LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 11-15-2016, 09:52 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Time for a New Unit!

I have a small suburban driveway - 4 cars and a sidewalk to clear. We don't get huge amounts of snow here and last year I used the snowblower three times. But we can get heavy stuff but the main reason I have a snowblower is the windrow at the end of the driveway when the plow goes by. It's wet during the day when it frequently gets plowed and by the time I get home from work its rock hard, so I want to allow the marvel of internal combuston to do the work.

I had a single stage but it couldn't handle the end of driveway stuff. Bought a well used Toro 622 and it has been fine for the last two years but the body is rusting away.

So I looked at a Toro 724 and 826 OE. Also the Ariens Compact 20 and 24 and 24 deluxe models.
The Ariens seems a little more "substantial" - more metal construction and larger tires (the Toro's look wimpy).

The one draw back I see in the Ariens is the chute control - its travel is clunky and notchy - not smooth at all (I tried 5 different units). The Toro's joystick design is much smoother. This is a key area for me with a small driveway as the thing will be pivoting more than spectator heads at a tennis match.

The other small thing I like about the Ariens is the oil drain pipe faces towards that back making an oil change slightly easier than the Toro's side, behind the tire drain pipe.

The Ariens Compact 24 is about $100 more than the smaller Toro.

I still like the Ariens but is the balky chute control a known issue or does it just need some wear and grease to smooth out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 11-16-2016, 12:36 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 124
Likes (Given): 78
Likes (Received): 167
The Toro Quick Stick chute control is very smooth and easy to operate. The 826 OE lacks a headlight and is of lighter construction than an Ariens 2 stage. However it is supposed to be a good machine with its anti clog system (ACS). Personally I would go with the Ariens Deluxe 24 if you can live with the over the dash crank chute control. You will get the heavier duty construction, as you mentioned easier maintenance, a headlight and excellent customer support. Best of luck let us know which one you go with and please post some pics after you take delivery.

Ariens Platinum 24 SHO w/369cc carbureted LCT motor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 10 Old 11-16-2016, 01:21 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 88
Likes (Given): 127
Likes (Received): 277
Either are good machines...... just depends on which features you like the best. I think the heavier machine is a little more advantageous even if you have to live with a clunky chute...... they are reliable, just not a slick of a design. Me being cheap - I'd just look for a really nice used machine over either of those though! ;>P

I am deathly allergic to shovels!

post #4 of 10 Old 11-16-2016, 09:18 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 18
Thanks (Received): 38
Likes (Given): 53
Likes (Received): 100
I think the ariens and the toros you are looking at are of the same quality. one has a headlight, one has a better chute control. either brand you will be happy with.
post #5 of 10 Old 11-17-2016, 10:05 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 9
Thanks (Received): 10
Likes (Given): 9
Likes (Received): 4
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanook View Post
--SNIP----

The one draw back I see in the Ariens is the chute control - its travel is clunky and notchy - not smooth at all (I tried 5 different units). The Toro's joystick design is much smoother. This is a key area for me with a small driveway as the thing will be pivoting more than spectator heads at a tennis match.
You can take care of the "clunky and notchy" feel of the chute travel by using some lithium grease or silicone on the interface between the chute and the impeller housing. That's what I did when I put mine together and it is now smooth and "non-clunky".

Bob
post #6 of 10 Old 11-17-2016, 10:08 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 21
Likes (Given): 5
Likes (Received): 50
Toro snowmaster. Trust me you will never look at another 2 stage again. Mine cuth thru the end of driveway piles no problem last year and is so easy to maneouver
post #7 of 10 Old 11-17-2016, 06:58 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 18
Thanks (Received): 38
Likes (Given): 53
Likes (Received): 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJHonda View Post
Toro snowmaster. Trust me you will never look at another 2 stage again. Mine cuth thru the end of driveway piles no problem last year and is so easy to maneouver
Tell us, was that the big storm you had last yr and how many inches did the snowmaster master.

Scott
69 ariens
toro 721r
toro 926 hd oxe
78 powerking 1614/48'' haban snowblower
post #8 of 10 Old 11-18-2016, 07:02 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69ariens View Post
Tell us, was that the big storm you had last yr and how many inches did the snowmaster master.
Not a huge storm but the end of the driveway pile has about 18" and very hard. I also did many driveways, Not one of two and the snowmaster had no problem with any of them
post #9 of 10 Old 11-18-2016, 07:29 AM

Post Thanks / Like
heres a snowmaster cutting thru an end of driveway pile that it way more then 18". Amazing machines

post #10 of 10 Old 11-18-2016, 08:25 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 124
Likes (Given): 78
Likes (Received): 167
Impressive the little engine that could. That EOD was being attacked with the full bucket width as well.

Ariens Platinum 24 SHO w/369cc carbureted LCT motor

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page