): 76
Likes (Given): 327
Likes (Received): 147
With your dad's age some times speed for getting the job done is not all that matters. If it take 10 minutes longer so what I know he will feel tons better and his back also. In Alberta where you are do you get a lot of drifting snow? In southern BC we get none. I might have to look at a single stage one day.

2014,TORO 1128 OXE Power Max HD
post #10 of 10 Old 11-12-2016, 12:33 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanky View Post
With your dad's age some times speed for getting the job done is not all that matters. If it take 10 minutes longer so what I know he will feel tons better and his back also. In Alberta where you are do you get a lot of drifting snow? In southern BC we get none. I might have to look at a single stage one day.
We do get drifting here sometimes but it isn't usually too bad on my dad's driveway and sidewalks. I'm thinking/hoping the QZE 721 will be able to handle it most of the time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page