LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 11-20-2016, 01:49 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 28
Thanks (Received): 16
Likes (Given): 79
Likes (Received): 29
2014 Cub 528SWE, 28". Should I sell?

They sell new for 1099 at HD, before tax. I live in Northern Virginia, so it's had very little use, as you will see:

In a weak moment I bought a Honda HSS1332ATD, track drive to deal with 6 ft drifts at the family farm, which is now mine to do and is 3 hours from me.

Should I sell the Cub now that I have the Honda, and do you believe $700 is fair?

The only reason I'm on the fence is because it's a good machine and if I'm going to end up cleaning the neighbor's gravel driveways that they don't mark, maybe I should keep two, and not scratch the impeller and chute area of the new Honda. The thing cost $3,400.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 11-20-2016, 07:17 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 49
Thanks (Received): 36
Likes (Given): 91
Likes (Received): 63
Why would you keep a second machine for someone else? Unless they're physically incapable, offer to sell (or give) it to the neighbors whose gravel driveways you're doing.
post #3 of 18 Old 11-20-2016, 07:32 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 154
Thanks (Received): 290
Likes (Given): 389
Likes (Received): 954
I agree w/SnowG. Sell it to your neighbor, unless they are incapable of using it. Otherwise list it on Craigslist and also the very popular facebook sale sites. Only thing about them is you get lots of traffic and they usually offer exactly half of your asking price. Start at your desired price and maybe add OBO and see what happens. It'll sell right before the first heqvily advertised snow of the season.

Joe
Sent from my wife's old Toshiba that I practically had to rebuild... Windows 7 OS
Ariens 921001
Toro 38074- sold
Toro CCR 3650E-sold
Toro 5/21 sold
Ariens 5/22 ss
Ariens Sno Tek 7/24 sold.
Old green plastic snow shovel... Sent.to shovel Heaven
Old quarry shovel for ice.
New.green shovel
post #4 of 18 Old 11-20-2016, 09:15 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 125
Likes (Received): 168
I would keep it as a back-up if you don't need the money and if you have the space for it. Though Cub Cadet doesn't get much love on this forum, at that price point that Cub is hard to beat and would make a good back-up machine that can also serve you well in tight areas.

Ariens Platinum 24 SHO w/369cc carbureted LCT motor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 18 Old 11-20-2016, 12:00 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
It's a nice young couple with 5 kids. They're here for 5 years now. I had an MTD in decent shape that I put at the end of the driveway for sale, $400, three years after they moved in. Not a bite from them. I thought sure they'd buy it. Maybe they were strapped for cash at the time. Guy at the far end of the road bought it the next day.

I'm lucky to have them as neighbors, but it's year 5 and I'm getting younger, and I'd like to keep a ton of gravel out of the new Honda.

So having them buy it is unlikely. As to the price, do you think $700 is a fair price, if selling elsewhere?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowG View Post
Why would you keep a second machine for someone else? Unless they're physically incapable, offer to sell (or give) it to the neighbors whose gravel driveways you're doing.
post #6 of 18 Old 11-20-2016, 12:24 PM
JnC

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 59
Thanks (Received): 134
Likes (Given): 24
Likes (Received): 185
This is the time to sell, especially a machine that is in as good of condition as yours. If new is $1100 plus taxes I'd ask $900 and settle for $700 if anything.

No need to carry two machines, especially if the second one is just to clear the neighbors driveway. You seem like a nice person who is at least having the conundrum of this sort as most folks wouldnt think twice as to how their neighbor feels about this situation.

If you are on good terms with them then the best you can do is go over there and give them a heads up so they are not left hanging. Just let them know that you wouldnt mind keep doing what you did if you still had the old machine, with the new machine gravel is no bueno.
post #7 of 18 Old 11-20-2016, 12:31 PM
JnC

Post Thanks / Like
Also, I noticed that the distance between the CC impeller and the impeller tunnel is almost half an inch, if not more. This means that gravel is more forgiving as the chance of a piece getting stuck between the impeller and the housing is low. I'd advise inspecting the Honda's impeller/housing distance, in the old HS models its only around 1/4" inch, this means that if a piece ever gets lodged in between the two it can cause serious damage not to mention that Honda uses thinner gauge sheet metal compared to CC, Ariens etc.

Sell Sell Sell
post #8 of 18 Old 11-20-2016, 12:49 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks JNC. Awesome advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JnC View Post
Also, I noticed that the distance between the CC impeller and the impeller tunnel is almost half an inch, if not more. This means that gravel is more forgiving as the chance of a piece getting stuck between the impeller and the housing is low. I'd advise inspecting the Honda's impeller/housing distance, in the old HS models its only around 1/4" inch, this means that if a piece ever gets lodged in between the two it can cause serious damage not to mention that Honda uses thinner gauge sheet metal compared to CC, Ariens etc.

Sell Sell Sell
post #9 of 18 Old 11-20-2016, 08:40 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
You just gave me an idea, SnowG. Maybe give it to the guy two doors up - he doesn't have little kids who could get their hands caught in it or whatever, and he's mechanically inclined.

Part of the deal would be he helps the next door neighbor, the young couple next to me with the kids and where the guy just isn't mechanically aware. I worry about him getting his hand caught or storing the machine improperly where he'll never get it started in the winter. (He bought a used generator 3 years ago and it sits in the rain. Never changes the fuel. Never starts it. Etc. He just doesn't understand.) Anyway, if the guy two doors up that I give it to moves, the agreement would be that he gives the machine back to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowG View Post
post #10 of 18 Old 11-21-2016, 06:48 AM
JnC

Post Thanks / Like
This is how I look at this situation and I know some of you might think that I have completely lost hope in humanity; you do not owe your next door neighbor anything. I know you are looking at this situation as you'll be leaving them hanging if you sold the machine, I beg to differ, I am sure these folks did fine before you started helping them out and I am pretty sure they'll be fine once you stop doing so.

As far as giving the machine to the other guy and having him being liable for two driveways, I am not too sure he'll be too fond of that idea. It may sound great to him in the beginning, I mean who would mind the idea of getting a free machine but as the novelty of the free machine wears out and as he starts having arguments with himself over the years to come as to why does he need to take care of someone else's driveway when he has his own things to worry about he may just end up giving you back your machine and or stop doing a decent job on cleaning the property.

And if non of the above points make any sense then the one point that I want you to understand is the issue of LIABILITY. God forbid anything happens to you, your neighbor, his property, the third guy, his property etc etc the chance of it coming back to you, even remote as it might be, would be the lone reason why I would shiver of the idea of being the nice guy on the block.

Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.

Last edited by JnC; 11-21-2016 at 06:51 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page