LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 11-24-2016, 02:03 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 13
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 19
Left over Ariens

I have a new Ariens 24" deluxe on layaway,it's a left over from last year.i hope to pick it up this weekend.i was wondering if the factory skid shoes are sufficient for a blacktop driveway,or do you guys recommend poly ones? I've never tried auto turn before,I thought a few years ago when auto turn came out there was issues with it,just wondering if that's still the case..also what's the recommendations for breaking it in.thanks

2017 Ariens 24 deluxe 921045
2005 Ariens 8526 932105(sold)
Ariens ss522 (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-24-2016, 07:59 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 125
Likes (Given): 79
Likes (Received): 168
On winter 2016/2017 (the current new model this season in Ariens 2016 catalog) Ariens models the company revised the axle position on Deluxe and Platinum machines, it is now closer to the auger housing in an effort to remedy auto turn issues and give the machine better balance.

Last year's model has the previous axle position where people sometimes had issues with the machine squirreling down from side to side, more common on rough/uneven surfaces. The poly skids are thicker than the steel ones and help the machine glide over rough spots similar to ArmorSkids. I have them on my machine along with a weight kit and have not had issues with Auto Turn. I have a blacktop drive w/pavers at the EOD. I looked at the poly skids as a cheap insurance policy and they won't scratch decorative surfaces. You can see them on the second vid under my signature.

I hope you are getting a good discount on last year's model.

Regarding break in after 5 hours of use or one year, change from Dino to synthetic oil, always use a good fuel stabilizer like Star Tron or Marine Sta-Bil to prevent ethanol related fuel system issues. Always run the machine at full engine speed when under load unless your engine manual tells you otherwise.

Best of luck with your new machine.

Ariens Platinum 24 SHO w/369cc carbureted LCT motor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Cardo111; 11-24-2016 at 08:08 AM.
post #3 of 7 Old 11-24-2016, 11:21 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 62
Thanks (Received): 116
Likes (Given): 94
Likes (Received): 134
Garage
I have the Ariens poly skids and they work perfectly to keep the decorative surfaces from getting scratched. As an added benefit they work well with Auto Turn on smooth and rough driveways. Ariens made the wrong call in my opinion, they should have made the poly skids standard and kept the axle where it was.

My machine is quite heavy on the bucket which makes the machine less tiring to use since you don't have to pull up on the handlebars to keep the bucket from being wedged upward. I have had many machines that are light on the front end and they are not fun to use at all.

Your machine will be better when you replace the steel skids with the poly ones. The poly is long lasting too, so no problems except the additional cost.

2015 Ariens Platinum 30 SHO - model 921040
post #4 of 7 Old 11-24-2016, 11:53 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardo111 View Post

I hope you are getting a good discount on last year's model.

Regarding break in after 5 hours of use or one year, change from Dino to synthetic oil, always use a good fuel stabilizer like Star Tron or Marine Sta-Bil to prevent ethanol related fuel system issues. Always run the machine at full engine speed when under load unless your engine manual tells you otherwise.

Best of luck with your new machine.
I paid $850 before tax for the left over,now you got me wondering if the new design on this years is worth the extra $100/$150 or so,I'm not sure what this years 24 deluxe are going for..I guess now I have to decide keep the left over or pay the difference and get the new model,or is it a waste of money

Ariens ss522 (sold)
post #5 of 7 Old 11-24-2016, 12:08 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 8
Thanks (Received): 12
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 16
The new model will have more weight over the wheels, which has some advantages. But some people like weight over the front so the front doesn't ride up and buy weight kits to make it happen. So it's not about better or worse but what you're looking for.

What kind of area are you clearing? If it's hilly or you're making lots of turns the newer balance might be better. I read on moving snow that the wheels tend to slip on hills on the old style ariens.

But if you're doing long straight runs the front weight might help scrape better. Can you get behind both see how they feel to you?

FYI I've never used either of these machines. this is just my understanding of the tradeoffs.

Last edited by matto; 11-24-2016 at 12:13 PM.
post #6 of 7 Old 11-24-2016, 12:52 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 125
Likes (Given): 79
Likes (Received): 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by ih8thepackers View Post
I paid $850 before tax for the left over,now you got me wondering if the new design on this years is worth the extra $100/$150 or so,I'm not sure what this years 24 deluxe are going for..I guess now I have to decide keep the left over or pay the difference and get the new model,or is it a waste of money
That is a good discount. The new Deluxe 24 with the revised axle position usually retails for $999. If you have a blacktop drive in good condition I don't think it is worth the extra $150. For the newer model. As a previous member mentioned, I would also recommend always getting behind any machine you plan on buying and see how it feels to you. After all you will likely be living with your choice for 15+ years.

Ariens Platinum 24 SHO w/369cc carbureted LCT motor

post #7 of 7 Old 11-24-2016, 02:03 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
My driveway is fairly new blacktop,no hills about 3 car length long one car width wide,we get problably around 70" snow fall a season.

Ariens ss522 (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page