post #1 of 11 Old 11-24-2016, 12:35 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 12
Thanks (Received): 106
Likes (Given): 107
Likes (Received): 250
This is a addiction

As the title says, I just cant stop looking for snowblowers to fix LOL
Well I was gifted a I'm guessing around a 90 ish (label is unreadable) MTD 5/24 and purchased a new carb, installed and this engine runs really well (Tecumseh 5hp) BUT it was revving way to high, Anyhow I started playing with the throttle screw to no avail and then doing slight adjustments to the governor arm and I have it running at what by ear is a good RPM but I really need to buy a tach, but for now it will do and was able to adjust the carb seeing I got one with needles instead of fixed jets, The big issue now is at full it runs great but as soon as I throttle down a little it just shuts down so no idle and the idle mixture has no effect, So I think the governor may be playing a big part in this. Messing with a governor is pretty new to me. My worry is that maybe the weights may not be moving free as they should but no heat in the garage so need to work on it in warmer weather. These snow blowers have been a great learning experience thus far but I seem to have 5 snow blowers in my garage ATM and really need to start moving these things LOL One is my original Snapper 6/22 that runs great and may be keeping a while longer, My backup 3.5hp single stage, A Toro 521 I got cheap and repaired for the girlfriends house, A old craftsman 5/23 I got for $20 I figured I would use for parts but I now have all the parts to put it back together when I have time and my brother will take it for cost (he is my brother after all) and now this MTD. Might use it for the winter but may also sell it if someone has money that needs a cheap one and put that to getting a newer one but I want to keep the budget around $400-$500 for a good used one that doesn't need a ton of work. Then I may sell the Snapper after I find one I can depend on. Is there any organisations to get help with this addiction??? Maybe a good SBA (Snow Blowers Autonomous) group I can attend? What can I do to stop????Someone help me PLEASE LOL.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 11-24-2016, 01:06 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 480
Thanks (Received): 348
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1142
Trust me the high only lasts for a time. after that the crash landing gets old real quick.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #3 of 11 Old 11-24-2016, 01:29 PM
JnC

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 58
Thanks (Received): 128
Likes (Given): 23
Likes (Received): 171
Welcome to the club, 4 years ago I stumbled upon an old Honda HS35, picked it up for $50, fixed the carb and the ignition switch and used it for a season.

Fast forward 4 years and now its a full blown addiction where I constantly need to be wrenching on something, keeps me sane I guess

I am all for an SBA.
post #4 of 11 Old 11-24-2016, 01:33 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 9
Thanks (Received): 98
Likes (Given): 18
Likes (Received): 260
Sorry, no SBA for me. It may be an addiction, but I'm proud of it!

~1994 Ariens 924084 (ST1032) "papa bear": restored, re-engined, real nice!
1991 Ariens 924050 (ST824) "mama bear"
Toro PowerCurve 1800 "baby bear"

Be alert! America needs more lerts.
post #5 of 11 Old 11-24-2016, 05:36 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 25
Likes (Given): 81
Likes (Received): 39
I can honestly say I have not done 1 modification to my machine. Not 1, several, but not 1.

HS 928 TCD. It's Canadian eh! (Sure I'm done modifying it, for now, until next time.......)
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes nwcove liked this post
post #6 of 11 Old 11-24-2016, 06:04 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 654
Thanks (Received): 163
Likes (Given): 1022
Likes (Received): 1062
Garage
It becomes an addiction when a neighbor gifts you a HS828 and it just needs a belt, an impeller bearing and a tuneup and then someone offers to give you 700 for it. With the winter just starting around here I could get more.

But, I'd only buy more tools as long as the wife doesn't find out about it. ha
post #7 of 11 Old 11-24-2016, 06:39 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Yes I'm debating what to sell to buy a bigger machine myself, Friend offered my a 2yr old 28" Troy built for $300 if he decides he's moving in a month or so, not a Troy fan but may take him up on it
post #8 of 11 Old 11-24-2016, 08:15 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 40
Likes (Given): 10
Likes (Received): 149
If you like tinkering with them but want put some guard rails on the obsession consider focusing on a brand, it worked for me.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes jrom liked this post
post #9 of 11 Old 11-25-2016, 08:27 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 139
Likes (Given): 14
Likes (Received): 326
I've had as many as 13 blowers at one time and I'm down to 5 or 6 at the moment. Until you have something else to focus your interest in, it's going to control many aspects of your life.
post #10 of 11 Old 11-26-2016, 04:36 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
It's happening again, have a lead on a 30+ yr old ariens tucked away in a shed, Belonged to my girlfriends Grand fathers and her brother now has it, tryingto get him to part with it LOL No idea what condition or model/size but I'll take it ......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page